Hyper/Over Active lower back? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 865
Default Hyper/Over Active lower back?

So long story short, I hit a feature last season, and literally ended up going head over heels.... over it...and landed on my lower back. Needless to say it wasn't a pleasant experience. Since then however, it seems my lower left lumbar has become quite hyper active. To put it to light the best: imagine flexing your lower back for 9 months strait now.

After seeing 2 different chiropractors and some trainer friends, the only real option left to help fix it is a professional masseuse.

Standing with my shirt ON, one can visibly see the left muscles are far more swollen. Shirt off, and you can actually watch the muscle fire off and spasm...

Anyone on here have any experience with hyper active backs? Know of any good stretches to help break up the swollen muscle tissue? Or any exercise to balance out the muscles. Anything at this point lol

Honestly, the idea that I cant alleviate my own pain is more painful to me than the actual injury.
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Casual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 724
Default

Actually your best bet would be acupuncture. Combine it with massage if you like. Get some needles monday, massage tuesday, needles wed, massage thurs. You should be good after a week or so.

Oh and to answer this - Anyone on here have any experience with hyper active backs? Know of any good stretches to help break up the swollen muscle tissue? Or any exercise to balance out the muscles. Anything at this point lol

Yes!

FOAM ROLLER. Roll the shit out of it and stretch. A good one is stretching your arm up over your head and bending toward the opposite hip. That stretches the hip and low back really deep. Basicaly a sideways arch. A masseuse will give you a bunch of stretches after she assesses you though.

Just get a roller though, they help big time.

Oh and drink more water, that might just be the issue in itself?

Last edited by Casual; 09-27-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
Actually your best bet would be acupuncture. Combine it with massage if you like. Get some needles monday, massage tuesday, needles wed, massage thurs. You should be good after a week or so.

Oh and to answer this - Anyone on here have any experience with hyper active backs? Know of any good stretches to help break up the swollen muscle tissue? Or any exercise to balance out the muscles. Anything at this point lol

Yes!

FOAM ROLLER. Roll the shit out of it and stretch. A good one is stretching your arm up over your head and bending toward the opposite hip. That stretches the hip and low back really deep. Basicaly a sideways arch. A masseuse will give you a bunch of stretches after she assesses you though.

Just get a roller though, they help big time.

Oh and drink more water, that might just be the issue in itself?
Tbh I've actually consciously increased my water intake. AND I have my foam roller right here next to me

But acupuncture is a first one...sounds...interesting. I'll look into it and start considering external help Lol thanks
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Casual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 724
Default

Don't let the thought of needles scare you, it's not painful and it is the best thing for swollen muscles and accute injury. Just find somebody good that is versed in sports injuries. Peronally I go to an old asian dude that was a medical doctor in China and has been doing sports related acupunture for 30+ years, he has photos of famous Canadian athletes (including edmonton oilers) on his wall, signed saying thank you. He's fixed me up a few times now.
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
slyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milwaukee Suburbs
Posts: 2,774
Default

What did your X-rays show? Any structure misalignment. I now use a in inversion table of traction combined with stretching and this has helped me greatly.
I had structural issues which then caused muscle spasms and severe tightness in my back. The use of those two things helped me greatly!!!
__________________
Thanks
-Slyder
slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowOwl View Post
So long story short, I hit a feature last season, and literally ended up going head over heels.... over it...and landed on my lower back. Needless to say it wasn't a pleasant experience. Since then however, it seems my lower left lumbar has become quite hyper active. To put it to light the best: imagine flexing your lower back for 9 months strait now.

After seeing 2 different chiropractors and some trainer friends, the only real option left to help fix it is a professional masseuse.

Standing with my shirt ON, one can visibly see the left muscles are far more swollen. Shirt off, and you can actually watch the muscle fire off and spasm...

Anyone on here have any experience with hyper active backs? Know of any good stretches to help break up the swollen muscle tissue? Or any exercise to balance out the muscles. Anything at this point lol

Honestly, the idea that I cant alleviate my own pain is more painful to me than the actual injury.
Hyper active back isn't a diagnosis. Back pain is a diagnosis, which can be caused by hyperactive back muscles...
By if your back is hypertonic, there is usually a damn good reason to why, and also understand that hypertonic paraspinals does not = back pain.
Have you had x-rays done? If you haven't go get them, look for a pars fracture by the description of that mechanism.
Is there any popping and clicking? I'd also be worried about instability of some sort.

In terms of stretching and exercises, don't worry about the superficial muscles so much. you wan't to start activating and using the deep muscles.
Youtube
Bird dog
Deadbug
Side planks
Mcgill Side planks.
I'd also suggest find a PT certified in functional movement screening to help you with this if you are in Canada, or a CCSP/FMS/SFMA certified chiropractor if you are in the United States.
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,607
Blog Entries: 218
Default

It may be a naive question, but have you used icepacks? I have back problems (relatively minor, muscle rather than skeletal related) and when something starts to get chronic, a couple of ice applications usually take the swelling down enough to be able to stretch it out.
__________________

In retrospect, "Let's get the goat drunk"
should have been my cue to leave the party.
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 451
Default

If it's recent, ice yes. If it's been awhile, you need to get it looked at thoroughly. Preferably a doctor who takes the time to take a full history
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
What did your X-rays show? Any structure misalignment. I now use a in inversion table of traction combined with stretching and this has helped me greatly.
I had structural issues which then caused muscle spasms and severe tightness in my back. The use of those two things helped me greatly!!!
Pretty much this. An inversion table I could definitely use. I never really considered I was structurally wasn't intact. Though now it seems fairly obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
Hyper active back isn't a diagnosis. Back pain is a diagnosis, which can be caused by hyperactive back muscles...
By if your back is hypertonic, there is usually a damn good reason to why, and also understand that hypertonic paraspinals does not = back pain.
Have you had x-rays done? If you haven't go get them, look for a pars fracture by the description of that mechanism.
Is there any popping and clicking? I'd also be worried about instability of some sort.
To be fair I never said I was diagnosed with Anything Lol. And I definitely know what did it....I did a flip onto my back 20 feet past the feature

the mentioned exercises don't really help me. If anything they make it worse by further aggravating the muscles. Remember theyre hyper active not under active. I need them to loosen and relax some how without eating somas like they're skittles.

I'm thinking it has some correlations with muscles in my hips and legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
It may be a naive question, but have you used icepacks? I have back problems (relatively minor, muscle rather than skeletal related) and when something starts to get chronic, a couple of ice applications usually take the swelling down enough to be able to stretch it out.
Not naive, It's what my chiropractor keeps recommending but it can go either way. While it can reduce the swelling, it also makes it super stiff at times. So idk.
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bear Mountain
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
Don't let the thought of needles scare you, it's not painful and it is the best thing for swollen muscles and accute injury. Just find somebody good that is versed in sports injuries. Peronally I go to an old asian dude that was a medical doctor in China and has been doing sports related acupunture for 30+ years, he has photos of famous Canadian athletes (including edmonton oilers) on his wall, signed saying thank you. He's fixed me up a few times now.
I'll ask my half Chinese gf to hook me up with one of her millions of relatives
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums