was at Stowe this weekend and my legs... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
was at Stowe this weekend and my legs...

are SO sore. i go riding every weekend. i squat in the gym. i run and my legs STILL get sore? why!!!! i am a gym machine and yet they still get sore while boarding.
illmaticnyc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
 
john doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, are you being sure to drink enough water during the day. A full day of riding could easily go through a gallon of water. Second, riding only every weekend really isn't enough to build up the muscles to the point of not getting sore.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
 
snoeboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Utica, NY
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
a late season pow day at stowe killed me too, im guessing the mountain was deep tracked out pow with mini pillows all over making your legs work a little extra
snoeboarder is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
First, are you being sure to drink enough water during the day. A full day of riding could easily go through a gallon of water. Second, riding only every weekend really isn't enough to build up the muscles to the point of not getting sore.
keeping hydrated non stop. during the week i run. i squat. i do lunges.

i ride hard at least once a week but still getting sore? am i too ambitious to think i shouldnt? also what do i do during the summer months to keep my legs in tip top shape for the next go around?
illmaticnyc is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeboarder View Post
a late season pow day at stowe killed me too, im guessing the mountain was deep tracked out pow with mini pillows all over making your legs work a little extra
ALL over. legs were taking an absolute beating
illmaticnyc is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
 
arsenic0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmaticnyc View Post
are SO sore. i go riding every weekend. i squat in the gym. i run and my legs STILL get sore? why!!!! i am a gym machine and yet they still get sore while boarding.
Are you doing heavy barbell squats? If i know im going to the mountain in the next day or two i take it easy with the heavy squats, otherwise my legs just cant do it lol..

Regardless on the really deep days all that extra pressure on your back leg will wear you out quickly...its basically like doing wall squats for X amount of minutes all the way down the run. And most people can only do those for 60-120 seconds if your legs are in good shape

'09 151 Never Summer SL-R
'10 K2 T1 DB Bots
'09 Burton Cartel Bindings
arsenic0 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Are you doing heavy barbell squats? If i know im going to the mountain in the next day or two i take it easy with the heavy squats, otherwise my legs just cant do it lol..

Regardless on the really deep days all that extra pressure on your back leg will wear you out quickly...its basically like doing wall squats for X amount of minutes all the way down the run. And most people can only do those for 60-120 seconds if your legs are in good shape
so i dont think my legs are that bad in shape. was doing long Vermont mtn runs (not like out west but big here for east coast riding)

first chair last call. no breaks. non stop.
illmaticnyc is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
BliND KiNK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Omaha, Nebraska (for now)
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you develop muscles differently snowboarding than you would for say weight lifting, bicycling, running..

If you took a guy in tremendously good shape threw him on a snowboard, he'd still be sore after a day of riding just because you use your muscles dynamically when riding, hit muscles differently (and for longer periods without rest)

I like to think of snowboarding as a cardio activity when I'm really in gear and all skank on the hill.... I mean going at it hucking 3's and stuff... regular riding doesn't make me sore anymore at all.....

and I don't work my legs out at all other than snowboarding.

I wanted a sig, but I need a job first.
BliND KiNK is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BliND KiNK View Post
you develop muscles differently snowboarding than you would for say weight lifting, bicycling, running..

If you took a guy in tremendously good shape threw him on a snowboard, he'd still be sore after a day of riding just because you use your muscles dynamically when riding, hit muscles differently (and for longer periods without rest)

I like to think of snowboarding as a cardio activity when I'm really in gear and all skank on the hill.... I mean going at it hucking 3's and stuff... regular riding doesn't make me sore anymore at all.....

and I don't work my legs out at all other than snowboarding.
what about when youarent snowboarding? i live in nyc so unfortunately i am limited to a few months out of the year
illmaticnyc is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
 
surfinsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmaticnyc View Post
what about when youarent snowboarding? i live in nyc so unfortunately i am limited to a few months out of the year
I play beach volleyball during the summer. The jumping and lunging in the sand is a killer workout for the legs. That said, I spent the day at Stratton on Saturday, same general conditions -- lots of pow pushed into big pillows everywhere. The blues weren't much different than the blacks, and yes, my thighs are sore as hell today. Powder will do that, especially here in VT where we're not so used to it.
surfinsnow is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome