Knee sprain? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
Pain mean's something wrong. Any physiotherapist worth a damn will not rehab through pain. There is a paradigm shift in the rehab world because of people like gray cook. Rehabbing through pain will lead to faulty movement patterns and crappy function in the future.

Where is the clicking? Under your knee cap? Inside, outside?
I'd almost just go on crutches for 2 weeks. If your knee isnt completely locking, i surgery usually isn't warranted.

What you can do is something called quad sets right now
Quad Sets - YouTube

Wouldn't do more than that until you're out of pain.
The clicking is on the top on the knee around the meniscus area(close to the acl area i suppose? pretty sure its not the acl itself though, it hurts on the insdie so pretty sure its meniscus) I was thinking I should do crutches as well but none of the doctors or physio I have seen have said anything about them, but I think you are right. Its been long enough its time they are warranted, not sure why they wouldnt have recommended them but maybe i didnt make my symptoms sound obvious enough.

Thank you so much you have honestly been just as much if not more help than the docotrs/physio I have seen jml!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olex View Post
Wow, how long is the wait in Canadian medical system? That sucks, considering USA visit for it, maybe? I wouldn't mess around with knees.
Not sure it will be over a month though im sure of that. It doesnt seem that ill need surgery though I may just have not been letting it heal properly. I wonder how much it would cost me to get a mri in the states though.

Last edited by seant46; 03-13-2013 at 11:00 PM.
seant46 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
There are private options in canada for an MRI, it'll cost you 350-1000 bucks
Exactly the same as USA, most people just opt for the free ones.
ALso if you have extended benefits, MRIs and all that godo stuff can be claimed back through your insurance.
Interesting, not sure if I should do that or not since im really trying to save for college this fall but ill have to make that decision.
seant46 is offline  
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have private insurance, go get an MRI like tomorrow lol.
Or if you have 300-500 bucks, go get one tomorrow, seriously haha.

So here's my take, most knee injuries involving twisting involve multiple areas of the knee so for example an ACL sprain will involve medial meniscus and a collateral ligament most of the time.
Since it's been so long and you're still in pain, It could mean a few things, you keep doing damage to the knee because you're walking or something else that is aggravating it (whatever it may be). There's a chance you might have torn something and it's bone on bone now, but who knows til you see it on MRI.
I would definitely go non-weight bearing, aka get crutches. Start with those quad sets, if it hurts, don't do it!

Wait, do you have a pain at night that keeps you awake? Does it hurt regardless of position?
jml22 is offline  
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
If you have private insurance, go get an MRI like tomorrow lol.
Or if you have 300-500 bucks, go get one tomorrow, seriously haha.

So here's my take, most knee injuries involving twisting involve multiple areas of the knee so for example an ACL sprain will involve medial meniscus and a collateral ligament most of the time.
Since it's been so long and you're still in pain, It could mean a few things, you keep doing damage to the knee because you're walking or something else that is aggravating it (whatever it may be). There's a chance you might have torn something and it's bone on bone now, but who knows til you see it on MRI.
I would definitely go non-weight bearing, aka get crutches. Start with those quad sets, if it hurts, don't do it!

Wait, do you have a pain at night that keeps you awake? Does it hurt regardless of position?
Yeah my room is in the basement so i have to do stairs daily lol, obviously not good for healing. Gonna go on crutches now i already have some and I think ill take your advice and just get the mri done paying for it, I had no clue you could do that. Yes it hurts regardless of position but i notice it more on the days where I do more walking some days its not as bad. It does keep me up at night.
seant46 is offline  
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
Yes it hurts regardless of position but i notice it more on the days where I do more walking some days its not as bad. It does keep me up at night.
Did you tell this to the doctor you saw?
jml22 is offline  
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
Did you tell this to the doctor you saw?
I told him i have pain but i didnt say it keeps me up at night no, might not have made it obvious enough
seant46 is offline  
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old are you?

Find an imaging center near you see if they do MRIs and then ask how much it is? Talk to them say you're a starving student with severe knee pain that is keeping you up at night. You've been told it'll be a 1-5 month wait and it's not something you can wait for.
Most imaging centers, especially new ones, will be starving for business so they might be willing to work with you if it's cash.
jml22 is offline  
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
How old are you?

Find an imaging center near you see if they do MRIs and then ask how much it is? Talk to them say you're a starving student with severe knee pain that is keeping you up at night. You've been told it'll be a 1-5 month wait and it's not something you can wait for.
Most imaging centers, especially new ones, will be starving for business so they might be willing to work with you if it's cash.
Im 21. Ok thats exactly what ill do hopefully it doesnt cost me a shit load but whatever its time to figure out whats going on!
seant46 is offline  
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'll need an MRI order from your primary care, might be able to call them and say hey i'm going to get an MRI at a private imaging clinic, i don't want to wait.
Or maybe find out how long the wait will be at least.
Make sure you tell them

"Yes it hurts regardless of position but i notice it more on the days where I do more walking some days its not as bad. It does keep me up at night."

You're 21 and the person should have asked those questions.
jml22 is offline  
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok Im not really sure if i have any insurance to be honest lol, if i find i dont I just call the imagine center directly then?
seant46 is offline  
Reply

Tags
injury, knee, knee sprain, physiotherapy

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome