Knee sprain? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Knee sprain?

Has anyone had any experience with healing a knee sprain before? I hurt it just over 2 weeks ago, and went to the doctor who said everything should be ok in up to six weeks. They x rayed it so it looks like its nothing serious, but i am still limping with slight pain 2 weeks later. The doctor told me I shouldnt need crutches but yesterday I started to use them anyways because I thought I would be walking better at this point.


A few questions if anyone has answers, or any advice is appreciated!


Is it ok so start physiotherapy(doc gave a prescription) now even though I still limp and have slight pain?

Will it heal back to %100 percent if I am careful with physiotherapy and everything?

If anyone has had this before, did you use crutches?

Thanks!
seant46 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the problem with the canadian system (im canadian) is docs almost never want to order an MRI for this kind of stuff. Also most GPs dont actually know anything about the musculoskeletal system.
So you say knee sprain, which means absolutely nothing in the real world.
How did you hurt it?
Did it pop or click? Did it swell up after you hurt it?
Can you walk? Does it give way? Has your knee ever given way?
Etc etc etc...

X-rays will only reveal bony stuff, so in the knee, it's basically fractures and arthritis and arthritis isn't always painful.
MRI will show soft tissue and blood flow to the area.
So when you say knee sprain, i think ACL, MCL, LCL, Meniscus etc etc etc....
You want to narrow down that list and proceed appropriately. If you have insurance i'd just go get an MRI. You can see a PT but not many PTs in canada can handle alot of this stuff. You can't treat what you dont know, i mean you can e stime ultra sound stretch this to hell, but if you did some major damage, it's not gonna get better.

When someone says it'll be better in 6 weeks that's because the body usually takes 4-8 weeks to heal stuff, if it can be healed by the body.
jml22 is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
lo0p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm confused.
Your doctor told you it could take up to 6 weeks and you're worried because it's not 100% healed in 2 weeks?

If he told you not to use crutches then don't. If you're concerned about that give him a call.
And if he gave you a prescription for physical therapy then go.

.lo0p
lo0p is offline  
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
So the problem with the canadian system (im canadian) is docs almost never want to order an MRI for this kind of stuff. Also most GPs dont actually know anything about the musculoskeletal system.
So you say knee sprain, which means absolutely nothing in the real world.
How did you hurt it?
Did it pop or click? Did it swell up after you hurt it?
Can you walk? Does it give way? Has your knee ever given way?
Etc etc etc...

X-rays will only reveal bony stuff, so in the knee, it's basically fractures and arthritis and arthritis isn't always painful.
MRI will show soft tissue and blood flow to the area.
So when you say knee sprain, i think ACL, MCL, LCL, Meniscus etc etc etc....
You want to narrow down that list and proceed appropriately. If you have insurance i'd just go get an MRI. You can see a PT but not many PTs in canada can handle alot of this stuff. You can't treat what you dont know, i mean you can e stime ultra sound stretch this to hell, but if you did some major damage, it's not gonna get better.

When someone says it'll be better in 6 weeks that's because the body usually takes 4-8 weeks to heal stuff, if it can be healed by the body.
Hmm I didnt think about an MRI as i dont really know too much about this. I may look into that.

As far as which tendon it is, I am also not sure. I dont think its the ACL though but im not sure. The tender area is on the inside(left side) of my right knee.

I hurt it boarding, just landed regularly and twisted it awkwardly. no direct impact just twisted it while absorbing the landing. I didnt hear a pop or crack. It did not really swell up at all i dont think though, maybe a little. My knee has never given way before this. I can still walk (limping slowly) without the crutches but it hasnt improved in 2 weeks. I hope its just because I wasnt doing R.I.C.E enough

Last edited by seant46; 01-19-2013 at 03:02 PM.
seant46 is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo0p View Post
I'm confused.
Your doctor told you it could take up to 6 weeks and you're worried because it's not 100% healed in 2 weeks?

If he told you not to use crutches then don't. If you're concerned about that give him a call.
And if he gave you a prescription for physical therapy then go.
Apparently it is a 2-6 weeks recovery if it just is in fact a sprain. I just am worried because I thought the walking would improve by now is all. I am just trying to get some other opinions other than 1 doctor.
seant46 is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I'll know more when I go to physio hopefully they can pinpoint the injury like above poster was saying. I may also consider going for an MRI then too if I can.
seant46 is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
Hmm I didnt think about an MRI as i dont really know too much about this. I may look into that.

As far as which tendon it is, I am also not sure. I dont think its the ACL though but im not sure. The tender area is on the inside of my right knee.

I hurt it boarding, just landed regularly and twisted it awkwardly. no direct impact just twisted it while absorbing the landing. I didnt hear a pop or crack. It did not really swell up at all i dont think though, maybe a little. My knee has never given way before this. I can still walk (limping slowly) without the crutches but it hasnt improved in 2 weeks. I hope its just because I wasnt doing R.I.C.E enough
You need to goto someone in your area that is trusted and can do a physical exam.
why way did you twist, inwards or outwards?

So its probably a MCL sprain or medial collateral ligament sprain. If you hit knee on ice it can be a couple other things as well.

Regardless you need to get a physical exam done which includes, Anterior drawer test, Lachmens, joint line palpation, and valgus varus stress tests.
You can do other things but thatll sum it up the most. Depending on the level of sprain (confirmed by MRI) you should be ok. This physical exam can be done by DCs (find someone who has a CCSP certificate so search ccsp chiropractor in your area), orthopedists and orthopedic surgeons, there are more but that would be the best options.

Do you have any other questions?
jml22 is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
I guess I'll know more when I go to physio hopefully they can pinpoint the injury like above poster was saying. I may also consider going for an MRI then too if I can.
You need reasoning to get an MRI, if osmoene takes a decent history and physical exam on you. If it's something minor an MRI won't be needed.
If it doesnt get any better then yes get an MRI because whoever diagnosed it got it wrong.
jml22 is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
You need to goto someone in your area that is trusted and can do a physical exam.
why way did you twist, inwards or outwards?

So its probably a MCL sprain or medial collateral ligament sprain. If you hit knee on ice it can be a couple other things as well.

Regardless you need to get a physical exam done which includes, Anterior drawer test, Lachmens, joint line palpation, and valgus varus stress tests.
You can do other things but thatll sum it up the most. Depending on the level of sprain (confirmed by MRI) you should be ok. This physical exam can be done by DCs (find someone who has a CCSP certificate so search ccsp chiropractor in your area), orthopedists and orthopedic surgeons, there are more but that would be the best options.

Do you have any other questions?
I twisted it clockwise I think. No impact on ice or anything. I am going to follow up on your advice.

I think you answered everything you can without a physical exam, one more noob question though. If i am correct and it does happen to be just a sprain (MCL most likely) should it be able to heal back to %100?
seant46 is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Senior Member
 
lo0p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
Apparently it is a 2-6 weeks recovery if it just is in fact a sprain. I just am worried because I thought the walking would improve by now is all. I am just trying to get some other opinions other than 1 doctor.
Then I would go see a second doctor instead of asking on an internet forum

.lo0p
lo0p is offline  
Reply

Tags
injury, knee, knee sprain, physiotherapy

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome