Another vote for helmets! - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
The average helmet only protects you up to 15 mph and is only good for one hit. If I'm getting one,and I am, I am getting one that is worth it and they're expensive. Because the only time I am going slower than 15 mph is jibbing or skating.
I'm sorry but I'm little skeptical about this. I think all these helmets have to adhere to a set of safety standards.
druj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
took a pretty hard hit to the head last year on the landing of a 25 foot kicker, got a mild concussion whilst wearing my helmet. I'm guessing it would have been worse if I had not had it on.
ClevelandSB is offline  
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
 
ThunderChunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissing Bridge
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The manufactures said themselves that helmets are good for only one hit. Just because someone slaps a sticker on something doesn't mean it's safe. In doing this you have to trust the company, I find it hard to believe that a 200 dollar helmet and 50 dollar one are the same safeness. I would like to know the tests they go through and how to tell which is safer and more durable.

Quote:
Im all for having fun, showing your tits and getting fucked up on a river float but it can be done without being a pig.
ThunderChunky is offline  
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
The manufactures said themselves that helmets are good for only one hit. Just because someone slaps a sticker on something doesn't mean it's safe. In doing this you have to trust the company, I find it hard to believe that a 200 dollar helmet and 50 dollar one are the same safeness. I would like to know the tests they go through and how to tell which is safer and more durable.
well I would love to find that out too.
druj is offline  
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
The manufactures said themselves that helmets are good for only one hit. Just because someone slaps a sticker on something doesn't mean it's safe. In doing this you have to trust the company, I find it hard to believe that a 200 dollar helmet and 50 dollar one are the same safeness. I would like to know the tests they go through and how to tell which is safer and more durable.
this might help: Ski and Snowboard Helmet Safety Standards and Certifications | All Sport Protection
I'm surprised BERN helmet is not certified... The protec helmets are less expensive then other helmets so I wasn't looking into it but after reading this I'll def look into these helmets.
druj is offline  
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by druj View Post
this might help: Ski and Snowboard Helmet Safety Standards and Certifications | All Sport Protection
I'm surprised BERN helmet is not certified... The protec helmets are less expensive then other helmets so I wasn't looking into it but after reading this I'll def look into these helmets.
and these are the testing standards... somebody has to buy it I guess...
ASTM F1446 - 11a Standard Test Methods for Equipment and Procedures Used in Evaluating the Performance Characteristics of Protective Headgear
druj is offline  
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:21 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Tech420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by druj View Post
I'm sorry but I'm little skeptical about this. I think all these helmets have to adhere to a set of safety standards.
There is a minimum safety standard that helmets must meet. The higher priced helmets (at least for motorcycles) have better than just the minimum safety standards. Also helmets, as someone above me said, are meant for one major impact.
Tech420 is offline  
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
 
ThunderChunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissing Bridge
Posts: 1,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ya that helps a little, but I wanna know how hard of a hit it can take, what speed, and where on the helmet it can take it. I don't wanna buy a helmet that it isn't going to do anything for me. And I highly doubt that all of the certified helmets are the same safety level.

Quote:
Im all for having fun, showing your tits and getting fucked up on a river float but it can be done without being a pig.
ThunderChunky is offline  
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:25 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Tech420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
Ya that helps a little, but I wanna know how hard of a hit it can take, what speed, and where on the helmet it can take it. I don't wanna buy a helmet that it isn't going to do anything for me. And I highly doubt that all of the certified helmets are the same safety level.
I have been trying to say that for 2 posts now I can't say for sure about snowboard helmets, but I race motorcycles and know that they vary in safety level (even though they have the same certifications)
Tech420 is offline  
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
There is a minimum safety standard that helmets must meet. The higher priced helmets (at least for motorcycles) have better than just the minimum safety standards. Also helmets, as someone above me said, are meant for one major impact.
this might be true but I think it's crazy... I mean most people fall down more than once a day.. This is probably for impacts that you had while going 50mph an hour and falling from 50ft... And what are the signs of being not safe any more.. Have you ever had a helmet cracking after you fall down.. Obviously you wouldn't wear a helmet that's cracked but I personally haven't seen a cracked helmet yet - thank god...
Also, I'm not questioning your knowledge or anything, and these questions are not against your argument.. Just questions for general forum..
druj is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome