Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Snowboarding General Chat (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/)
-   -   Driving up to the resort (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/33349-driving-up-resort.html)

KIRKRIDER 11-27-2010 02:23 PM

Driving up to the resort
 
on HW 88 is tricky...the road winds up for 60 miles, and the last 10 are particularly tricky. But it 's coming down after a day of riding that you see the accidents. People are tired but still want to go home fast. Yesterday a jacked up F-250 spun in front of me literally, on its oversized mud tires and slammed on the other side of the road. On a straight! OI have no idea how he managed to do that. he was 4 cars in front of me, and 2 cars from the COP in front of me ;)
Every weeekend, or pow day that I do..I see a truck involved in an accident. Or coming down I see them tailgating my WRX...freaaking out when I down shift, I don't use brtakes ulness I have to...pass me fuming,, to be stuck in front of me at the exact same speed.


/rant :)

Toecutter 11-27-2010 04:13 PM

My rant will be directed towards the A-hole who drove 30mph-35mph the entire way back down today, 100 cars stacked up behind him on a two lane undivided highway, either oblivious that he was causing so much traffic or just too inconsiderate to pull over at any one of the several pullouts. With today's road conditions (wet, slushy, snow in spots), 50mph would still have been a safe speed for most folks. It turned a 20 minute drive into a 40 minute brake-a-thon.

KIRKRIDER 11-27-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toecutter (Post 333343)
My rant will be directed towards the A-hole who drove 30mph-35mph the entire way back down today, 100 cars stacked up behind him on a two lane undivided highway, either oblivious that he was causing so much traffic or just too inconsiderate to pull over at any one of the several pullouts. With today's road conditions (wet, slushy, snow in spots), 50mph would still have been a safe speed for most folks. It turned a 20 minute drive into a 40 minute brake-a-thon.

Hate that too. Makes the drive back an infinite slog. 88 is particulary treacherous sometime....black ice and slush hidden behind turns when you finally relax and let go of the brakes...you'll never find me rushing it down... Maybe up-hill sometime....;)...I like my car in one piece for the next pow day ;)

snowvols 11-27-2010 06:16 PM

If you hitch hike you dont worry about the drive

Toecutter 11-27-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlo (Post 333351)
Hate that too. Makes the drive back an infinite slog. 88 is particulary treacherous sometime....black ice and slush hidden behind turns when you finally relax and let go of the brakes...you'll never find me rushing it down... Maybe up-hill sometime....;)...I like my car in one piece for the next pow day ;)

The one option that I will make certain comes on my next car will be adaptive cruise control, so I can set it to follow behind the car ahead at a given distance and not have to go so nuts with my brake pedal.

KIRKRIDER 11-27-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toecutter (Post 333396)
The one option that I will make certain comes on my next car will be adaptive cruise control, so I can set it to follow behind the car ahead at a given distance and not have to go so nuts with my brake pedal.

I use a manual stick that does the same. Not as easy on your spent calfs as an AT thou....after a day shredding.
Just keep distance....

Xelorz 11-27-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowvols (Post 333383)
If you hitch hike you dont worry about the drive

just about getting roofied and waking up in some guys basement.

Shocktroop531 11-27-2010 07:48 PM

gotta use the engine to brake. you'll kill your brakes riding them all the way down the mtn like that. I just keep it in 3rd or even 2nd if its a sketchy or steep stretch of road

snowvols 11-27-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xelorz (Post 333413)
just about getting roofied and waking up in some guys basement.

Meh I don't worry about that. Only one road up the canyon and they just go to the ski resorts here. Makes it much easier :cheeky4:

Toecutter 11-27-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shocktroop531 (Post 333442)
gotta use the engine to brake. you'll kill your brakes riding them all the way down the mtn like that. I just keep it in 3rd or even 2nd if its a sketchy or steep stretch of road

I know how to engine brake, but traffic speed is still very inconsistent when someone at the head of the line taps the brake. It causes a shockwave that propagates towards the back, so even if you're in a lower gear the flow is still herky-jerky when that shockwave passes your car. The adaptive cruise control (ACC) is really slick because it adjusts to the speed of the car ahead much more quickly and accurately than a person can. Theoretically if every car has ACC and used it, we could tailgate a few feet off of one another and speed up traffic without risking a crash. Mostly I want it so I can relax a bit more. Inconsistent traffic is a big pet peeve of mine.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2