Review: 2008 Flow "The Five" Bindings - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Jenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 819
Thumbs down Review: 2008 Flow "The Five" Bindings



2008 Flow "The Five" Binding

Stance: 22 Wide, +5 Back +15 Front Goofy

Conditions: Early season, snowmaker snow + a few centimetres of natural pow.

Boots: 2008 Thirty-Two Lashed size 9

Board: 2009 Neversummer SL-R 158

Cost: 156 canadian dollars

These Flow bindings are the "upper end of the lower end". These were my first time ever on a pair of Flows.

I bought the large because my boots tend to fit large bindings very well... and the size chart shows 9 as the upper end of medium. This was a minor mistake as the five baseplate in large is quite a bit bigger then I expected. While it didn't affect the overall performance much I would suggest mediums even if you wear chunky boots.

The second problem I had was the bindings shipped with bolts that were too short! One of the bindings I ordered (I ordered 2 pairs) came with replacement bolts, the other didn't so had to buy some slightly longer ones. The binding that had the replacement came with a warning card saying the bolts were too short which then explained why I couldn't get them to screw in

I followed the instructions for setup that came with em.

My first time putting these on was difficult. The biggest problem is the highbacks wouldnt stay down.. so I had to balance on one foot while holding the high back down with the foot I was trying to put in the binding.. then slide it in.
Forget it on a hill! Man so much for being faster it took me literally 5x the time to learn to get these on as my normal straps, lol.

I just don't see how you could get these on if you were stuck on a hill in pow.

I did get to the point where I could get my foot in quick, but the highback popping up was HUGE pain in the butt.

Another major problem was the highback latch. It was extremely hard to open, and hurt my hand after a while of getting in and out, it jabs right into the palm of the hand. It seems so stupid that they'd make it this hard to open.. I guess it has to be like that so your foot wont get out.

The bindings felt good once in, no single pressure points... however my first few times I did them up way too tight and cut off the circulation in my foot. Which a regular strap in, this would just be a matter of bending over and clicking the latch.

Unfortunately with the fives the toe strap part is not a quick ratchet latch, it is a plastic snap latch that is literally impossible to loosen when your foot is in and it is jammed with snow.

Being someone who likes to adjust their bindings on the fly this was a problem.

The top have a normal plastic ratchet but it is still hard to open once snow gets around it.The force of the binding being snapped in put pressure on the straps so it was impossible to fine tune once on the hill. Also the latches have to snap back in place, fumbling in the cold with tiny snaps is quite frusterating.

After a while I just settled with the bindings being too loose which felt better than having the circulation cut off.

The overall flex and feel of the bindings was great, no probs there, just everything else together makes me rate these bindings low.

I would suggest if you go for Flows, invest in the higher end models that probably don't have these issues.

Overall: 4/10
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
legallyillegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: fuck Snowboarding
Posts: 4,477
Default

Did you go to Sun Peaks?
__________________
THERE ARE SPECIFIC REASONS AS TO WHY I AM MORE LOCAL THAN YOU

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Jenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 819
Default

Na did a road trip to marmot basin in Jasper last weekend... was thinking about hitting up Sunpeaks wednesday
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Grimdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 780
Default

I agree that there is a definite learning curve to setting up and getting in and out of the Flow bindings. Getting back into them on a hill in powder is a bit of a challenge but doable. I've had the NXT-AT for the couple of years on my all-mountain board and the only problem I have had is the recall they had on the plastic pods. It would be nice to have a ratchet that you could adjust on the fly but I guess Flow probrably feels that this would make them too close to a strap-in binding. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
My experience and what I do in snowboarding is really quite
independent of the industry and the more independent it is,
the more pure and better I feel about snowboarding.- Craig Kelly
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Mooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Your pants
Posts: 1,589
Blog Entries: 1
Default

You have to spend some time dialing flows in to your boots. It's not something you should do right before getting on the lift. That said, once you've got everything set you don't need to touch it again for a long long time.
__________________
I have a word limit on my cynicism
Mooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Jenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 819
Default

I did dial em in before the lift, followed the instructions. There's no real way to know how they will feel until you ride. I am not hating on flows just found a few things about them that make them not for me, at least this model, namely the difficulty I had undoing the high back, and the erect bouncing highback syndrome.

Did you guys find the back latch very hard to open as well.. and did the high back stay down or was it a similar situation?

I switched back to straps for now though I was considering going for the higher end ones.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenzo View Post
The second problem I had was the bindings shipped with bolts that were too short! One of the bindings I ordered (I ordered 2 pairs) came with replacement bolts, the other didn't so had to buy some slightly longer ones. The binding that had the replacement came with a warning card saying the bolts were too short which then explained why I couldn't get them to screw in
Yeah, that kind of pissed me off. I think my replacement screws and the warning were hiding under a piece of cardboard, so I used the screws that came with it which at the time seemed fine. Got out on the hill, was speeding down the mountain and my binding pulled out, stripping all four of the holes it was in, ruining my good setup on my brand-new Anthem, and on top of that causing me endless amounts of pain and shame. Traded those bindings out fast. Now I have to move my binding over a notch to make up for the ruined threads. Not a big problem, but lame nonetheless.

A few months later while cleaning my room, I found the box and was breaking it apart for the trash when a small bag of replacement screws fell out, along with the warning, "Don't use the screws that came with the bindings. USE THESE SCREWS!" Why in god's name would you put the bad screws in to begin with?! Yeah, maybe I should have been more thorough looking through the box, but I wasn't expecting a problem so how would I know to look?

Apart from that, I didn't think they were all that great. I also didn't like how hard it was to put them on on an incline. The highback could be tricky at times to undo and redo as well. I probably won't ever try Flows again, I'm kind of bitter about my experience.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Jenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
Yeah, that kind of pissed me off. I think my replacement screws and the warning were hiding under a piece of cardboard, so I used the screws that came with it which at the time seemed fine. Got out on the hill, was speeding down the mountain and my binding pulled out, stripping all four of the holes it was in, ruining my good setup on my brand-new Anthem, and on top of that causing me endless amounts of pain and shame. Traded those bindings out fast. Now I have to move my binding over a notch to make up for the ruined threads. Not a big problem, but lame nonetheless.

A few months later while cleaning my room, I found the box and was breaking it apart for the trash when a small bag of replacement screws fell out, along with the warning, "Don't use the screws that came with the bindings. USE THESE SCREWS!" Why in god's name would you put the bad screws in to begin with?! Yeah, maybe I should have been more thorough looking through the box, but I wasn't expecting a problem so how would I know to look?

Apart from that, I didn't think they were all that great. I also didn't like how hard it was to put them on on an incline. The highback could be tricky at times to undo and redo as well. I probably won't ever try Flows again, I'm kind of bitter about my experience.


Yea my friend just happened out of the blue to see the spare bolts crammed in the one box or else I would never have known and would have probably had the same thing happen.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Mooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Your pants
Posts: 1,589
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenzo View Post
Did you guys find the back latch very hard to open as well.. and did the high back stay down or was it a similar situation?

Nope I don't have Mr Burn's hands. The latch it tight for sure but nothing hard to pop when you need to. If the high back isn't popping up easy for you to latch it, then you aren't getting your foot far enough into the actual binding. Take them into a shop and have someone set them up with your boots.
__________________
I have a word limit on my cynicism
Mooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Jenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 819
Default

ha, well I don't need a shop to know what a binding should feel like I've been riding since I was 14 and I am now 29 so yea, I think I know how to set up a binding. My friend said the exact same thing, the bindings are just silly hard to get off at least from a seated position. Even when standing the sharp knobs poked the meat of the hand!

Last edited by Jenzo; 11-25-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums