Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Snowboarding General Chat (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/)
-   -   Do I need to tune a board for a beginner? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/124649-do-i-need-tune-board-beginner.html)

boomr 02-03-2014 11:29 AM

Do I need to tune a board for a beginner?
 
Hi there. I found out my wife wants to try riding. She is a very good skier and is thinking it looks fun. I have an old board that we borrowed from her cousin and it has been sitting for about 10 years. Should I have it tuned or maybe put some wax on the base before she tries it out? I am wanting to make it as easy as possible for her on her first day so looking for suggestions.

SoCalSoul 02-03-2014 11:35 AM

Couldn't hurt....do it. From my understanding, a proper tune and wax would help any board.

boomr 02-03-2014 11:47 AM

I just want to make it as easy as possible for her. Not sure if a sharp edge and smooth bottom would help or hurt someone on their first day.

poutanen 02-03-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomr (Post 1497041)
Hi there. I found out my wife wants to try riding. She is a very good skier and is thinking it looks fun. I have an old board that we borrowed from her cousin and it has been sitting for about 10 years. Should I have it tuned or maybe put some wax on the base before she tries it out? I am wanting to make it as easy as possible for her on her first day so looking for suggestions.

Honestly a rental board that's sized properly for her would likely be much better than a 10+ year old board. It may be the completely wrong size for her too!

Many resorts have a "learn to ski/board" combo for under $100 including rentals, lift tickets, and beginner lesson. That would be the way to go... If she gets it quick, great, if not she's much better off with an instructor than just strapping on an old board and trying out how to board...

Good luck to her! :)

nillo 02-03-2014 01:50 PM

well if you are gunning for a divorce, tune that thing up with a 0 base bevel and a 3 edge bevel. make sure not to detune the contact points and then try to teach her yourself.

Yeah, maybe a rockered rental beginner board and an instructor is the way to go.

boomr 02-03-2014 01:57 PM

I am thinking a rental and instructor is the way to go.

wrathfuldeity 02-03-2014 01:58 PM

Since she skis, teach her the mechanics of how the board turns, weighting the nose and etc. But also teach her how to fall....she likely does not fall much. Then do her a beginner rental board set up and a lesson with a hot dude.... and then go shred and meet her for lunch....unless she makes other plans during her lesson. :dunno:

24WERD 02-03-2014 02:19 PM

Get her on a rocker board. buy a roxy or gnu b-nice for under $200 from the last 3 years. Not much has changed for that model.

poutanen 02-03-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24WERD (Post 1497985)
Get her on a rocker board. buy a roxy or gnu b-nice for under $200 from the last 3 years. Not much has changed for that model.

Not everyone takes to the rockered boards. Why buy when she hasn't even tried boarding yet? Those learn to ski packages are usually about the same price as a single day lift ticket, so the argument of saving money by buying is moot. MOOT! :D

MGD81 02-03-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 1498321)
Not everyone takes to the rockered boards. Why buy when she hasn't even tried boarding yet? Those learn to ski packages are usually about the same price as a single day lift ticket, so the argument of saving money by buying is moot. MOOT! :D

Those gnu boards are extremely good boards to learn on, whether you should buy before even trying snowboarding probably doesn't make much sense.

Whatever you do,
1 don't send her out on that stiff cambered stick.
2 don't try and teach her yourself


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2