Interview with Vail Resorts Tomorrow....some ?s - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Interview with Vail Resorts Tomorrow....some ?s

Hey there!

I am sure that someone in here has worked for Vail Resorts at some point. Would you mind cluing me in on some things?

I am interviewing for a marketing surveyor position at Keystone. From the sound of it, I get to ride and talk to guests all day. I'm good with that.

* I am trying for employee housing. I live in Denver now with my boyfriend, so I will drive down whenever I am not working. Will all the housing be filled by now?

* I figured my pay out. If I am getting paid 9.20/hr, after taxes and housing, I'll have about $700 bucks for my bills. Which will leave very little money for incidentals / food. OUCH! So I am thinking about taking a serving job off-resort to compensate. Is that allowed?

* How long is the application process? Tomorrow is a phone screen.

Thank ya much for any information
ChellePepper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
 
WasatchMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it sounds rad, but...

Everyone I know who has worked at a resort, HATED it, like beyond a normal job.

I am sorry and I realize this adds nothing to your thread and kind of uncool to say the day before your interview. But hey...just thought I should pass it on.

After one interview with a resort out here, I had to move on and say no, I realized I would eventually kill myself watching everyone else shred pow and getting off the lifts stoked to do it again...and again...while I sit, and freeze, and watch, and get paid shit.

Good luck!
WasatchMan is offline  
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You'll have $700 for bills per what... per month? Is the job full time? $9.20 net pay an hour at 40 hrs a week is $736 every two weeks. If they are covering your rent, then $368 a week for food+utilities+gasoline is definitely liveable.

Based on what a lot of folks who live in Summit/Eagle have posted on this board.... the faster you find an independent job that pays decently *not* working for Vail Resorts, then the more content you will be. I don't know your money situation, but parlaying the job into part time work (say, 25 hours a week) should give you a decent mix of riding and putting in time at the office. 40 hrs a week leaves you 2 days out of 5 to ride. You have a boyfriend, so you will undoubtedly be spending a lot of that time with him.

Last edited by Tarzanman; 10-12-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Tarzanman is offline  
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
You'll have $700 for bills per what... per month? Is the job full time? $9.20 net pay an hour at 40 hrs a week is $736 every two weeks. If they are covering your rent, then $368 a week for food+utilities+gasoline is definitely liveable.

Based on what a lot of folks who live in Summit/Eagle have posted on this board.... the faster you find an independent job that pays decently *not* working for Vail Resorts, then the more content you will be. I don't know your money situation, but parlaying the job into part time work (say, 25 hours a week) should give you a decent mix of riding and putting in time at the office. 40 hrs a week leaves you 2 days out of 5 to ride. You have a boyfriend, so you will undoubtedly be spending a lot of that time with him.
They don't cover my rent.
GROSS = $1472
Tax - 309
Rent - 250 (if Sagebrush is back open and available, if not even more)
Left = $972. But that is IF I get can into the cheap, hostel-style dorm. lol

If not, subtract more for Tenderfoot, but at least I'll have my own room, lol.

Oh, and the marketing surveyor position requires riding skills, I think I'll be riding for a good part of the day. : )
ChellePepper is offline  
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 11,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well good news is that's one of the true jobs you actually ride for. Even better news if you're smart you can bullshit those surveys 100% of the time and just fucking ride. Bad news is its Keystone. Living in staff housing kiss your boyfriend good bye it's only a matter of time before you get drunk and decided to play put their penis in my vagina. Oh and watch out for the herpes/crabs epidemic that goes around over there. Working off the mountain they don't give a fuck about you once your shift is over you could drive around drunk and kill someone as long as you show up the next day to work they're cool, true story ask lead lift op on the gondy she killed a dude 2 years ago still has a job.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline  
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good luck with the job interview but here's a few points you need to keep in mind:

The job posting says 40 hours a week, but you most likely want to plan for 35-38 hours a week. For most positions it is out of the question to get overtime pay, so most departments intentionally schedule you a few hours short of 40.

Your job is one of the better ones on the mountain as you get to ride about half the day and interact with people all day long on the lifts. The riding is limited to greens/blues and only groomed terrain.

If I remember right, the job starts pretty early and wraps up just before the lifts close but I'm not 100% sure on that one, but you might be able to get a little riding in after work, especially night riding!

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm a PSS supervisor at Vail and have had a few friends in marketing research and they all loved it, just not the pay haha!!!
slickysticky is offline  
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Well good news is that's one of the true jobs you actually ride for. Even better news if you're smart you can bullshit those surveys 100% of the time and just fucking ride. Bad news is its Keystone. Living in staff housing kiss your boyfriend good bye it's only a matter of time before you get drunk and decided to play put their penis in my vagina. Oh and watch out for the herpes/crabs epidemic that goes around over there. Working off the mountain they don't give a fuck about you once your shift is over you could drive around drunk and kill someone as long as you show up the next day to work they're cool, true story ask lead lift op on the gondy she killed a dude 2 years ago still has a job.
HOLY CRAP! LOL. Lucky for me and my boyfriend, I am no longer interested in anyone else's penis. I am a grown woman and know how to handle my alcohol. Though, he does seem to be mildly concerned about it.
ChellePepper is offline  
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickysticky View Post
Good luck with the job interview but here's a few points you need to keep in mind:

The job posting says 40 hours a week, but you most likely want to plan for 35-38 hours a week. For most positions it is out of the question to get overtime pay, so most departments intentionally schedule you a few hours short of 40.

Your job is one of the better ones on the mountain as you get to ride about half the day and interact with people all day long on the lifts. The riding is limited to greens/blues and only groomed terrain.

If I remember right, the job starts pretty early and wraps up just before the lifts close but I'm not 100% sure on that one, but you might be able to get a little riding in after work, especially night riding!

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm a PSS supervisor at Vail and have had a few friends in marketing research and they all loved it, just not the pay haha!!!

Hey, thanks! I think I am really going to like it.
ChellePepper is offline  
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
 
CMSbored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Laramie, WYO
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
always talk to the people wearing carhartt bibs, they will give the best opinion for the surveys, i assume that is what the position calls for.
CMSbored is offline  
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 11,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's not a matter of if but when and it will happen. Mountains break relationships don't try to kid yourself. Unless you have beer flavored tits and his dick ejaculates money it's inevitable.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome