Snowboarding is the new Skiing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
anti-bling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nagano, Japan
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Snowboarding is the new Skiing

Back in the 80's, that lame era of perrier, wine coolers, tight pants, and bad synth-rawk, skiing thoroughly sucked.
Not entirely mind you, some people didn't take it too seriously and rocked out (watch some old footage of Glen Plake)

But for the most part, it was populated with self-important, whining, look-at-me day-glo lameness. It had fallen victim to its own supposed 'coolness', and while it sunk deeper and deeper into conspicuous consumption, fashion, and narcissism, the lamer it got. Believe me, i was there, and i skied.

Then snowboarding came. It was soon outlawed by skiers who had 'rules' on the way people should look, or turn on the hill. Snowboarding exploded the narrow views and tight pants of skiing, no longer content with perfect their schnoodling on groomers, being on a snowboard meant you could hit EVERYTHING. All terrain was game, and the style was anti-skiing. Anti-rules, anti-elitist french fashion, and anti-seriousness.

And now 20 years on, snowboarders are again listening to bad synth-rawk and wearing tight pants.

But its not just superficial, snowboarding is now taking its own self-image as seriously as skiing did. And it is making the sport lame. Maybe you don't believe me. Snowboarding is still fun, you may say. Yes, but it is a very limited kind of fun nowadays, terribly overshadowed by worries about sticker placement and coordinated outfits and coolness.

The hype machine in its effort to sell snowboarding to everybody has also created a market for the unessential parts of conspicuous consumption, fashion, and narcissism, which is swallowing the sport. It makes me sad to see that snowboarding has taken over the place of skiing, the things it rebelled against.

Just wanted you to know.

Hating starts in three....


two....




one....

King Shit of Turdville

Last edited by anti-bling; 12-01-2010 at 02:44 AM.
anti-bling is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
 
Method's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Post Falls,ID
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't aware I should care what the other people are doing.


I think that about sums up this discussion... good day sir
Method is offline  
post #3 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Xelorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
I wasn't aware I should care what the other people are doing.
Agreed. Mind your own business. Problem Solved.
Xelorz is offline  
post #4 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-bling View Post
Back in the 80's, that lame era of perrier, wine coolers, tight pants, and bad synth-rawk, skiing thoroughly sucked.
Not entirely mind you, some people didn't take it too seriously and rocked out (watch some old footage of Glen Plake)

But for the most part, it was populated with self-important, whining, look-at-me day-glo lameness. It had fallen victim to its own supposed 'coolness', and while it sunk deeper and deeper into conspicuous consumption, fashion, and narcissism, the lamer it got. Believe me, i was there, and i skied.

Then snowboarding came. It was soon outlawed by skiers who had 'rules' on the way people should look, or turn on the hill. Snowboarding exploded the narrow views and tight pants of skiing, no longer content with perfect their schnoodling on groomers, being on a snowboard meant you could hit EVERYTHING. All terrain was game, and the style was anti-skiing. Anti-rules, anti-elitist french fashion, and anti-seriousness.

And now 20 years on, snowboarders are again listening to bad synth-rawk and wearing tight pants.

But its not just superficial, snowboarding is now taking its own self-image as seriously as skiing did. And it is making the sport lame. Maybe you don't believe me. Snowboarding is still fun, you may say. Yes, but it is a very limited kind of fun nowadays, terribly overshadowed by worries about sticker placement and coordinated outfits and coolness.

The hype machine in its effort to sell snowboarding to everybody has also created a market for the unessential parts of conspicuous consumption, fashion, and narcissism, which is swallowing the sport. It makes me sad.
Just wanted you to know.

Hating starts in three....


two....




one....
Meh, I'll give you some points for trying I suppose.
Snowfox is offline  
post #5 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
 
Toecutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mt. Bachelor
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice rant. Not sure what it all means, but I give you an A for enthusiasm.
Toecutter is offline  
post #6 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
 
c_mack9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: western KY
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maybe we should just kill all the snowboarders?
c_mack9 is offline  
post #7 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well that being said the only thing to do now would
be to rebel

Lets Ski!!!!!!!
ozman204 is offline  
post #8 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
 
Toecutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mt. Bachelor
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozman204 View Post
well that being said the only thing to do now would
be to rebel

Lets Ski!!!!!!!
Wouldn't the natural progression be to bring back ski ballet? Ha!
Toecutter is offline  
post #9 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Big Sky MT
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reference flick "Swift, silent, deep" for repudiation of above skier generalization.
caneyhead is offline  
post #10 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Junction of 84 and 35
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guess I was wrong. I'd been thinking Snowboarding is the new foosball.
Grizz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome