Building a snowboard drop-in ramp, advice/suggestions/help appreciated! :) - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHati View Post
That's a lot of load to put on 4 pieces of 4x2. Couldn't you have got something thicker for the uprights?

Also, what's going to counteract the ramp when you put that on?
I was debating 4x4 posts, but realized they are made from the center of the trees which are usually softer and warp easier, could've put two 2x4's together which would've worked but this thing is getting fairly heavy already and theres no way i can change it now. As for counter balance, I have it leaning up against the deck and once its all packed with snow and surrounded by at least 3 feet high of snow, i figure it should be fairly grounded..

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
How many times do you want to build it?
Making it seem like it'll last me only a couple rides, everything eventually breaks down and needs to be rebuilt especially when exposed to the harsh elements, i am using pressure treated wood but im sure even though my design isnt perfect it will last me at least a couple years if not more depending on how often i use it.

Last edited by GrieverXVII; 12-16-2013 at 12:28 PM.
GrieverXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 67
Default

What about your screws ? I quess you thought of that but if your screws can't handle the weather and the amount of water in the structure you will be in deep shit...

As a carpenter and a housebuilder, add the diagonal supporting man. The amount of snow you use will put quite a large pressure on the structure, then add you on top of it and some momentum in the wrong direction and snap.. I'm not saying it won't last, just my opinion...
Rasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasse View Post
What about your screws ? I quess you thought of that but if your screws can't handle the weather and the amount of water in the structure you will be in deep shit...

As a carpenter and a housebuilder, add the diagonal supporting man. The amount of snow you use will put quite a large pressure on the structure, then add you on top of it and some momentum in the wrong direction and snap.. I'm not saying it won't last, just my opinion...
Appreciated, I will definitely see to these changes
As for the screws im using zinc coated wood screws along with those metal bracers.

Also i have a question if im going to make these changes, if i take out the two middle bracers and put one in the middle and then diagonal pieces, will the screw holes made from the previous bracers harshly ruin the structural integrity of the wood?.

Last edited by GrieverXVII; 12-16-2013 at 01:53 PM.
GrieverXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,344
Default

One thing you could do once it's all built and you're happy with is is treat the wood. I know you're using PT already, but I think you can get more life out of it by painting/treating the wood again.

If you end up being really happy with it, find somebody with a welder that wants practice and make a deal where you buy the steel and he welds it. Then paint with tremclad and it should last a lot longer than wood. Tons if guys in AB that weld for a hobby/work.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
One thing you could do once it's all built and you're happy with is is treat the wood. I know you're using PT already, but I think you can get more life out of it by painting/treating the wood again.

If you end up being really happy with it, find somebody with a welder that wants practice and make a deal where you buy the steel and he welds it. Then paint with tremclad and it should last a lot longer than wood. Tons if guys in AB that weld for a hobby/work.
Cool, great advice. Thanks for informing me.

So another question before i move on, i will probably be back peddling a bit here to fix the structure i have built based on all the feedback.

Which option would be best for my situation, factors that apply, lots of snow, 175-210lbs.
Option
A) 8 feet tall 2x4 box structure like i already have but with one long diagonal piece corner to corner
B) put a horizontal bracer in the middle of 8 feet and have two diagonal pieces corner to corner

Obviously B is the most sturdiest and durable, but probably a lot more heavier. But is B too overkill for what my plans are? Will A do just as good? Thanks again everybody.
GrieverXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
john doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,388
Default

Make all 4 sides look like this and you should be good.

__________________

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Make all 4 sides look like this and you should be good.

cool, i was at work or i would've drawn it out too haha, thanks for doing that for me!

it might be awhile till the next updates since i have some work to do on this thing, but thanks for all your valuable input and advice and hopefully next time i post some pics it'll be on the right track!
GrieverXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 67
Default

John doe has it right. Use those drawings and it's all fine. The diagonal supportings do miracles to the structure. We will be waiting for updates
Rasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #29 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,344
Default

Not sure how much you spent on wood, but in hindsight, for $200 you could have got 10' of scaffolding:

Scaffolding (Good Shape) - Strathcona County Ladders, Scaffolding For Sale - Kijiji Strathcona County Canada.

A lot easier to setup and take down, store for the summer. Should be a lot stronger too...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Not sure how much you spent on wood, but in hindsight, for $200 you could have got 10' of scaffolding:

Scaffolding (Good Shape) - Strathcona County Ladders, Scaffolding For Sale - Kijiji Strathcona County Canada.

A lot easier to setup and take down, store for the summer. Should be a lot stronger too...
But it's not nearly as fun I know from own experience that the feeling when you get something done by yourself is so good And if it actually works, it's even more awesome
Rasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums