No broken neck, just a broken arm - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bamfb2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 390
Default

Dang, that's a lot of hardware you've got in that arm. You are going to light up like a Christmas Tree going through airport security. Heal up!
bamfb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bamfb2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
Usually people don't put on a cast until AFTER they break the limb in question.
Funny, that's how my snowboard armor purchasing sequence went. When I first started snowboarding, I had zero armor. Hit my head first day -> got helmet. Jammed tailbone very hard 3rd day -> got impact shorts. End of first season, severely sprained wrist -> got wrist guards. 2nd season started going off jumps, landed on ice on knees -> got knee pads.

Fast forward a bit to this season. Broke ribs, bought upper body armor that covers ribs. Haven't hurt elbows, but imagine I'll pick up guards if I break one.

Without my outwear, I look like a fucking storm trooper now.
bamfb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
You should wear a helmet when you leave the house.

What is that, advice? Usually people don't put on a cast until AFTER they break the limb in question.

If I were pushing myself to advance (as the OP is) and had already sustained a serious injury (as the OP has) and did not have the benefit of a 'safe' environment (foam pit, et. al.) then my first thought would be how to protect myself from further injury while continuing to progress with the sport.

you can't spot someone learning a misty flip/cork/<insert maneuver> on a board. This means that unless they are seriously talented gymnasts with godly air-awareness, hard falls (and the injuries that accompany them) are inevitable.

A forearm pad might be a glorified 'cast', but the protection you get from it means less wear&tear on your body, more days on the hill, and less chiropractor visits in your old age.

Whether you think that is wisdom, advice, or whatever is up to you.
__________________
Read on another forum: "If someone held a gun to my head and said, "You have to move to Salida tomorrow", I'd probably do it. If they told me I had to go to Breckenridge instead, I think I'd just let them pull the trigger."
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 5,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
If I were pushing myself to advance (as the OP is) and had already sustained a serious injury (as the OP has) and did not have the benefit of a 'safe' environment (foam pit, et. al.) then my first thought would be how to protect myself from further injury while continuing to progress with the sport.

you can't spot someone learning a misty flip/cork/<insert maneuver> on a board. This means that unless they are seriously talented gymnasts with godly air-awareness, hard falls (and the injuries that accompany them) are inevitable.

A forearm pad might be a glorified 'cast', but the protection you get from it means less wear&tear on your body, more days on the hill, and less chiropractor visits in your old age.

Whether you think that is wisdom, advice, or whatever is up to you.
Ok I get it. Keep the helmet on, its a dangerous world out there.

99% of people ripping through the trees and sending kickers are not gonna be wearing all this silly ass body armor, they ride many days a year and this kind of thing just doesn't happen. All this crazy body armor talk is for old people, weekend warriors and tourists (and I do not mean this insultingly): fact.

Calling her out for indescretion of youth, how about your ignorance of snowboarding? which is apparent on this snowboarding website now more than usual?

Kerasene get better soon yo, I won't feed this troll anymore it's your bionic arm thread.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 04-02-2013 at 02:42 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
Ok I get it. Keep the helmet on, its a dangerous world out there.

99% of people ripping through the trees and sending kickers are not gonna be wearing all this silly ass body armor, they ride many days a year and this kind of thing just doesn't happen. All this crazy body armor talk is for old people, weekend warriors and tourists (and I do not mean this insultingly): fact.
.
99% of people (tourist or not) don't go to the hospital for a snowboarding injury either. Riding everyday doesn't make you immune to accidents if you are pushing the envelope.... so what exactly is your point? That protecting yourself isn't 'core'? Ninja, please.
__________________
Read on another forum: "If someone held a gun to my head and said, "You have to move to Salida tomorrow", I'd probably do it. If they told me I had to go to Breckenridge instead, I think I'd just let them pull the trigger."
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
All this crazy body armor talk is for old people, weekend warriors and tourists (and I do not mean this insultingly): fact.
Bah, I buy a season pass every year, getting 40 days this year, and body armour is part of my daily routine. It has kept me on the snow more and allowed me to push myself more.

That said, I haven't been sleeping right for the last month after banging my ribs on a kicker. Armour isn't 100% protection!

Anyway, enough debating about this crap. Get well soon!!!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
cav0011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 794
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I'm 95% sure I have met you Karasene, you work at the lucky slice on 25th street in ogden right? My wife is obsessed with thier gluten free pizza
cav0011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 5,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Bah, I buy a season pass every year, getting 40 days this year, and body armour is part of my daily routine. It has kept me on the snow more and allowed me to push myself more.

That said, I haven't been sleeping right for the last month after banging my ribs on a kicker. Armour isn't 100% protection!

Anyway, enough debating about this crap. Get well soon!!!
Ya I wasn't trying to start a war, but Poutanen, you fall into the "old" category my friend. Hahah! Me too!!
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
Ya I wasn't trying to start a war, but Poutanen, you fall into the "old" category my friend. Hahah! Me too!!
Fair enough! Shit you put a 3 in front of your age and you're an old fart now... Jeez... What were we talking about again?
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Karasene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Utah/NH
Posts: 812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
99% of people ripping through the trees and sending kickers are not gonna be wearing all this silly ass body armor, they ride many days a year and this kind of thing just doesn't happen. All this crazy body armor talk is for old people, weekend warriors and tourists (and I do not mean this insultingly): fact.
Yeah I have to agree on this.. not saying I or anyone else I know and ride with are trying to be "core" by not using armor.. we just don't.. most of us are riding 60-120 days a season and are pretty successful to not get seriously hurt.. altho this season the mountain claimed a LOT of us. I think everyone feels comfortable with their ability to be successful on features. Many don't like extra bulk.

even so.. body armor still would have not prevented me smashing my bones. Nor would it have prevented me breaking my neck. No matter what you do to protect yourself no one is ever invincible. Not saying protection is never a good idea.. it's just something I think we feel we need less of the better you get at the sport. The one piece I will one day invest in is spine protection.. but of course after I get all the other more important safety features out of the way.. like Avy courses and a beacon/probe (got the shovel.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav0011 View Post
I'm 95% sure I have met you Karasene, you work at the lucky slice on 25th street in ogden right? My wife is obsessed with thier gluten free pizza

Haha.. weird. but yes! You must have met me. I think I'm outta the work game for 4 months right now.. but Lucky Slice is the shit! I love working for those guys. The company is going Cobra Dog style, everyone is a shredder and we're putting ourselves out there to give back to the snowboard community as much as we can . It's so rad.

Ha out of like 12 employees 5 of us got broke off this winter...
Kirt broke his hand on a wall ride,
Jake broke his collar bone
Nick cracked the heel of his foot off a rail
Me..
and Luke
My friend V tore her ACL.. it's been bad this year lol

Glad you like the pizza! It's the best I've had since Boston.

I'm so stoked too, we got a 2 page spread in the middle of SLC, snowboard Arkade Magazine last month, we've only been opened a year.


Thanks guys for the feedback.. feel free to argue away if you want. I don't give a shit. It's snowboarding. Shit happens.
__________________
To legit to quit.
On the move this season.

Last edited by Karasene; 04-02-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Karasene is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums