Ankle Sprain - been 5 months - anything other treatment than physio? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It takes 6-8 weeks for areas to heal, the pain isn't coming from damage to an area now. It's most likely because your muscles aren't controlling the joints properly and they're banging around against each other. For most ankle sprains you need to shut down activity so the ligaments can heal. In that time you can do rehab on the hip and lower leg, which will help you bounce back 100 times faster than sitting around doing nothing.

You need to find someone competent to manage your rehab to get your muscles firing the way they should again. When your muscles don't fire properly/in order, stuff bangs against each other causing your pain. Only way to fix it is to retrain those patterns.
Sean i sent you a message, hope you're doing ok!
jml22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
It takes 6-8 weeks for areas to heal, the pain isn't coming from damage to an area now. It's most likely because your muscles aren't controlling the joints properly and they're banging around against each other. For most ankle sprains you need to shut down activity so the ligaments can heal. In that time you can do rehab on the hip and lower leg, which will help you bounce back 100 times faster than sitting around doing nothing.

You need to find someone competent to manage your rehab to get your muscles firing the way they should again. When your muscles don't fire properly/in order, stuff bangs against each other causing your pain. Only way to fix it is to retrain those patterns.
Sean i sent you a message, hope you're doing ok!
Thanks man I replied. Really do appreciate all the help and being able to vent about my knees over the last few months!
seant46 is offline  
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Littlebigdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
Thanks man I replied. Really do appreciate all the help and being able to vent about my knees over the last few months!
haha i realized nowadays that finding someone competent is difficult.
Littlebigdreams is offline  
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you live
jml22 is offline  
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Littlebigdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Vancouver, Canada.

I've actually visited a few physiotherapists. The thing with my injury is the sprain actually does not affect my ankle's daily range of motions, I can basically do everything from running to basketball without problems (although I will sometimes aggravate the ankle with slight sharp pain).

Most conventional strengthening exercises I've tried are pretty easy and I haven't really found any good exercises. The location of the pain is exactly where the "fractured talus" images show if I do a random google search.

A podiatrist has lined me up for a MRI scan but this will take 6 months before I get my spot on the waiting list.

In the meantime I think I'll still ride but just won't take any chances with bigger jumps in the park =(
Littlebigdreams is offline  
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Have any of you guys tried riding with an ankle brace? Apparently I buggered up my ankle pretty bad, and my therapist mentioned the idea of wearing a brace, depending on how physio is going.
boarderaholic is offline  
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Depends what's wrong with your ankle man.
5 months is a long time for healing so limiting the range of motion isn't that big of a deal. The ligament should be healed as much as it's going to heal.
If it's still swollen a bunch , ya i would brace it but limiting dorsiflexion when riding would be a huge pain in the ass. You're going to end up hurting your leg or back.
Just for the record, rehabbing ankles you should feel results within like 1-2 weeks. If you dont feel better at all in that time, your physio isn't doing his/her job very well
jml22 is offline  
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
 
tonicusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Take this comment with a grain of salt because I'm not very knowledgeable about this like some of the other guys here. But I just got over an ankle sprain about this time last season. And I found I had to ride through some pain to get back to "normal". I was a little nervous at first that maybe I was doing the wrong thing. But after 3 weeks on the mountain I was good. I think you have to carefully push yourself and stop at some point if you don't turn the corner. That was my experience, not sure if the advice will be helpful.
tonicusa is offline  
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
Have any of you guys tried riding with an ankle brace? Apparently I buggered up my ankle pretty bad, and my therapist mentioned the idea of wearing a brace, depending on how physio is going.
Screwed up my ankle last year just before heading to Vancouver. I asked a sports therapist what was okay, and she said the ankle is fairly well protected in snowboard boots anyway. I had a mild injury though, some good swelling and pain about 4/10 at the worst... Was able to ride out of it and it fixed itself.
poutanen is offline  
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Moderator
 
boarderaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Screwed up my ankle last year just before heading to Vancouver. I asked a sports therapist what was okay, and she said the ankle is fairly well protected in snowboard boots anyway. I had a mild injury though, some good swelling and pain about 4/10 at the worst... Was able to ride out of it and it fixed itself.
I don't know if "partial ligament tear" counts as minor
boarderaholic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome