New sticky? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
deerpark30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: richmond,va
Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 1
Default New sticky?

Does anyone else think we need a sticky or a theard just for your snow vehicles. And when I say this I mean tips on how to make it your local hill safe when driving through the snow. Tips on how to chain your tires, bring salt with you if you get stuck on the road, because some of us don't have awd-4wd car/trucks. Just saying
Chris.
__________________
richmond,va-SnowRasta
deerpark30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,503
Default

Bring Salt?


Quote:
Originally Posted by deerpark30 View Post
Does anyone else think we need a sticky or a theard just for your snow vehicles. And when I say this I mean tips on how to make it your local hill safe when driving through the snow. Tips on how to chain your tires, bring salt with you if you get stuck on the road, because some of us don't have awd-4wd car/trucks. Just saying
Chris.
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
deerpark30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: richmond,va
Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlo View Post
Bring Salt?
To throw down behind your wheels if you get stuck, i dont mean the salt the cook with but like rock salt the stuff you lay down on your driver before a storm
__________________
richmond,va-SnowRasta
deerpark30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,503
Default

That I got...but if you get stuck you're better off wiuth a showel...or using brances or rocks under your wheels. Besides that if conditions are that deep either the road is closed or you need chains.
I believe they use pumice now, instead of salt. Less corrosive and cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerpark30 View Post
To throw down behind your wheels if you get stuck, i dont mean the salt the cook with but like rock salt the stuff you lay down on your driver before a storm
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
burritosandsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: slc utah
Posts: 928
Default

Dont take your rear wheel drive car up the snow covered mtn? Buy a vehicle thats better suited for your climate? Not too much rocket science involved in this process...
__________________
Burritosandsnow.com
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritosandsnow View Post
Dont take your rear wheel drive car up the snow covered mtn? Buy a vehicle thats better suited for your climate? Not too much rocket science involved in this process...
Eh, considering how many snowboarders also coincide in the age group that are also new drivers it might not be a bad idea to have a thread with some simple tips and tricks.
To be honest, it's usually the people with 4 wheel drive who end up thinking that they're invincible that have problems... (I'll be honest, I fell into this category at one point).
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
deerpark30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: richmond,va
Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
Eh, considering how many snowboarders also coincide in the age group that are also new drivers it might not be a bad idea to have a thread with some simple tips and tricks.
To be honest, it's usually the people with 4 wheel drive who end up thinking that they're invincible that have problems... (I'll be honest, I fell into this category at one point).
Yah me too. Like when I was planning my trip to snowshoe, they said all the roads were clear. And I thought when they said clear it would be snowfree but I hit some spots on the way there on when trying to make up the hill with to much snow for a fwd car t make it up, thank god I got my sisters 4wd. I personally think the most dangerous part of my trip is the drive up to my hill.
__________________
richmond,va-SnowRasta
deerpark30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
chupacabraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monashees
Posts: 876
Default

Salt under your tires? You mean gravel / sand. I suppose course rock salt would have the same effect, due to it's texture, but the saline in it doesn't matter. You're looking for traction you're not going to melt the ice away lol.

Although the proper setup helps a lot (weight over driving wheels, good tires, etc) 90% of it comes down to driving ability and experience in those conditions. You can definitely get by with a crappy setup if you know how to properly handle it (and I'm not talking about drifting here, I'm talking about proper feathering and and not spinning your tires, or heavy braking, etc)
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Muki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 476
Default

I'm screwed for this season...I have summer tires on my car..the fuck Can't afford other tires now
__________________
November needs to hurry up and come
Muki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums