Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Slam Section (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/slam-section/)
-   -   Knee sprain? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/slam-section/56530-knee-sprain.html)

seant46 01-19-2013 02:36 PM

Knee sprain?
 
Has anyone had any experience with healing a knee sprain before? I hurt it just over 2 weeks ago, and went to the doctor who said everything should be ok in up to six weeks. They x rayed it so it looks like its nothing serious, but i am still limping with slight pain 2 weeks later. The doctor told me I shouldnt need crutches but yesterday I started to use them anyways because I thought I would be walking better at this point.


A few questions if anyone has answers, or any advice is appreciated!


Is it ok so start physiotherapy(doc gave a prescription) now even though I still limp and have slight pain?

Will it heal back to %100 percent if I am careful with physiotherapy and everything?

If anyone has had this before, did you use crutches?

Thanks!

jml22 01-19-2013 02:42 PM

So the problem with the canadian system (im canadian) is docs almost never want to order an MRI for this kind of stuff. Also most GPs dont actually know anything about the musculoskeletal system.
So you say knee sprain, which means absolutely nothing in the real world.
How did you hurt it?
Did it pop or click? Did it swell up after you hurt it?
Can you walk? Does it give way? Has your knee ever given way?
Etc etc etc...

X-rays will only reveal bony stuff, so in the knee, it's basically fractures and arthritis and arthritis isn't always painful.
MRI will show soft tissue and blood flow to the area.
So when you say knee sprain, i think ACL, MCL, LCL, Meniscus etc etc etc....
You want to narrow down that list and proceed appropriately. If you have insurance i'd just go get an MRI. You can see a PT but not many PTs in canada can handle alot of this stuff. You can't treat what you dont know, i mean you can e stime ultra sound stretch this to hell, but if you did some major damage, it's not gonna get better.

When someone says it'll be better in 6 weeks that's because the body usually takes 4-8 weeks to heal stuff, if it can be healed by the body.

lo0p 01-19-2013 02:45 PM

I'm confused.
Your doctor told you it could take up to 6 weeks and you're worried because it's not 100% healed in 2 weeks?

If he told you not to use crutches then don't. If you're concerned about that give him a call.
And if he gave you a prescription for physical therapy then go.

seant46 01-19-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jml22 (Post 604234)
So the problem with the canadian system (im canadian) is docs almost never want to order an MRI for this kind of stuff. Also most GPs dont actually know anything about the musculoskeletal system.
So you say knee sprain, which means absolutely nothing in the real world.
How did you hurt it?
Did it pop or click? Did it swell up after you hurt it?
Can you walk? Does it give way? Has your knee ever given way?
Etc etc etc...

X-rays will only reveal bony stuff, so in the knee, it's basically fractures and arthritis and arthritis isn't always painful.
MRI will show soft tissue and blood flow to the area.
So when you say knee sprain, i think ACL, MCL, LCL, Meniscus etc etc etc....
You want to narrow down that list and proceed appropriately. If you have insurance i'd just go get an MRI. You can see a PT but not many PTs in canada can handle alot of this stuff. You can't treat what you dont know, i mean you can e stime ultra sound stretch this to hell, but if you did some major damage, it's not gonna get better.

When someone says it'll be better in 6 weeks that's because the body usually takes 4-8 weeks to heal stuff, if it can be healed by the body.

Hmm I didnt think about an MRI as i dont really know too much about this. I may look into that.

As far as which tendon it is, I am also not sure. I dont think its the ACL though but im not sure. The tender area is on the inside(left side) of my right knee.

I hurt it boarding, just landed regularly and twisted it awkwardly. no direct impact just twisted it while absorbing the landing. I didnt hear a pop or crack. It did not really swell up at all i dont think though, maybe a little. My knee has never given way before this. I can still walk (limping slowly) without the crutches but it hasnt improved in 2 weeks. I hope its just because I wasnt doing R.I.C.E enough

seant46 01-19-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lo0p (Post 604242)
I'm confused.
Your doctor told you it could take up to 6 weeks and you're worried because it's not 100% healed in 2 weeks?

If he told you not to use crutches then don't. If you're concerned about that give him a call.
And if he gave you a prescription for physical therapy then go.

Apparently it is a 2-6 weeks recovery if it just is in fact a sprain. I just am worried because I thought the walking would improve by now is all. I am just trying to get some other opinions other than 1 doctor.

seant46 01-19-2013 03:00 PM

I guess I'll know more when I go to physio hopefully they can pinpoint the injury like above poster was saying. I may also consider going for an MRI then too if I can.

jml22 01-19-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seant46 (Post 604258)
Hmm I didnt think about an MRI as i dont really know too much about this. I may look into that.

As far as which tendon it is, I am also not sure. I dont think its the ACL though but im not sure. The tender area is on the inside of my right knee.

I hurt it boarding, just landed regularly and twisted it awkwardly. no direct impact just twisted it while absorbing the landing. I didnt hear a pop or crack. It did not really swell up at all i dont think though, maybe a little. My knee has never given way before this. I can still walk (limping slowly) without the crutches but it hasnt improved in 2 weeks. I hope its just because I wasnt doing R.I.C.E enough

You need to goto someone in your area that is trusted and can do a physical exam.
why way did you twist, inwards or outwards?

So its probably a MCL sprain or medial collateral ligament sprain. If you hit knee on ice it can be a couple other things as well.

Regardless you need to get a physical exam done which includes, Anterior drawer test, Lachmens, joint line palpation, and valgus varus stress tests.
You can do other things but thatll sum it up the most. Depending on the level of sprain (confirmed by MRI) you should be ok. This physical exam can be done by DCs (find someone who has a CCSP certificate so search ccsp chiropractor in your area), orthopedists and orthopedic surgeons, there are more but that would be the best options.

Do you have any other questions?

jml22 01-19-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seant46 (Post 604290)
I guess I'll know more when I go to physio hopefully they can pinpoint the injury like above poster was saying. I may also consider going for an MRI then too if I can.

You need reasoning to get an MRI, if osmoene takes a decent history and physical exam on you. If it's something minor an MRI won't be needed.
If it doesnt get any better then yes get an MRI because whoever diagnosed it got it wrong.

seant46 01-19-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jml22 (Post 604306)
You need to goto someone in your area that is trusted and can do a physical exam.
why way did you twist, inwards or outwards?

So its probably a MCL sprain or medial collateral ligament sprain. If you hit knee on ice it can be a couple other things as well.

Regardless you need to get a physical exam done which includes, Anterior drawer test, Lachmens, joint line palpation, and valgus varus stress tests.
You can do other things but thatll sum it up the most. Depending on the level of sprain (confirmed by MRI) you should be ok. This physical exam can be done by DCs (find someone who has a CCSP certificate so search ccsp chiropractor in your area), orthopedists and orthopedic surgeons, there are more but that would be the best options.

Do you have any other questions?

I twisted it clockwise I think. No impact on ice or anything. I am going to follow up on your advice.

I think you answered everything you can without a physical exam, one more noob question though:giggle:. If i am correct and it does happen to be just a sprain (MCL most likely) should it be able to heal back to %100?

lo0p 01-19-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seant46 (Post 604266)
Apparently it is a 2-6 weeks recovery if it just is in fact a sprain. I just am worried because I thought the walking would improve by now is all. I am just trying to get some other opinions other than 1 doctor.

Then I would go see a second doctor instead of asking on an internet forum :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2