Well I was trying to keep it civil and hear comments based on experiences....I appologize if I wasted anyone's time by visiting a topic that, although previously visited, I had curiosity about. If you do not want to offer anything constructive look at the other topics in the forum, there are some excellent discussions out there that I am sure will benefit from your (linvillegorge)very valuable opinions. Thanks for looking.
Willy 36, about the boards, fair enough. About the golf clubs....I respect your opinion, and Clevelan wedges are where the money is...
Im pretty new to the forum....and I have noticed a certain degree of "hate" towards Burton.
I would like to hear solid reasoning, no bashing please. If you don't like the brand, tell me why and move on. We are all entitled to our opinions and I want to hear yours.
Personally their stuff has worked great for me (5'11", over two bills, would classify myself as an "advanced beginner"). I Ride a Burton board, bindings, and boots. Not drinking the cool aid, I just believe the longer you have at something, the better you are at it (Nike basketball shoes, Titleist golf clubs, apple computers, sony electronics, etc.)
As far as other brands, I know NS's are bulletproof (My next board most probably will be a NS). I know Mervin is made in the US and full of great tech (No personal experience so I can't make an educated comment). I can speak of K2 boards, and in my experience they are very good. That said, let's hear your civilized opinions.....
To be honest, I have not seen a Burton hate thread in a while (well, before my brief hiatus from the site anyways, thanks Apple) while I specifically saw several of "Why the hate towards Burton" threads. There's not nearly as much as you people seem to believe.
Going on to why you might see some people dislike Burton:
1. Moved all their production from the U.S.. Granted, a lot of companies have, but considering their role in the history of snowboarding and support of the recent Olympic U.S. Teams (although they did support others to my knowledge) it kind of hits closer to home.
2. Touting a "Support Local" campaign while having what many describe as prohibitive minimum buy ins as well as sometimes being direct competitors to those stores. (Sierrasnow didn't help...)
3*. Overproducing, which led to both potential quality issues (more boards made, more boards break) as well as a sharp decrease in perception of Burton brand value (why buy a Burton board when you can wait till Christmas and get it at a larger discount?)
4. A lot of people have had bad experience with lower end boards. Burton probably gets more heat since they just have so many boards to be honest. (Rentals, haha)
5. Overpriced (or at least the perception of overpriced) Boards. People feel you can get equivalent boards from other companies for $50-$100 less. Your mileage may vary.
6. Some leftovers from the original outcry about the incompatibility between EST and regular bindings. Largely gone since there are many adapter plates out now (and most people seem to admit that you might as well use it if you have a Burton board with it)
7**. Huge marketing campaign that annoys other boarders who have to explain that Burton is not necessarily the best brand, other comparable companies do exist, and there's more pro snowboarders out there than that ginger***.
8. They're big. It's cool to be a "rebel" rather than part of the big group.
9. They raped my dog.
10. Personal experience with products that legitimately failed them.
*They've cut back on this in the last year or so. Realized it was hurting the brand image.
** This is one of the reasons many of us (or at least I'm) quick to point out other snowboards that aren't from Burton's line. Honestly, I assume most people have already been to the Burton website and seen their products.
*** Extra points if they believe he created every single trick in existence. Specifically the double cork. I'm sure people will give him credit for the triple for some reason pretty soon.
p.s. Snowolf, can we make posting this and similar posts a bannable offense? Pweaaaaaaaase?