Building a snowboard drop-in ramp, advice/suggestions/help appreciated! :) - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 431
Default

Thinking about building one for my house, both for me and the kids to use sledding. I'm thinking about stealing some stuff from this plan, specifically wing nuts or something similar so I can take it down and put away easy. How To: Build A Drop In Ramp
Karpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpediem View Post
Thinking about building one for my house, both for me and the kids to use sledding. I'm thinking about stealing some stuff from this plan, specifically wing nuts or something similar so I can take it down and put away easy. How To: Build A Drop In Ramp
yea i'm probably going to do wing nuts and bolts for the ramp connecting to the base. i luckily have enough room in my backyard to hide the two structures on the side of the house without deconstructing it, will probably tarp it in the summer to protect from rain.

i also forgot to mention in my intial thread post that i live in alberta, canada so this ramp will always be used "with" snow, because i realized not all people get so much snow so this ramp was and will be created to always work with snow, just thought i'd mention!


that's my current backyard, that drop-in is 6 1/2 feet tall as of right now all hand made with a shovel...it was very time consuming thus why i'm building a drop-in lol.
GrieverXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
john doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,402
Default

More triangles!!! You really need to add some angled pieces to keep things from flexing. Also the middle support for the ramp should be angled back and connect to the base of the tower. Consider putting some cheap outdoor turf on the ramp so the snow has something to stick to.
__________________

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
More triangles!!! You really need to add some angled pieces to keep things from flexing. Also the middle support for the ramp should be angled back and connect to the base of the tower. Consider putting some cheap outdoor turf on the ramp so the snow has something to stick to.
thanks for the input! I was thinking carpet but turf will also work i guess, whatever is the cheaper alternative i think unless they have huge differences, i like your idea though! thanks!
GrieverXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 26
Default

Did some more work on the drop-in today, I have been taking your guys advice into serious considerations and I haven't gotten around to putting any diagonal pieces to further structure this base, although after testing it..i'm not really sure i may need to add any, it seems extremely sturdy and doesn't wobble a whole lot except for the fact we tested on uneven ice. but if I end up with spare wood in the end I will definitely consider reinforcing the base with diagonal pieces.

this is the current progress, The base seems complete as of now, next will be the ramp construction







EDIT:
Sorry i also forgot to mention that I am 175lbs and my brother is 210lbs, we both went up the ladder, stood on the top and nothing seemed to be affected much at all.

Last edited by GrieverXVII; 12-15-2013 at 11:44 PM.
GrieverXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrieverXVII View Post
Did some more work on the drop-in today, I have been taking your guys advice into serious considerations and I haven't gotten around to putting any diagonal pieces to further structure this base, although after testing it..i'm not really sure i may need to add any, it seems extremely sturdy and doesn't wobble a whole lot except for the fact we tested on uneven ice. but if I end up with spare wood in the end I will definitely consider reinforcing the base with diagonal pieces.


Dude, don't be an idiot. You asked us for advice and everyone's said add diagonal pieces. How many tower cranes have you seen in your life? Their support structure doesn't look like yours... It looks like this: Make yours look like this if you want it to truly be strong.



See how the diagonal braces are much thicker than the horizontal braces?!?
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post


Dude, don't be an idiot. You asked us for advice and everyone's said add diagonal pieces. How many tower cranes have you seen in your life? Their support structure doesn't look like yours... It looks like this: Make yours look like this if you want it to truly be strong.



See how the diagonal braces are much thicker than the horizontal braces?!?
Is it truly needed for my project though? Its only 8 feet high and feels more than sturdy already :/
GrieverXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
john doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,402
Default

Having built plenty of things with wood I knew this would happen. You put it together and it feels sturdy as hell. You clime up it, try to rock it around, and only have a little movement. Wood is not a stable material though. It will start to wobble. When you put a screw into wood it works by compressing and moving around the wood around the screw. Don't think that compression and shape change won't continue to happen over time.
__________________

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
Default

That's a lot of load to put on 4 pieces of 4x2. Couldn't you have got something thicker for the uprights?

Also, what's going to counteract the ramp when you put that on?
BradHati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrieverXVII View Post
Is it truly needed for my project though? Its only 8 feet high and feels more than sturdy already :/
How many times do you want to build it?
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums