My Stubborn Friend... - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
edmontonsara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGILDO View Post
well the hockey thing i still think is a total BS excuse, but whatever. I played lots of varsity sports in high school and never for an instant had a second thought about snowboarding. especially with a more dangerous sport like hockey

anyways, try going to the park by yourself sometimes. if you catch it when its empty and you are by yourself I think its much easier to get your coursge up cause you can try different things without the fear of lookin dumb to your friends.

It is perfectly fine to put hockey first. Snowboarding might be the number one priority in your life, but it doesn't have to be for everyone.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
BoarderChick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

dukefann got it right... hockey isnt an excuse, its basically my life in the winter and i hope to play in college too. missing a season from an injury could easily jeapordize my playing career. i have also been playing hockey for 9 years and only snowboarding for 2. so sorry supergildo if i happen to have other things in my life besides snowboarding to worry about. when hockey ends in a couple of weeks and i go boarding, im gonna be much less conservative with my riding, and take more risks than i do now, since i have less to worry about.

also i think im going boarding with my brother this week who is much less experienced in the park than i am, so ill be able to go at my own rate without pressure and maybe teach his a thing or two. it should be funn
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
SUPERGILDO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_fann View Post
I think i know how she feels when it comes to sports. It's all about your priorites. For me its baseball before snowboarding. I still hit the stuff i KNOW i can hit and avoid any kind of injury, but staying injury free is always a priority in the back of my mind. If my coach or even my parents found out that i had been hurt snowboarding that would affect me playing baseball, they'd go nuts.

Like I said, it may be an excuse to some people, but hockey could be a much higher priority in her life then snowboarding. I know once im done with sports, ill be more then happy to try and hit the harder and bigger things.

confidence does not depends on sporting seasons. confidence is a big role in snowboarding injuries and you show this by saying you hit stuff that you know you can hit. just because youve done something a million times doesnt mean that the 1,000,001st time wont disable you. So I dont really see your "priority" having merit. you put yourself into injury chances the minute you step on a snowboard.

for example, I have been snowboarding for 9 years, I have never had an even semi serious injury until this year and a skier hit me from the back and gave me a concussion...

thats why I dont take other sports as an excuse. I think its your confidence that lacks. thats absolutely fine, dont make excuses for your shortcomings and just have fun. thats what it is all about


Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonsara View Post
It is perfectly fine to put hockey first. Snowboarding might be the number one priority in your life, but it doesn't have to be for everyone.
well if it bothers her that much its obviously important on some level

Last edited by SUPERGILDO; 02-17-2008 at 08:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
duke_fann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I know stepping onto a snowboard puts me in a chance to get hurt, but i know that the riding im doing now is familiar and feel comfortable doing. If i get hurt doing that, i deserve it.

You havnt gotten hurt, congrats, but that doesnt mean im gonna go out and hit a 50 footer because you havnt gotten hurt. by the sound of it you arnt to far off from her two friends who nag her to try things
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
bravogrl28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Not that it will help you have more patience with your injury prone friend, but just remember that scientists have proven that boys' frontal lobes don't fully develop until they get closer to manhood... that means a lot of times they don't think through the consequences of their actions until their mid to late 20's... as a female, you see action A + skill level B + unknown factor C = potential jeopardy to your hockey career he sees: action A = fun And sometimes it's just up to you to decide what is most important to you... definitely don't be pressured into anything you don't want to do, but also don't pass by fun things that you might later regret you never tried.

Hope it works out and I too envy that you have friends to ride with.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
SUPERGILDO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_fann View Post
I know stepping onto a snowboard puts me in a chance to get hurt, but i know that the riding im doing now is familiar and feel comfortable doing. If i get hurt doing that, i deserve it.

You havnt gotten hurt, congrats, but that doesnt mean im gonna go out and hit a 50 footer because you havnt gotten hurt. by the sound of it you arnt to far off from her two friends who nag her to try things
I stand behind the mentality that you do whatever you want. If you want to do it, then do it! if you dont, then fine with me as long as you are having fun, but dont put the blame of your insecurities on your freinds...


the point isnt that I dont get hurt, the point is that in that period of time, the one thing that has gotten me hurt was out of my control. If your priority is hockey, then dont put yourself in a snowboard boot, because its not always about what you do. you sign up for the possibility and using that excuse when you are already there is whack.

JUST HAVE FUN WITH WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU DONT HAVE TO MAKE EXCUSES TO ANYBODY. you put yourself in the position for it...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
BoarderChick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGILDO View Post
I stand behind the mentality that you do whatever you want. If you want to do it, then do it! if you dont, then fine with me as long as you are having fun, but dont put the blame of your insecurities on your freinds...


the point isnt that I dont get hurt, the point is that in that period of time, the one thing that has gotten me hurt was out of my control. If your priority is hockey, then dont put yourself in a snowboard boot, because its not always about what you do. you sign up for the possibility and using that excuse when you are already there is whack.

JUST HAVE FUN WITH WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU DONT HAVE TO MAKE EXCUSES TO ANYBODY. you put yourself in the position for it...
first of all, i never ever blamed my insecurities in my friends. i admitted i had a hard time getting up the guts to do some of the stuff in the park and that i tend to sike myself out. that has nothing to do with hockey. i also said that the reason i dont wanna try stuff that seems out of my ability is because i dont want to put myself at risk any more than i already am from snowboarding.

second of all, i realize that i can get hurt. however, i also love to snowboard. it just so happens that two things i love to do occur in the same season and that sucks for me. but that doesnt mean i have to give both up, it just means i dont want to take any unnesesary risks in my opinion. i go out there and do what i want to do, but make sure i am smart when im doing it.

i realize i may have overreacted a bit when it comes to my friend, but i was only a little frustrated, thats all. i wasnt blaming my insecurities on him or hockey. it was just annoying cuz when i did exactly what your saying i should do (ie go at my own rate and just have fun) i was getting pressured by my other friends to do some of the things i wasnt comfortable doing, and that he was wrecking himself on. i wasnt trying to argue with anyone, i was just blowing off a little steam, so back off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
BoarderChick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravogrl28 View Post
Not that it will help you have more patience with your injury prone friend, but just remember that scientists have proven that boys' frontal lobes don't fully develop until they get closer to manhood... that means a lot of times they don't think through the consequences of their actions until their mid to late 20's... as a female, you see action A + skill level B + unknown factor C = potential jeopardy to your hockey career he sees: action A = fun And sometimes it's just up to you to decide what is most important to you... definitely don't be pressured into anything you don't want to do, but also don't pass by fun things that you might later regret you never tried.

Hope it works out and I too envy that you have friends to ride with.
haha now theres the best reply ive gotten! very very true, ill try to keep that in mind. thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
SUPERGILDO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoarderChick View Post
. it was just annoying cuz when i did exactly what your saying i should do (ie go at my own rate and just have fun) i was getting pressured by my other friends
getting pressured doesnt sound like fun to me...

lastly, have you realized that they have one approach to progression and you have another. they are forcing theirs on you and you are forcing yours on them (in an indirect way)

I say split off at the park...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
SUPERGILDO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravogrl28 View Post
Not that it will help you have more patience with your injury prone friend, but just remember that scientists have proven that boys' frontal lobes don't fully develop until they get closer to manhood... that means a lot of times they don't think through the consequences of their actions until their mid to late 20's... as a female, you see action A + skill level B + unknown factor C = potential jeopardy to your hockey career he sees: action A = fun And sometimes it's just up to you to decide what is most important to you... definitely don't be pressured into anything you don't want to do, but also don't pass by fun things that you might later regret you never tried.
no its means we have testosterone and in my opinion have much more fun snowboarding than girls as a whole. what does this say to you?

you ladies have shopping and we have speed and pain, dont be jealous!!!
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums