Hyper/Over Active lower back? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try yoga. I have upper back pain from sitting at a desk all day. I go to yoga a couple times a month and ask the instructor privately before class if he/she can incorporate back stretches into the routine. Works like magic.

Plus yoga is a great snowboard workout.
sheepstealer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
 
Casual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well for what it's worth, epsom salt baths are really good. Just make sure its so hot you can barely get into it. My IT bands are tight as hell too, but I can feel it... actually I think my neighbors can feel it lol. That shit hurts!
Casual is offline  
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
As for rolling IT Band, waste of time, you need to role out your glutes and TFL. Rolling out tendons takes months-years to affect the length where muscle bellies take days-weeks to see changes.
Although hip "tightness" can influence backpain immensely due to improper loading, you had a severe impact to your low back... you need to get checked out. At least a front to back, side and oblique low back x ray when you're standing.
No personal offense, but if you couldn't tell I'm not looking to go to the doctors. Call it a personal dogmatic perspective.

And just out of curiosity, from what experience gives you this perspective? Because I'm not sure if I 100% agree on certain things you've mentioned, as i've had conflicting perspectives. For example specifically targeting pressure onto tendons has made tremendous results on releasing muscle tightness in various areas of my body
SnowOwl is offline  
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstealer View Post
Try yoga. I have upper back pain from sitting at a desk all day. I go to yoga a couple times a month and ask the instructor privately before class if he/she can incorporate back stretches into the routine. Works like magic.

Plus yoga is a great snowboard workout.
I've been seriously considering it. Mind if I can request you ask your instructor if they can recommend stretches for muscles surrounding the hips and such?

And I just want to clarify I'm not trying to resist ideas that I don't agree with egotistically. I'm just trying have a full comprehension of how to approach it from any/all perspectives
SnowOwl is offline  
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowOwl View Post
No personal offense, but if you couldn't tell I'm not looking to go to the doctors. Call it a personal dogmatic perspective.

And just out of curiosity, from what experience gives you this perspective? Because I'm not sure if I 100% agree on certain things you've mentioned, as i've had conflicting perspectives. For example specifically targeting pressure onto tendons has made tremendous results on releasing muscle tightness in various areas of my body
I agree with jml22; you should get some diagnostic images. It's been far too long for you to have this sort of pain. See what's going on in there. Getting images is not the same as "going to the doctor" to just be handed a script.

Tendon stretch alone is approx <10% (at least in horses). The ability for a tendon to be supple is dependent upon its muscle's suppleness, which is why I assume jml22 is saying to target your glutes and tensor fascia latae (muscles) rather than the IT band.
EatRideSleep is offline  
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
I agree with jml22; you should get some diagnostic images. It's been far too long for you to have this sort of pain. See what's going on in there. Getting images is not the same as "going to the doctor" to just be handed a script.

Tendon stretch alone is approx <10% (at least in horses). The ability for a tendon to be supple is dependent upon its muscle's suppleness, which is why I assume jml22 is saying to target your glutes and tensor fascia latae (muscles) rather than the IT band.
Well in all fairness, I think I just figured out the core issue which would be reason enough for why I have had the issue for so long lol

And don't get me wrong. I definite don't down play the significance towards working the surrounding muscle tissue. Haha obviously if i'm going to be putting in the effort, I'll be working everything else in the process so no worries on that. I think I was actually trying to refer to hitting pressure points/nerve fibers that activate the given muscle. So there's that..lol
SnowOwl is offline  
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Muscles are the main contractile element, tendons are there to anchor the insertion into the bone and not split apart. When want to reduce tension on the tendon you want to reduce the muscle belly spazm aka lengthen the muscles.
Practitioners have been getting it wrong for years by working out the IT band... Yes it's sore but rolling out an IT band actually does nothing, you're more than likely hitting myofascial junctions of your quads.
To effectively and efficiently address IT band problems you absolutely must look at glutes and TFL before you ever look at the IT band.
IT band is the area of pain but the cause of that pain is in the muscles.

Go get imaging on your low back. You don't have to take a prescription like most MD's will prescribe but there's no point in beginning rehab unless you know what the problem is. So if you have a frigging pars fracture, it changes the ball game completely.

Also bird dog, glute bridges, cat camel, side bridges, dead bug in their primary stages are full back rehab exercises. They get people better for a reason, but you need someone to progress you through them. TIred of people starting at the hardest variations and saying it hurt. Well no shit, because 99% of the population can't do the hardest variations
jml22 is offline  
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
Muscles are the main contractile element, tendons are there to anchor the insertion into the bone and not split apart. When want to reduce tension on the tendon you want to reduce the muscle belly spazm aka lengthen the muscles.
Practitioners have been getting it wrong for years by working out the IT band... Yes it's sore but rolling out an IT band actually does nothing, you're more than likely hitting myofascial junctions of your quads.
To effectively and efficiently address IT band problems you absolutely must look at glutes and TFL before you ever look at the IT band.
IT band is the area of pain but the cause of that pain is in the muscles.

Go get imaging on your low back. You don't have to take a prescription like most MD's will prescribe but there's no point in beginning rehab unless you know what the problem is. So if you have a frigging pars fracture, it changes the ball game completely.

Also bird dog, glute bridges, cat camel, side bridges, dead bug in their primary stages are full back rehab exercises. They get people better for a reason, but you need someone to progress you through them. TIred of people starting at the hardest variations and saying it hurt. Well no shit, because 99% of the population can't do the hardest variations
Well let's say I do have a pars fracture. How would this change things? Cuz I mean at this point it's either that, or what I think. Or possibly a combo of them all. SO let's just say I do, now what?
SnowOwl is offline  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hard to say, i don't even know your age... nothing could be wrong with your back but if it's still swollen and causing you this much pain, something is wrong somewhere.
It's good to work on hip flexibility in general and maintain coordination of all the parts of your body but sometimes we just gotta know right?
A lot of boarders i see, i would say on average for being able to jib as good as they can, their balance is absolutely atrocious. Being strapped in overcomes our natural imbalances, but when we're not strapped in like most of our lives, these imbalances start becoming more and more apparent the worse and worse they get.

With the low back it's never just one thing, you gotta look at everything from head to toe. Just pieces to a puzzle.
jml22 is offline  
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
Hard to say, i don't even know your age... nothing could be wrong with your back but if it's still swollen and causing you this much pain, something is wrong somewhere.
It's good to work on hip flexibility in general and maintain coordination of all the parts of your body but sometimes we just gotta know right?
A lot of boarders i see, i would say on average for being able to jib as good as they can, their balance is absolutely atrocious. Being strapped in overcomes our natural imbalances, but when we're not strapped in like most of our lives, these imbalances start becoming more and more apparent the worse and worse they get.

With the low back it's never just one thing, you gotta look at everything from head to toe. Just pieces to a puzzle.
I came up with this, so lemme know if I this is credible or not:
Pars Stress Fracture

The only thing that seems to conflict is the standing/straightening aggravations. It actually aggravates me more sitting down or bending over, which is one reason I think it's hip muscles. Ruh-tarded. Either way, what's necessary for me to heal and rehab seems to be borderline same. I'll start to lay off heavy lifting, which blows because I was actually gaining progress towards my goals for once. I'll also start working on hip stability more. It's been too long since I've worked on my plyometrics and such, so I feel ya
SnowOwl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome