Should there be restrictions for park entry? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What restriction, if any, should there be on park entry?
None, everyone gets to ride with a lift ticket 40 58.82%
People who want to ride the park must watch an educational video on park riding and etiquette 22 32.35%
Park entry is based on ability which you must prove in a course to earn your park pass 8 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,340
Default Should there be restrictions for park entry?

What do you think? Should anyone be aloud to ride in the park regardless of ability? Or should there be limitations like a park pass?

Personally I'm sick of seeing kids that can't hit any feature in the park walking up jumps on ski's, moms standing on the knuckle of the jump watching their kid ride up and over a lip, and kid's on vacation bombing through the park cutting you off forcing you to stop short of hitting a large jump.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: So Cal - Bear Mountain
Posts: 484
Default

yeah I totally feel your pain.

I think a video teaching the proper riding techniques in the park would probably be the most plausible way of dealing with the problem.

People tend to do really stupid things in the park and I would assume that alot of it is out of ignorance.
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mijinkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 180
Default

I think the only time a park pass is needed is when the park has insane jumps and rails like the one at Blackcomb. Otherwise, everybody should be able to go in when they want. I don't want to watch a stupid video each time I go to a different resort.
plus, I bring my kids in the park with me and they stop beside the jumps to watch me.
mijinkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Random Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: an igloo in Canada
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
What do you think? Should anyone be aloud to ride in the park regardless of ability? Or should there be limitations like a park pass?

Personally I'm sick of seeing kids that can't hit any feature in the park walking up jumps on ski's, moms standing on the knuckle of the jump watching their kid ride up and over a lip, and kid's on vacation bombing through the park cutting you off forcing you to stop short of hitting a large jump.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm so sick of having to negotiate my way through 7 year olds while their retarded parents sit there and watch. I wonder if these same parents let their kids plan in traffic as well.
__________________
Shredding the ice coast, one hill at a time....
Random Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
oneplankawanka
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Etiquette my friends. That is what is needed. Also, peeps should ride the park that fits their ability level. Most resorts will have beginner and intermediate parks. What I would like to see is some kind of oversight in the park itself by someone with the authority to educate and let riders/skiers know when they are not adhering to the rules without being a Nazi about it.

I do feel your pain I just don't agree with the idea of regular park riders getting aggro and getting in peoples faces when etiquette is not practiced by newer and or in experienced users.

The resorts should tackle this issue and educate the people and maintain a presence in the park especially on busy weekend and or high use days.

The rules are posted when you enter any manmade features, but who takes the time to read them? and for that matter who cares? Oversight and on the spot education is what is needed. The resorts are being slack here IMO

Last edited by oneplankawanka; 03-01-2009 at 11:07 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Flick Montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana *sigh*
Posts: 4,168
Default

I don't personally go through the park, but I have seen many times where people are just sort of hanging out in front of features. Isn't that a bit like taking a stroll along the bottom of the half pipe?
__________________
Zombie Nation
Gear:
Rome Design 165 / Rome Arsenals
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Random Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: an igloo in Canada
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
I don't personally go through the park, but I have seen many times where people are just sort of hanging out in front of features. Isn't that a bit like taking a stroll along the bottom of the half pipe?
I like to think of it as someone trying to get a nomination for a darwin award.
__________________
Shredding the ice coast, one hill at a time....
Random Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,340
Default

Well the thing is there's a Nastar Race course at my local mountain and it has a gate that you are allowed through by staff. If they set up the same kind of entrance at the park I'm sure it would deter people from just dropping into it.

They even make you watch a short video at Six Flags before you can buy a speed pass. Resorts should at least consider something like that when they're selling a park pass.

And the park that I'm talking about is large features only. Most of the jumps require you to drop 200+ feet to clear. No 9 year old kids are hitting anything like that but they do like to walk up them or jump off 4 feet up the side. And there are dozens of them...if you wanted to wait till they all got out of the way you'd literally stand there all day before it was clear. Something has got to be done.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bakesale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 883
Default

Yes the groms and their parents in the park are a huge pain in the ass and a real danger but I don't believe that park access should be restricted. It would impact my ability to ride the parks at new resorts as well. Imagine going to a resort when on a road trip, you have fun in the powder in the morning and want to ride park in the afternoon. You roll up to the park and they pull some bullshit rule on you saying you need a special mark on your pass to say that you've taken their safety course, or even worse that you must have a helmet.

However they should spend more energy on discouraging kids and beginners from entering the park. If they begin to rate terrain parks as double black diamond areas, even the beginner parks it would help. They also need signs that are more clear and less wordy to warn people of the risk. I'm a firm believer in education, if you make people really understand the danger and the risks they will avoid it, if they don't then they have at least made an informed decision.

Last edited by bakesale; 03-01-2009 at 12:11 PM.
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Defy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Well the thing is there's a Nastar Race course at my local mountain and it has a gate that you are allowed through by staff. If they set up the same kind of entrance at the park I'm sure it would deter people from just dropping into it.

They even make you watch a short video at Six Flags before you can buy a speed pass. Resorts should at least consider something like that when they're selling a park pass.

And the park that I'm talking about is large features only. Most of the jumps require you to drop 200+ feet to clear. No 9 year old kids are hitting anything like that but they do like to walk up them or jump off 4 feet up the side. And there are dozens of them...if you wanted to wait till they all got out of the way you'd literally stand there all day before it was clear. Something has got to be done.
definitely sounds like something needs to be done there. I think i'd say something if their was a bunch of little kids blocking a feature. I don't think I could help myself.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums