Your Snowboard Vehicle. - Page 44 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 14Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #431 of 1972 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
K1tt3n5
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Not true in all situations. Black ice 99.9% of the time is unseen. This is worse in snow since the bottom ice is covered by soft snow on top. I can't tell you how many people I see in their "invincible AWD" cars driving like they own the road in these conditions. Next thing you know, they have to start braking their vehicle because someone else slides in front of them or cuts them off because they weren't paying attention to blind spots while switching lanes. Braking in snow doesn't mean that the driver is bad. What's bad is a driver that thinks they have an end-all do-all vehicle. There are just too many other variables in snowy/icy conditions. The only safe way to drive, no matter your vehicle, is to get good tires and drive like an 80 year old grandma. At that speed, 2wd is sufficient.

Of course the game changes when you are on a wide open road. Then the 4WD can be really fun in those conditions. Especially a Soob.
Most people can't comprehend that awd truly only helps with turning and accelerating all cars have four wheel braking. That being said I can usually save an awd car in a slide it just takes balls to lay into it instead of slamming on the brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #432 of 1972 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Not true in all situations. Black ice 99.9% of the time is unseen. This is worse in snow since the bottom ice is covered by soft snow on top. I can't tell you how many people I see in their "invincible AWD" cars driving like they own the road in these conditions. Next thing you know, they have to start braking their vehicle because someone else slides in front of them or cuts them off because they weren't paying attention to blind spots while switching lanes. Braking in snow doesn't mean that the driver is bad. What's bad is a driver that thinks they have an end-all do-all vehicle. There are just too many other variables in snowy/icy conditions. The only safe way to drive, no matter your vehicle, is to get good tires and drive like an 80 year old grandma. At that speed, 2wd is sufficient.

Of course the game changes when you are on a wide open road. Then the 4WD can be really fun in those conditions. Especially a Soob.
I am 100% with you on this. I hate awd (most of them) drivers. I always say that is not the car but the driver. And how he perceives the pottential danger. I am very carefull and take a lot under consideration when driving in winter condition. And we all schould do it. I got my sub not because of the awesome awd system they have but because I can put my dogs in the back and because they have good quality pet barier
snajper69 is offline  
post #433 of 1972 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1tt3n5 View Post
Most people can't comprehend that awd truly only helps with turning and accelerating all cars have four wheel braking. That being said I can usually save an awd car in a slide it just takes balls to lay into it instead of slamming on the brakes.
+1 to that bro.

It's all about control once you enter the slide. I just had this happen to me the other day heading to work. I was only going 15mph, but the road was at a slight downhill slant. It was enough for me to slide. I was pumping the brakes well before the light and the car just kept sliding. I tried to make the right turn, but realized that I wasn't going to clear the car that was at the red light. So I pumped the accel and brake "heel-toe" they call it and swerved the opposite direction since there weren't any cars coming on the other side. Cleared the car and I rode away unscathed.

A lot of drivers would just hold the brakes down while trying to steer away which won't do anything without actually pumping your accelerator while in the slide.

www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline  
post #434 of 1972 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Member
 
BigDouggieDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
zomg, WANT! i actually hated these things when they first came out but they REALLY grew on me. the yellow isnt my thing tho, no offense. looks good, i just cant drive a yellow vehicle.
I know T.J., the FJC is a love it or hate it thing. And, I agree with you on the color. For a long time now, I've been wishing it was silver or white.






'08-09 Lib Tech Skate Banana
'11-12 Never Summer Evo
'11-12 Rome SDS Targa
BigDouggieDoug is offline  
post #435 of 1972 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do you pump the accelerator or give it gradual, steady amounts of gas?

what's the proper way to brake going downhill? light to moderate pumping of the brake pedal?
squishydonut is offline  
post #436 of 1972 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishydonut View Post
do you pump the accelerator or give it gradual, steady amounts of gas?

what's the proper way to brake going downhill? light to moderate pumping of the brake pedal?
The best way is use engine to brake. but not everyone can do that depends on the transmission you have. Plus this still wont guarantee that you wont slip.
snajper69 is offline  
post #437 of 1972 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"A lot of drivers would just hold the brakes down while trying to steer away which won't do anything without actually pumping your accelerator while in the slide."

Yup the only option at time like this is to power through. once you slip holding brake down will not assit regaining the control. This is why the worst thing you can do is cut off a trucker in a winter, once he hits that brake he is turning in one big ass slate.
snajper69 is offline  
post #438 of 1972 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snajper69 View Post
The best way is use engine to brake. but not everyone can do that depends on the transmission you have. Plus this still wont guarantee that you wont slip.
I forgot about engine braking lol. Yea I also did an engine brake as well. I did it in my automatic. It's actually harder on a stick shift since there is a lot of stuff going on with manuals and you have to be conscious of how you ease off the clutch.

As for pumping my accel, it was a combination of light taps to higher revs. I tapped to get the car moving in the direction I wanted and used higher revs to initiate more abrupt direction changes.

I have a front wheel drive by the way.

www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline  
post #439 of 1972 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
 
Mr. Polonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, Empire State
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I forgot about engine braking lol. Yea I also did an engine brake as well. I did it in my automatic. It's actually harder on a stick shift since there is a lot of stuff going on with manuals and you have to be conscious of how you ease off the clutch.

As for pumping my accel, it was a combination of light taps to higher revs. I tapped to get the car moving in the direction I wanted and used higher revs to initiate more abrupt direction changes.

I have a front wheel drive by the way.

sounds like you know what your talking about petty thief

Without me, my board is useless. Without my board, I am useless
Mr. Polonia is offline  
post #440 of 1972 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Polonia View Post
sounds like you know what your talking about petty thief
If you have a Honda, I can break into it in seconds.

Sounds like a lot of info, but in the moment all of this happens in matters of seconds. It's almost a thoughtless process. I had to recall the incident in my mind to try and remember everything I did in that moment lol.

www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome