Stupidest snowboard stereotype? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar B R S View Post
I hear this a lot, but what my friend said is that skiing is easy to get started with (Start carving) but hard to get really good at, while snowboarding is the exact opposite. Snobwoarding is hard to learn, but once you get the carving down, it all goes by like that *Snaps*.
This is truth. Skiing is far more versatile. So much to learn and get good at with skiing.

Snowboarding is hard to pick up, easier to progress. This is of course outside of the park.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reviews and David Z's rants
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 AM
kMc
Senior Member
 
kMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had a woman skier tell me that all snowboarders should have to take lessons for an entire season because we are out of control. i agree that some snowboarders need etiquette lessons, but that goes for some skiers too.
kMc is offline  
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
S4Shredr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well this steroetype came from a female cop up in VT. A friend of mine got pulled over in his VW GTI and she was like "You know what they say about VW driving snowboarder?", he replied, "Speeders?", she said "No" with a serious look on her face then said "Drug Dealers", proceeded to search the entire car and found nothing, ended up letting them go with a warning.

Pretty rediculous
S4Shredr is offline  
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 AM
kMc
Senior Member
 
kMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hahaha i was a vw driving snowboarder until i just got my new car. hilarious.
kMc is offline  
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
baldylox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! I drive a GTI. I guess I better watch out for that moron if I'm ever passing through VA.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
baldylox is offline  
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
baldylox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
This is truth. Skiing is far more versatile. So much to learn and get good at with skiing.

Snowboarding is hard to pick up, easier to progress. This is of course outside of the park.
Strongly disagree with the latter statement. Both sports are a life long education. Anyone who says that snowboarding is easier to get good at needs to reevaluate how they define "good". That's a myth perpetuated by old time skiers who don't understand the subtleties of the sport.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by baldylox; 03-02-2010 at 11:36 AM.
baldylox is offline  
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
Strongly disagree with the latter statement. Both sports are a life long education. Anyone who says that snowboarding is easier to get good at needs to reevaluate how they define "good". That's a myth perpetuated by old time skiers who don't understand the subtleties of the sport.
Of course there are little nuances of snowboarding. I'm just talking on a regular resort. Park and backcountry changes the game. I've seen snowboarders who have only been riding for two years killing the slopes.

Skiing is harder to master because there are so many ways for you to use all those edges and poles. With snowboarding, you have no poles and two edges to work with. Snowboarding is more focused on practicing and progressing. Same goes for skiing, but there is just so much to learn with skiing techniques because of the things I mentioned above. That is why I say it is more versatile and harder to master. Technique for technique, skiing outnumbers snowboarding.

As for getting your car searched for a traffic violation, you have the right refuse. Cops can't search your car for a traffic violation if they don't have anything solid leading them to believe you are in possession of illegal items i.e. drugs, guns, etc...

Cops don't have to ask you permission because the single act of you not refusing the search is basically you saying yes they can.

I've refused a search when I was living in Vegas before. Cop tried to search my car for running a stop sign. I asked what reason does he have to search it and simply said no when he didn't come up with a valid answer. They need what you call "reasonable suspicion". Saying snowboarders that drive VWs are drug dealers is not very reasonable.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reviews and David Z's rants
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo is offline  
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
 
Sam I Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The red dot on the map says, an I quote, "You are HERE"
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^^^^

Thank you Leo. You've just taught me something handy.

"Suicide hotline.....please hold."
Sam I Am is offline  
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
baldylox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Of course there are little nuances of snowboarding. I'm just talking on a regular resort. Park and backcountry changes the game. I've seen snowboarders who have only been riding for two years killing the slopes.

Skiing is harder to master because there are so many ways for you to use all those edges and poles. With snowboarding, you have no poles and two edges to work with. Snowboarding is more focused on practicing and progressing. Same goes for skiing, but there is just so much to learn with skiing techniques because of the things I mentioned above. That is why I say it is more versatile and harder to master. Technique for technique, skiing outnumbers snowboarding.
There are also skiers who've been riding for two years killing the slopes, but probably not a serious mountain unless they are riding 100+ days a year. I'm not trying to pick on you here, just think you need to open your eyes. There are many many many things to learn as far as technique for advanced riding. I'm guessing you've haven't gotten out west? Is it likely someone riding for two years can master a resort in Michigan / Wisconsin / Ohio? Yes, absolutely. Those are baby hills. Is it likely a rider could master Snowbird / Whistler / Jackson hole in 2 years? No.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
baldylox is offline  
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
There are also skiers who've been riding for two years killing the slopes, but probably not a serious mountain unless they are riding 100+ days a year. I'm not trying to pick on you here, just think you need to open your eyes. There are many many many things to learn as far as technique for advanced riding. I'm guessing you've haven't gotten out west? Is it likely someone riding for two years can master a resort in Michigan / Wisconsin / Ohio? Yes, absolutely. Those are baby hills. Is it likely a rider could master Snowbird / Whistler / Jackson hole in 2 years? No.
If you're talking off-trail, ungroomed runs, then no. Like I said, depends on the situation. For groomers and basic resort stuff, doesn't take long for a snowboarder to get good. I'm not saying snowboarding is easy by any means. I am just saying skiing has much more techniques to be learned. There are so many ways you can tackle the same run on skis. More compared to snowboarding tackling the same run.

Both are very hard sports no doubt. I guess it is pointless to sit here and try to argue about one being harder than the other. I didn't mean to make it sound like snowboarding is easy. I just meant the number of techniques.

Edit: And yes, I haven't been outside of Michigan yet. Something always comes up. It's a luxury I just don't have at the moment. I'm going to Aspen (staying in a condo there, but most likely riding other mountains there too) for sure this December though. I can't wait. I'm jonesing for harder terrain. We have steep places up North, but the runs just aren't long enough. Good thing is that it forced me to work on other things to keep myself occupied like ground tricks.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reviews and David Z's rants
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Leo; 03-02-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Leo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome