Helmet Nazi's and so it begins - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
linvillegorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 7,049
Default

Rights = freedom of choice. Anything that removes that freedom of choice is impacting rights.

I think you greatly underestimate just how highly the American founding fathers and early Americans in general valued freedoms and rights. They were willing to die for them and they were willing to kill for them. Today we all but beg for them to be taken away in the nane of safety because by and large this country now consists of a bunch of pussies.
__________________
"People say that marijuana smoking is going to get in the way of my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fighting career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." -Nick Diaz
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Chef Jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Rights = freedom of choice. Anything that removes that freedom of choice is impacting rights.

I think you greatly underestimate just how highly the American founding fathers and early Americans in general valued freedoms and rights. They were willing to die for them and they were willing to kill for them. Today we all but beg for them to be taken away in the nane of safety because by and large this country now consists of a bunch of pussies.
Plus fucking ONE!!!!!!

I think everyone should wear a helmet...... I do not think it should be mandated that everyone should wear a helmet. It's my mellon and it should be my right to split it!!!!! at the same time - you should have no right to sue if said mellon becomes split without helmet
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HoboMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jer View Post
Plus fucking ONE!!!!!!

I think everyone should wear a helmet...... I do not think it should be mandated that everyone should wear a helmet. It's my mellon and it should be my right to split it!!!!! at the same time - you should have no right to sue if said mellon becomes split without helmet
And that's probably the root of the problem right there.
__________________
PowderHound and TreeNinja
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 10,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
well after reading heaps of shit on this forum i know there is no point in arguing with a fuckwit like yourself who think he is the be all and end all of snowboarding and snowboarding knowledge, apart from the fact you try and belittle other people who dont share the same ignorant views as you, you write on this forum like someone who has little man syndrome and cant be an arrogant prick anywhere else but online. As far as your own choices an liberty etc etc IF you have ever been to Australia you would know that not only are we raised with more freedom and rights than the US but we live a considerably more comfortable and crime/violence/probem free life than someone of comparable age and background in the US. As for Franklin, i believe when he said that (a long time ago) he would have been referencing problems and/or situations in his immediate time and surely it does not pertain to the present issue of keeping people safe when possible. Apart from BA's lame response i still hear no legit argument as to why wearing a helmet or seatbelt is something that infringes on your rights? Anyone who has something productive to say without trying to act like some wanna be alpha male feel free to respond. Cheers
Aww is someone upset because I have a strong opinion and don't give a fuck if it offends people? Don't be pissed I know more about snowboarding than you ever will. If you want to step into that arena of argument and debate bring your man pants and a good understanding of google.

You are not from here so it is not your tax dollars being rolled into paying the police to go enforce this. California tried to do this a year or two ago and the bill didn't pass. Helmets might save lives but when it's our choice as to whether or not we will inherently risk ourselves that is the issue. Would you like it if the government suddenly said hey you know what you've been doing one way your whole life and we've never bothered you for it? Well now we want that to change because one person who had a bad ordeal suddenly feels the need to push their agenda on a whole state or even country. That's what we're dealing with.

Why would I want a police officer on the hill ticketing kids for not wearing a helmet when they could actually be doing something of real value? It's like this countries war on drugs we've lost it yet they keep shoving money at it thinking they'll fix the problem.

Your country is fucking desolate like to the point what 80% of it doesn't house people? Ours on the other hand is just urban sprawl with too many half wits taking up space eating high fructose corn syrup and letting t.v. drain their thought process. You're comparing your country which is a turd to ours which is an apple. Both might be round, ours might turn brown, but yours is still excrement.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Chef Jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMaster View Post
And that's probably the root of the problem right there.
I'm hoping its the sue part that you are agreeing with and not the rest of my logic?
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Chef Jer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 463
Default

Speaking of helmets... I just bought a Smith Variant - hoping to have it when I ride this weekend
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 10,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jer View Post
I'm hoping its the sue part that you are agreeing with and not the rest of my logic?
It's definitely the sue logic he's agreeing with. That's become one of the biggest issues in this country is everyone just thinks they'll make a quick buck by suing people. Oh no my hot coffee was hot, oh no the wet floor was wet, oh no the disease infested hooker gave me herpes. People are becoming too scared to live because they'll get sued. I remember when I was a kid my friend fell in the neighbors yard and twisted his knee, the people that owned the house made my friends parents sign a piece of paper to not sue them. This was like in 87 now it's even more common place.

Hell work in a tune shop and mount skis the liability release forms are fucking huge sign in three spots, initial here, tech signature there, tech initials there, blah blah blah basically its to cover everyones ass so you can't be sued. I remember when the legalities of working in a tune shop changed and people could not only sue the shop but the individual that worked on the skis/snowboard. A few years ago I remember a chick coming in who just bought a full set up at Sports Authority and they sent her to my shop to have us set it up because they didn't have anyone that could do it and they were afraid they'd get sued. Sued over 8 frigging screws. Funny thing was a year after that one of the other shops owned by that company I worked for got sued for that exact reason.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,446
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
Apart from BA's lame response i still hear no legit argument as to why wearing a helmet or seatbelt is something that infringes on your rights?
Most people are referencing "negative rights" which IIRC was part of this country's philosophical foundation under Jefferson, et al. A negative is a right not to be subjected to an action of another person or group. Whether the negative theory of rights is supported in practice, deed, or action by those drafting & enforcing the laws is not really consequential.

People will say, about seatbelts, for example, that without them our insurance rates would be higher or our health care costs would be higher (negative externalities) and therefore to keep one man from imposing these "costs" on others, it is necessary and justifiable to make everyone wear the seatbelt. Well there may not be any evidence to suggest insurance rates would be higher (they didn't go down in the mid 1980s when seatbelt laws gained traction in the US) and as for health care costs, a case could be made that this argument is untenable as question-begging.
david_z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
roremc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Banff, Alberta
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Aww is someone upset because I have a strong opinion and don't give a fuck if it offends people? Don't be pissed I know more about snowboarding than you ever will. If you want to step into that arena of argument and debate bring your man pants and a good understanding of google.

You are not from here so it is not your tax dollars being rolled into paying the police to go enforce this. California tried to do this a year or two ago and the bill didn't pass. Helmets might save lives but when it's our choice as to whether or not we will inherently risk ourselves that is the issue. Would you like it if the government suddenly said hey you know what you've been doing one way your whole life and we've never bothered you for it? Well now we want that to change because one person who had a bad ordeal suddenly feels the need to push their agenda on a whole state or even country. That's what we're dealing with.

Why would I want a police officer on the hill ticketing kids for not wearing a helmet when they could actually be doing something of real value? It's like this countries war on drugs we've lost it yet they keep shoving money at it thinking they'll fix the problem.

Your country is fucking desolate like to the point what 80% of it doesn't house people? Ours on the other hand is just urban sprawl with too many half wits taking up space eating high fructose corn syrup and letting t.v. drain their thought process. You're comparing your country which is a turd to ours which is an apple. Both might be round, ours might turn brown, but yours is still excrement.
Some good trolling right there. I'm still amazed that so many people buy into your shit. Trolling 101.
__________________
So many runs so little time.
roremc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
cjcameron11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 777
Default

Not upset mate, just no reason to be the way you are no matter if you give a fuck or not about what people think, there is such a thing called tact, google it. And as far as snowboarding knowledge, no doubt you know more than me and i couldnt care less my life remains the same. As for our country well maybe you need to google some more mate as 80% of our country not being populated is by choice not by nessecity, and also it may have to do with the fact that we have less than 10% of the US's total population, so why wouldnt we live on the coast in our non over populted cities. Do yourself a favour and make a trip down here before making retarded statements about a country you know nothing about.

Back to the topic, i understand that sometimes you dont want to change things you have done all your life but are you saying that as times change then we shouldnt adapt? As life goes on we make new discoveries and gain knowledge so are we supposed to just live the way we used to? I could give a shit if you crack you head open if you know the dangers but why should we not try and protect our children and youth? As far as how much new legislation and laws cost only a lengthy (20+ years) study will probably show the savings or extra cost of enforcing helmet use vs medical cost related to head injuries. Im not going to get into the tax discussion (even though the US is taxed very low compared to most other western countries) and im not suggesting police need to monitor the new rule, i agree with whoever posted that the lift guys enforce it, if you hvae a ticket and no helmet = no ride. But for anyone to simply say that change is infringing against their rights is wrong, change is going to happen no matter what you want/do and no amount of complaining will change this, its how life works, we grow older, get wiser, and put in place systems to help protect our countries future.
__________________
my names's Petey and i have gigantic balls
cjcameron11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums