Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Snowboarding General Chat (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/)
-   -   Is this even allowed in the US/Canada? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/128401-even-allowed-us-canada.html)

OU812 02-16-2014 07:31 PM

Is this even allowed in the US/Canada?
 
I've noticed a lot of people here carry their snowboards onto the lifts. Instead of having one foot strapped in, they hold their board on the chair with their hands. The lifties don't care. Not only is this dangerous should the board slip and fall cause a lot of the lifts go directly above the runs, or when they are dismounting off the lift and running down the little decline holding their board but is that even allowed in Western Europe or US/Canada? I was in Kitzbuhel for a week and never saw anyone do this, but here in Czech Republic about half the boarders do.
You see a lot of weird shit when you live in a foreign country.

BigmountainVMD 02-16-2014 07:53 PM

That is definitely weird and not allowed anywhere in the US/Canada.

Jollybored 02-16-2014 08:13 PM

Happens here in NZ.
Generally it is the people who are still learning and are not comfortable strapping in and riding off a chairlift. But it is definitely allowed here - I don't see why it wouldn't be?

E: I have also done this - there is a lift where it rides on and off concreted areas - you have no choice! Or when it is near the end of the season and you cannot strap in!

andrewdod 02-16-2014 08:14 PM

definitely not allowed in the US... but with that being said... we had a dummy on a LTR go up on the lift today, fell getting on not once, but twice... fell getting off... hit the stop gate... and then couldnt figure out how to get down the mountain... so we did make him take off his board and carry it down, when he got back on the lift he hit the stop gate... and when he got back off again he hit the stop gate... keep in mind we told him to pick up his damn feet!

GreyDragon 02-16-2014 08:54 PM

Do the skiers take their skis off and carry them?

Sounds weird to me.
Never seen it in Canada/U.S.

EatRideSleep 02-16-2014 09:28 PM

I've seen it twice in the states.

First time was late last season, last chair. A chick a few spots in front of us was trying to load the chair, board in hand. No one really noticed until the lifty ran out as the chair spun around. Then shuttled her aside, explaining that she needed to be strapped in. She looked very confused. If this is common outside NA, perhaps she was foreign?

Second time was just Friday. Yet another chick in line, board in hand. She was with some other strapped in riders. I was slipping through the singles line so I didn't see if she tried to load that way, or if she was just chatting with friends in line. Either way. Odd.

BurtonAvenger 02-16-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD (Post 1542913)
That is definitely weird and not allowed anywhere in the US/Canada.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewdod (Post 1543001)
definitely not allowed in the US... but with that being said... we had a dummy on a LTR go up on the lift today, fell getting on not once, but twice... fell getting off... hit the stop gate... and then couldnt figure out how to get down the mountain... so we did make him take off his board and carry it down, when he got back on the lift he hit the stop gate... and when he got back off again he hit the stop gate... keep in mind we told him to pick up his damn feet!

I love how people are speaking as if they've been everywhere in the U.S./Canada. It is allowed, I've done it numerous times. Mt. Hood in the summer when the lower portion of the mountain isn't rideable you just walk on the lift with it and go up and walk off. Not a real hard concept.

ItchEtrigR 02-17-2014 02:05 AM

It's allowed in Norway.

snowklinger 02-17-2014 02:42 AM

pff you groms dont even know how TT rides/dismounts the lift.....

Liliana 02-17-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger (Post 1543121)
I love how people are speaking as if they've been everywhere in the U.S./Canada. It is allowed, I've done it numerous times. Mt. Hood in the summer when the lower portion of the mountain isn't rideable you just walk on the lift with it and go up and walk off. Not a real hard concept.


I suppose if there is actually not enough snow to ride on and off the lift, it makes sense. Otherwise, it really doesn't seem advantageous to load the lift while holding the board instead of strapped in, quite the opposite. If people do this because they cannot handle loading/unloading the chair with the board strapped in, I don't think it's such a great idea. Practice makes perfect. Sure, you'll make a fool of yourself a few times, then you learn and everything works much better.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2