Helmet Nazi's and so it begins - Page 11 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #101 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
East告de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 922
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyCH View Post
If one terrorist attack is averted by tapping everyone's phone then it's worth it





While I agree that children should wear helmets, how are they going to enforce this law? Station a police officer at each resort? Have ski patrol detain the offender until a cop can come issue a citation? The first option is a horrible waste of manpower. Not to mention, do you really want a real cop stationed at your hill? If you walk by a (ski) patrol reeking of kind bud, none of us care, if you walk by a real cop reeking of bud...well you get it. The second is a waste of safety personal time. If I'm babysitting little Billy and his parents until a cop can get there, guess what, I'm not on the hill doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Which is keeping you safe, issuing first aid, and dragging you down the hill if you break yourself. So my time is better spent babysitting some brat rather then splinting your broken leg?
First of all, the cell phone tapping is entirely different - and for what it's worth, if tapping my cellphone would've stopped 9/11, then yes, tap my cell phone. Whatever I'm trying to hide isn't as important as saving people's lives.

And in regards to how to police this - it's very simple. You normally have someone stationed at the tops and bottoms of lifts right? Well, if someone gets off the lift and takes their helmet off, the operator at the top of the lift could easily radio down to the person at the bottom of the lift. When that rider gets down there, the lower lift operator can ask them to see ID if they're of questionable age, or otherwise tell them they can't get onto the lift until they've got a helmet on. It's pretty damn simple. Resorts would be able to enforce the rule pretty easily, and would need to since it's not just policy but law. If a minor was to get hurt on resort property without a helmet on, it could end up negatively for the resort.
__________________

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #102 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
First of all, the cell phone tapping is entirely different - and for what it's worth, if tapping my cellphone would've stopped 9/11, then yes, tap my cell phone. Whatever I'm trying to hide isn't as important as saving people's lives.
I don't believe that any organized terrorist cell would use a phone for much, I believe they discuss these things face to face. So maybe we should have surveillance cams and microphones in every house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
And in regards to how to police this - it's very simple. You normally have someone stationed at the tops and bottoms of lifts right? Well, if someone gets off the lift and takes their helmet off, the operator at the top of the lift could easily radio down to the person at the bottom of the lift. When that rider gets down there, the lower lift operator can ask them to see ID if they're of questionable age, or otherwise tell them they can't get onto the lift until they've got a helmet on. It's pretty damn simple. Resorts would be able to enforce the rule pretty easily, and would need to since it's not just policy but law. If a minor was to get hurt on resort property without a helmet on, it could end up negatively for the resort.
Ummm if it's a law, then a citation has to be issued somehow. If no citations are issued the law becomes moot and no one respects it. So what is the point of wasting any (public) time, money or other resources on it? IMO if we got rid of stupid shit like this we wouldn't be in the economic situation we are in. If it's a policy then the resort is solely responsible for enforcing it. Then it would be as you stated.

**On a side note. Who the hell would take their helmet off at the top of the lift? What are ya gonna do, carry it while you ride so you look cool not wearing a helmet And if you have enough room in your backpack for a helmet, then why are you wearing a backpack to begin with ....I know to carry your helmet down the hill so you look cool
__________________
JeffreyCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #103 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,445
Blog Entries: 5
Default

so now, the lift operators earning $7/hour are going to be responsible for monitoring every person (and identifying potential minors from a distance) who gets off the chairlift and play snow-security? And the guy at the bottom is he going to stop the chairlift from running so he can chase down some kid and ask for ID? How will he know who to ask? What if the kid has his helmet back on by that time? What if the kid traverses and goes to a different chairlift? I do not think it is nearly as "simple" as you want it to be.

Also, on a related note: where I'm from, snowboard "leash" is also required by law. Only one of the 5 or 6 ski areas that I visit regularly makes any effort to enforce this, sure a helmet is far more prominent than a leash, but it just shows that just because something is codified as "law" doesn't mean that the resorts really will do a diligent job policing it.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #104 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
East告de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 922
Blog Entries: 1
Default

look, you can keep coming up with reasons why this doesn't work...and maybe it won't, but really it sounds like alot of people whining and bitching about a law that has little to no effect on them whatsoever. find an issue worth complaining about and complain about it. a state making a law that makes it mandatory for kids to wear helmets really isn't worth the bitching.
__________________

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #105 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
look, you can keep coming up with reasons why this doesn't work...and maybe it won't, but really it sounds like alot of people whining and bitching about a law that has little to no effect on them whatsoever. find an issue worth complaining about and complain about it. a state making a law that makes it mandatory for kids to wear helmets really isn't worth the bitching.
Your right, it is just one of hundreds(maybe thousands) of stupid laws on the books, and more then likely only a few(10's, 100's?) million dollars has been wasted on said laws. Who cares right...what's a couple mill here or there This one just happens to gain attention here because we are all snowboarders. I do see your point, however if we as a nation keep looking the other way on stuff like this because it doesn't directly affect us, then what? We end up with a bunch of useless laws that do nothing, can't be enforced, cost millions, and in the end what have we accomplished? Errr wait, we are already there, so trust the gov't to do what's in your best interest, spend YOUR money however they want, it'll be okay. Blind faith in our gov't is a wonderful thing, enjoy it while you can.
__________________
JeffreyCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #106 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
so now, the lift operators earning $7/hour are going to be responsible for monitoring every person (and identifying potential minors from a distance) who gets off the chairlift and play snow-security? And the guy at the bottom is he going to stop the chairlift from running so he can chase down some kid and ask for ID? How will he know who to ask? What if the kid has his helmet back on by that time? What if the kid traverses and goes to a different chairlift? I do not think it is nearly as "simple" as you want it to be.
Pretty simple really. Every lift I've ever been on the liftie looks at or scans my pass. When you buy a lift ticket if you are under 18 you have to show ID to prove it, and have a parent sign the liability waiver. Why not have the counter person check for a helmet at that point? Simply issue different tickets for minors, or add one more check sum to the code for scanners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Also, on a related note: where I'm from, snowboard "leash" is also required by law. Only one of the 5 or 6 ski areas that I visit regularly makes any effort to enforce this, sure a helmet is far more prominent than a leash, but it just shows that just because something is codified as "law" doesn't mean that the resorts really will do a diligent job policing it.
Yup, another idiotic law that does nothing, wasted taxpayers money, and legislators time to enact. I bet if you ask any lawyer they would tell you these aren't the only 2 laws on the books like that
__________________
JeffreyCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #107 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
East告de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 922
Blog Entries: 1
Default

lol there's so much I disagree with that it doesn't even make sense to reply - we obviously have very different view points on our government and on these laws. If this law cost a million dollars to instate, I'd be shocked - now compare salaries of government employees, or money wasted on private jets or dom perignon in air force one or tax write-offs or oil kick backs or a million other things. We as a country are incredibly wasteful with our money, and day to day people generally keep their mouths shut and continue on with their daily lives. Now, because this law was put into place and it is brought to your attention simply because it pertains to the sport you;re interested in, you have a qualm about government spending? How about instead of bitching and moaning about a law meant to protect people who aren't mature enough to make a decision about protecting THEMSELVES, you bitch and moan about government bailouts, free healthcare on the backs of the american people, and the abomination that is our president now.. who is a product of YOUR votes.
__________________

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East告de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #108 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,445
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Now, because this law was put into place and it is brought to your attention simply because it pertains to the sport you;re interested in, you have a qualm about government spending?"

Nah I have a qualm about pretty much everything else you listed, too. I thought I made that obvious. It is retarded to spend more money when you're already mismanaging and overbudget on the money that you do spend.

"How about instead ... you bitch and moan about government bailouts, free healthcare on the backs of the american people, and the abomination that is our president now."

I've done more than my fair share of that. And you know what people say? It's like fucking clockwork bro, as sure as the Swiss trains run on time, I get a response that rarely deviates from:
  • "It only costs a few $$$ and compared to XYZ that is practically nothing so why bother?"
  • "If it saves the life of one person then it's worth it!"
  • "It's for the greater good!"
  • "It doesn't affect you so why do you care?"
  • "'mericah fuck yeah!"
  • "It's not like you can change anything so why care?"

Last edited by david_z; 04-28-2011 at 11:25 AM.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #109 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 116
Default

This does seem like a stupid law. I think when resorts require kids to wear helmets for lessons or require their instructors to wear them, it is a more positive way to promote them. This law came about because a doctor's daughter died in an accident in 1988 and he has been trying to pass it in NJ for years:

When Nicole went on the school trip as a novice skier, we thought she would be throwing snowballs and playing in the snow in a very safe place. We had no idea how dangerous the sport is until we went down and saw the place where she had the accident.
Nicole was skiing on a beginner slope with two classmates, when they accidentally wandered onto a more advanced slope made bumpy by snow moguls, her father recounted. The three slipped and fell. As Nicole started to get up from behind a mogul, she was struck in the head by the skis of an airborne skier.

She immediately fell and was unconscious, indicating the severity of her injury, San Agustin said. An ambulance took Nicole to a small hospital in Rockland County, N.Y., which didnt have the surgical staff or diagnostic equipment to deal with her brain injury, San Agustin said. She died three days later."

One of the things my wife and I believe in is that things happen for a reason, San Agustin said. When this bill becomes law, what it will mean to us is that Nikki would not have died in vain. If this law saves one life and prevents a family from experiencing what we have gone through over the years, them again she would not have died in vain.

Earlier the law held ski area's responsible for injuries to minors without helmets. That version did not pass. This one did has

".... new language that relieves resorts of liability. Under the law, the burden of enforcement will be on police, not resort personnel. The parents or guardian of youths who fail to wear helmets will be fined $25 for the first violation and $100 for subsequent infractions."

I cannot imagine the police at lifts or on the mountain finding the parents and handing out fines. I think this just passed to satisfy the family.
sb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #110 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
lol there's so much I disagree with that it doesn't even make sense to reply - we obviously have very different view points on our government and on these laws. If this law cost a million dollars to instate, I'd be shocked - now compare salaries of government employees, or money wasted on private jets or dom perignon in air force one or tax write-offs or oil kick backs or a million other things. We as a country are incredibly wasteful with our money, and day to day people generally keep their mouths shut and continue on with their daily lives. Now, because this law was put into place and it is brought to your attention simply because it pertains to the sport you;re interested in, you have a qualm about government spending? How about instead of bitching and moaning about a law meant to protect people who aren't mature enough to make a decision about protecting THEMSELVES, you bitch and moan about government bailouts, free healthcare on the backs of the american people, and the abomination that is our president now.. who is a product of YOUR votes.
I'm not exactly sure why you are on the side of the debate you are on? Fundamentally we are pretty close, if you ask me the whole government should be impeached, and a complete overhaul of the system done. So maybe this ONE law didn't cost millions, if fact I would guess maybe around 100k, I can't see anything getting done by the government for less then that. I do agree that this is a drop in the ocean of corrupt and wasteful things our government does. I'm just pointing out that all those drops make up the ocean. This just happens to be the topic of discussion, and I found a flaw in your reasoning that it doesn't matter.
__________________
JeffreyCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums