Your Snowboard Vehicle. - Page 142 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 19Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1411 of 1985 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 06:31 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ARSENALFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
Sassicaia??

Definately Sassycaia
ARSENALFAN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1412 of 1985 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Member
 
Hank Scorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Around The Way
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool thread. I just got a 3rd car purely for snow trips/winter driving and it handles like a dream in the white stuff:



Hank Scorpio is offline  
post #1413 of 1985 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Varza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
^ That's what I'm eyeing for when I can, um... afford any vehicle at all. Which will be in 50 years. That or a CR-V.

Currently, "my" vehicle is my friend's CR-V.
Varza is offline  
post #1414 of 1985 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 PM
Member
 
Hank Scorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Around The Way
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varza View Post
^ That's what I'm eyeing for when I can, um... afford any vehicle at all. Which will be in 50 years. That or a CR-V.

Currently, "my" vehicle is my friend's CR-V.
For what it's worth, I'd take any Subaru over a CR-V purely because the AWD system on the CR-Vs that have it is reportedly pretty suspect and doesn't work as well as Subarus/Audis/etc... something about the way it engages in snow.

Do a quick search around Honda forums and you'll see a bunch of discussions about it that can give you more detail.

If you do get a pre-2003 Subaru though, make sure the head gasket has been dealt with because the 2.5-litre engines LOVE to eat them. Other than that, they're great snow cars.
Hank Scorpio is offline  
post #1415 of 1985 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Varza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
For what it's worth, I'd take any Subaru over a CR-V purely because the AWD system on the CR-Vs that have it is reportedly pretty suspect and doesn't work as well as Subarus/Audis/etc... something about the way it engages in snow.

Do a quick search around Honda forums and you'll see a bunch of discussions about it that can give you more detail.

If you do get a pre-2003 Subaru though, make sure the head gasket has been dealt with because the 2.5-litre engines LOVE to eat them. Other than that, they're great snow cars.
Oh, cool, thanks for the advice!
I know they make CR-Vs with 4WD, I would probably go for that instead of AWD. But I'm far more inclined towards the Subarus since I've seen so many on the mountain.
Varza is offline  
post #1416 of 1985 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Senior Member
 
ShredTaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Subaru <3. My foz(and miata), my brothers GC wagon, and his GF's sedan.

ShredTaos is offline  
post #1417 of 1985 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varza View Post
I know they make CR-Vs with 4WD, I would probably go for that instead of AWD. But I'm far more inclined towards the Subarus since I've seen so many on the mountain.
Generally vehicles won't be offered in both 4WD and AWD versions. AWD is what you'll find on CRVs, RAV4s, Subarus, Celica Alltracs, etc.

4WD is what you'll find on 4Runners, pickups, etc.

The main difference is that usually 4WD will come with a selectable transfer case (4 hi, 4 low, 2 hi). The transfer case usually locks the front and rear drivetrain, and that combined with some form of lcoking/limited slip front and rear diffs can actually result in a vehicle that will drive all 4 wheels.

AWD systems vary but generally offer some sort of torque splitting centre diff, and sometimes LSDs in one or both front/rear diffs.

For snow driving, there's basically no difference between 4WD and AWD, and the tires and driver make a larger difference than either system. For off-roading, 4WD > AWD any day...
poutanen is offline  
post #1418 of 1985 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 11:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't really have a designated snow car since I'm here in SoCal so I just my daily driver. 2014 subaru STI sedan
etc335i is offline  
post #1419 of 1985 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 12:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Varza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Generally vehicles won't be offered in both 4WD and AWD versions. AWD is what you'll find on CRVs, RAV4s, Subarus, Celica Alltracs, etc.

4WD is what you'll find on 4Runners, pickups, etc.

The main difference is that usually 4WD will come with a selectable transfer case (4 hi, 4 low, 2 hi). The transfer case usually locks the front and rear drivetrain, and that combined with some form of lcoking/limited slip front and rear diffs can actually result in a vehicle that will drive all 4 wheels.

AWD systems vary but generally offer some sort of torque splitting centre diff, and sometimes LSDs in one or both front/rear diffs.

For snow driving, there's basically no difference between 4WD and AWD, and the tires and driver make a larger difference than either system. For off-roading, 4WD > AWD any day...
Haha, the listings I was looking at a while back must have been wrong then
Or posted by people who didn't know the difference. I know the difference, that's why I thought it came with either. Didn't know that was impossible or unlikely.
Varza is offline  
post #1420 of 1985 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
 
Big Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
The thing with AWD is it's only AWD until one wheel starts to slip. Then all the power goes to the wheel that's slipping, and you end up with 1 wheel drive. Unless the vehicle had lockable or limited slip differentials which are extremely important things to look for. Just because a vehicle has an AWD badge on it, doesn't mean it's actually going to perform when it gets slippery.
Big Foot is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome