Will stop renting.....what can I expect? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
jikastew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will stop renting.....what can I expect?

I posted here a week ago that I stopped with the skis and converted to the board. Nice decision for me. I'm in my early thirties, am in good shape, and found the transition very easy after the 2nd time down the hill.

I've been snowboarding 3 times now; progressively improving, mostly free-ride obviously. I've met some good people on the hill. All are surprised I've only done it a couple times (thanks Vision skateboards, I knew my dad was wrong about boarding all those years.)

So, I'm looking at boards. Yada Yada. I'll get one soon probably. Probably NW SL-R or Lib TRS-BTX. I'm lucky to have a good job.....one that pays fine and one that let's me go boarding.

My question is, what can I expect if I buy a new board? Do I really need one? The boards rented are pretty rough but acceptable (I think). There is some chatter and they are somewhat difficult to ride switch. Should I pony up and buy one now or wait longer until I have more time boarding?

If I get a new board, what to expect? Less chatter....catch less edges.....faster....???

Last edited by jikastew; 02-06-2009 at 12:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
statuie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi there,

Couple years ago I was in your shoes.I am over 30 and a beginner..probably now I am more an intermediate (I like to think that).
This year is the first year that I start to buy some equipment.
Don't buy new gear it is kind of expensive ..the good one.Go for a used equipment..you will find some on ebay, craigslist for your town/state, or some local shops.
What I am saying that...in couple years you will educate your self ..what do you like ..what do you need.
Stay on this forum..and you will get a lot of info.

Be safe out there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikastew View Post
I posted here a week ago that I stopped with the skis and converted to the board. Nice decision for me. I'm in my early thirties, am in good shape, and found the transition very easy after the 2nd time down the hill.

I've been snowboarding 3 times now; progressively improving, mostly free-ride obviously. I've met some good people on the hill. All are surprised I've only done it a couple times (thanks Vision skateboards, I knew my dad was wrong about boarding all those years.)

So, I'm looking at boards. Yada Yada. I'll get one soon probably. Probably NW SL-R or Lib TRS-BTX. I'm lucky to have a good job.....one that pays fine and one that let's me go boarding.

My question is, what can I expect if I buy a new board? Do I really need one? The boards rented are pretty rough but acceptable (I think). There is some chatter and they are somewhat difficult to ride switch. Should I pony up and buy one now or wait longer until I have more time boarding?

If I get a new board, what to expect? Less chatter....catch less edges.....faster....???
Do you rent a car, do you rent a house? Why rent a board and throw money away. It was $32 a day when I rented. I just landed a set of 09 Rome Targa for $160 shipped and currently shopping boards in the $400 range. Boots are another $150-$200 for a good pair. Total investment $750 max for a nice setup. That's 23 days of renting. Not to mention the waiting in line or picking up the gear, which takes time. I live in Texas and I can even justify that purchase any day. You already said you have a good job that pays fine. To me it's a no brainer.

Oh Yeah I almost forgot....I rode for the first time ever for a total of two days a couple weeks ago at A-Basin and I'm 34 years old. I plan on taking trips to CO at least 3 times a year from now on.

Last edited by ThugHunter; 02-06-2009 at 02:46 PM.
ThugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dawg Catcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Back to Arizona
Posts: 915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by statuie View Post
Hi there,

Couple years ago I was in your shoes.I am over 30 and a beginner..probably now I am more an intermediate (I like to think that).
This year is the first year that I start to buy some equipment.
Don't buy new gear it is kind of expensive ..the good one.Go for a used equipment..you will find some on ebay, craigslist for your town/state, or some local shops.
What I am saying that...in couple years you will educate your self ..what do you like ..what do you need.
Stay on this forum..and you will get a lot of info.

Be safe out there.
this is your best bet and a good idea, if you are uncertain about buying everything new troll CL towards the end of the season and you will see people practically giving away boards/bindings because they had the same idea of buying great gear and then got pissed when they didnt turn into shaun white in a week.
__________________
Dawg Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 232
Default

It's as simple as this. If you wish to continue pursuing the sport of snowboarding: buy your own gear.

1. Spend good money on boots. Plan on dropping about $200. Boots are probably the one thing you really can't skimp on. Try on a bunch of different brands, buy the one that fits your foot best. I've had good luck with Thirtytwo. Burton, Salomon, and Vans also all make good boots. K2s new boots look really sick.

2. Really sit down and think about how you spend(or want to spend) your time on the mountain. That's going to influence your board and binding purchase. If you just ride all mountain, you named two fantastic boards.(I ride an SL-R myself). Also throw the Lib tech T-Rice BTX in the mix as well.

I see no problem with buying a new board if you plan on continuing to snowboard, although used is fine. But ya.....renting at this point is wasted money.
scottland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lcstriker07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 110
Default

What to expect...a hell of a lot more time spent on the mtn! I started riding a few years ago. Renting each time and I really only went tice a year at best. This year I got my first set up and I've been 20 times already. There are some great sites where you can get this years boards for great deals. ^^^ He's right, Boots are where you start. There's a good boot fiting guide thread you should check out on here. It helps a lot to know your stuff before you go in the shop!
lcstriker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikastew View Post

If I get a new board, what to expect? Less chatter....catch less edges.....faster....???

I'm like you... intermediate and renting every time I board.
Nobody is answering your last question?
I am also waiting for someone to let us know if owning a bard will perform better.
Anybody???
paulperroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 687
Default

Depends on the board you buy. Some might be shittier than rentals i.e. all of Lamar, Morrow, 5150, etc. Higher end boards might incorporate better technology like carbon or bamboo stringers, made of higher quality materials, faster bases (rentals are usually extruded for durability, sintered bases are faster), and since you're picking the board, you get to pick your flex. From experience, all the rentals I've ever taken out rode like wet cardboard.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markee View Post
Depends on the board you buy. Some might be shittier than rentals i.e. all of Lamar, Morrow, 5150, etc. Higher end boards might incorporate better technology like carbon or bamboo stringers, made of higher quality materials, faster bases (rentals are usually extruded for durability, sintered bases are faster), and since you're picking the board, you get to pick your flex. From experience, all the rentals I've ever taken out rode like wet cardboard.
Thanks man! Finally a good answer
paulperroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
welldone101
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm a beginner who rented a few times, got a used board; and am still in my first season. As far as what to expect, the bought board was definitely easier to get used to for tricks like manuals and ollies where you have to bend the board and get used to the flex. Also as soon as you have your own board you will start to experience extreme desire to buy another.. and I assume after that.. another.. so definitely be ready for that.

Not sure about the chatter, edges, etc. Obviously my used one is better than the place I usually go, but the first place I went was a resort that had brand new gear for the year that trashed my current stuff. Everything you mentioned depends on how you keep the bottom of your board and your own edges in relation to how the shop at whatever hill you ride does, so it can't really be answered on a forum.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums