Crazy Story! Summit At Snoqualmie: Snowboard Instructor hits skier - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Auburn,CA
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
It`s not an "employee badge" its just an employee pass. Resorts do not issue their employees two pass; one for on duty and one for off duty. Regardless of his employee status, what he does on his own time does not represent the resort in any way. From a legal standpoint you are wrong.

Working or not working for a resort is relevant as you have obviously not been in the industry and had experience with litigation when it comes to resorts. Even if the guy was fully on duty and this had happened, it would still be an extremely difficult case to win against the resort. Number one, the state of Washington has a very strong skier responsibility law that indemnifies resorts except in cases of gross negligence. Number two, the plaintiff would have prove by a preponderance of evidence that the resort was negligent by allowing this instructor to work there. Without prior documentation of problems, this is difficult to prove.

In this case the resort would be crazy to settle out of court as this would be a very hard sell with any judge. As I said before, this is exactly the reason why we are not allowed to free ride in uniform when off duty. There has been court precedence for this policy and the resort is not held responsible for the actions of anyone; employee or not when they are not acting in an official capacity.

People like this shit scraper need to suck it up and accept the fact that sometimes shit happens and just because the guy happened to be an employee, it does not suddenly give them grounds to sue the resort. Personally, I think 90% of what is wrong with the country is the result of fucking cry babies who want to use every injury; real or imagined as a way to try to make a quick buck. Fucking accept the responsibility that you could be injured while skiing or riding. If you can`t deal with it, stay the fuck home and take up stamp collecting.
People are so sue happy these days, lawyers and our court system has made this happen, there are no longer any accidents, personal responsibility has been thrown out the window, people just need to realize shit happens and deal with it.
kctahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder28 View Post
This guy is over-reacting IMO,...

So unless the resort was crammed packed full of people, there really is no reason I can see that would call for you to be close enough to someone to hit them. It's an unfortunate accident, but it's just that, an accident. The picture of the guy seems to contradict what the blogger says. He looks pretty remoresful to me.
Obviously, I have no idea what happened and can only go on what this blogger writes.

First off, she gets hit from behind from uphill. Obviously it's the kid's fault. I don't really care if it was crowded or empty. Yes, shit happens, but it's still the kid's fault.

After that, it gets a little murky. Blogger dude is pissed that he has to put his skis in an X above the collision site. Why? Even if the collision involved an on-duty ski patroller, there are 2 people involved in a collision here and a 3rd person that wasn't. The 3rd person puts the warning sign. Blogger has no idea if the kid is hurt as well and doesn't mention checking either of them out.

Blogger dude just witnessed a collision and expects one of the two people involved to do all the post-accident safety protocol just because they're staff? And he stands there taking pictures?

Man up, buttercup!

To me, that picture of the kid is a picture of a kid who is pretty freaked out. Quite the leap to interpret that as being worried about his job.

Last edited by Bones; 01-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
WasatchMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Hero View Post
Seems like you completely missed the point of his post. All he was suggesting was that it wasn't the resorts responsibility, do you agree with that or not. In you little story there would you consider Target to be responsible to be responsible for someone who isn't on the clock(even though it would be more accurate if you said he was just shopping)?
Haha, I don't really remember posting that story.

mild intoxication
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Springskater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28
Default

This blogger sounds like a huge whiney doucher. I mean, why is he taking freaking pictures while "Sarah" is laying on the ground with these presumed "season ending" injuries? It's his fault that he called an ambulance for injuries that turned out to be not that bad. Not the resorts, not the riders. Was it the other guys fault that he hit her? It sounds like it but that's where it ends. He needs to just accept that accidents happen on the mountain. Someone is usually more at fault than the other but everyone knows to suck it up & move on. Unless someone dies or is critically injured just STFU, grow a pair & move on with life. Stuff happens.
Springskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Random Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: an igloo in Canada
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchMan View Post
Haha, I don't really remember posting that story.

mild intoxication
God damn hippies

Just gonna parrot what everyone else is saying though, the blogger is a complete bitch. Shit happens, deal with it. Hopefully this incident keeps him and Sarah off the slopes for a good while, less pylons in the way for everyone else.
__________________
Shredding the ice coast, one hill at a time....
Random Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 9,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post

Having an employee pass is totally irrelevant and means nothing in the eyes of the law. Employees all have employee passes not standard season passes.

Where things get gray is in the public relations realm. A resort may choose to let go of an employee as result of that employee's behavior on property even if off duty. That is the resorts right and zi think most of us who work at resorts understand that we still somewhat represent the resort even off duty. Most of us take that into consideration in how we behave. Legally though, the resort has zero liability and this is and should be treated like any colision between guests.
Each resort is different. Vail resorts if you're an employee but off duty and get in a collision that is reported your pass is red flagged for a week while it's "investigated". From there it goes through this whole bullshit witch hunt to see if you were high, drunk, or just retarded and you can lose your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Snoqualmie...weren't they hit a couple of years ago by a park lawsuit?

Sounds like the blogie is a caped crusader...I wonder if he is submitting an affidavit as a witness of the event and is it to the injured or to Snoqualmie. It sounds like he is shooting himself in the foot as being a creditable witness.
Big law suit from what I remember kind of fucked them on some ends. But yeah dudes credibility is out the window in my opinion. Pictures while your significant other is crying on the ground and dude is freaking out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post

People like this shit scraper need to suck it up and accept the fact that sometimes shit happens and just because the guy happened to be an employee, it does not suddenly give them grounds to sue the resort. Personally, I think 90% of what is wrong with the country is the result of fucking cry babies who want to use every injury; real or imagined as a way to try to make a quick buck. Fucking accept the responsibility that you could be injured while skiing or riding. If you can`t deal with it, stay the fuck home and take up stamp collecting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
Just read the comments. This guys a god damn pussy. He said nothing was broken....but she is going through physical therapy. Either your girlfriend is a baby back bitch or you're exaggerating. Also, kinda funny how he doesn't include anything about "sarah" pursuing this or even having anything to say about it.
The guys a douche for sure and a giant pussy. He's the reason our pass prices keep going up because he's the kind of idiot that will sue people. Shit happens. I dislocated my elbow on a jump on X mas the lip was a little soft and gave out on me on my heel edge, OH NOEZ LETS SUE AND MAKZ MONIEZ!!! Or I could just accept the fact it was an accident and snow changes.

This has been a bad year for people being hit from behind. Opening weekend at Breck my boy got hit from behind and broke his neck. I got hit at Keystone by some rampaging she devil park rat that couldn't turn. I was fine she got crushed by me landing on her it happens.

At Breck fucking idiot Johnny speed racer on his Skate Banana in his Air Force fatigues clipped me from behind cause he was in the gaper tuck. I screamed at him to pay attention he wanted to fight about it with his Air Force friends, I said fuck it and started swinging. They got the point real quick you don't hit someone from behind then blame them for it. But once again shit happens.

Long and short person ahead of you has the right of way within reason. Space not speed all that bullshit it's whatever.

And on that dumb ass saying her season is over. WTF I dislocated my elbow 8 hours of it out of the socket, I'm officially cleared to ride in 6 weeks. She didn't have anything serious it sounds like, so what the hell are they bitching about. Season ender? Fucking sack up tell the dumb twat waffle to pull her panties out of her cunt and man up it's not like she had her arm cut off, her spleen explode, or a ski stuck up her asshole.

As for being an instructor that means nothing right now. What does matter is how the resort is dealing with this because out here if you have a collision ski patrol gives you and the other person you hits contact info to settle it yourselves. Resort is just the facilitator the individuals are liable.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post

If people followed it, the code would protect you. .
If you truly believe this, then you are a fucking idiot, and clearly don't spend that much time on the snow.

You keep believing words on the back of your day ticket will keep you safe, and I will keep taking my safety into my own hands and being smart about the way I ride. Good luck.
Matt166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Agreed, the boarder is responsible not the resort.



If people followed it, the code would protect you. Most people have no clue it even exist much less what it is comprised of. Being an instructor this guy has no excuse. He should have known better.



While the injury details do seem a bit murky, the events leading to the accident seem simple. Slow moving downhill person turns to a stop and is struck by a fast moving person from above. If it's the spot I'm thinking of the boarder had to have had the skier in sight form a good distance above. No "blind side" issues and no possible excuse for hitting her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I know Grizz and no he is not a fucking idiot and spends well over 100 days a year on snow....

His point was that if everyone actually rode defensively per their responsibility, 99% of these incidents could be avoided. We all ride defensively (those of us with brains) and assume the other guy is a fucking idiot just like we do on the highway. You have to assume the other guy is out to kill you and expect him to run the light. I cannot count how many times every single day that I ride when I make an evasive maneuver to avoid someone who looks like they are not paying attention or have zero control. I do the same when driving; when I see some fucking moron doing 50 coming up to a red light, even though I have the green, I start getting on the brakes because I am assuming he is going to run the red. I am also a pilot and even though I have been cleared onto a runway for takeoff, I still have a responsibility to look for traffic and ultimately collision avoidance is my responsibility not just the tower`s.
Fair enough,

My point is that, even if everyone followed the rules, the nature of the conditions on a mountain mean that things can change in a flash. No matter how careful you are as a rider, you hit something bulletproof, you aint stopping. Unless you have magnatraction of course which turns bulletproof ice into powder, or so i've heard.
Matt166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt166 View Post
Fair enough,

My point is that, even if everyone followed the rules, the nature of the conditions on a mountain mean that things can change in a flash. No matter how careful you are as a rider, you hit something bulletproof, you aint stopping. Unless you have magnatraction of course which turns bulletproof ice into powder, or so i've heard.

That's why you leave space when things are marginal. And if you can't stop in time on bulletproof, then you need to stay off the bulletproof or slow down.

My resort has bulletproof just over the crest of every pitch. And there will always be people down on it because they get surprised. Ergo, you don't bomb, catch air off pitches and blame conditions when you you hit someone.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
That's why you leave space when things are marginal. And if you can't stop in time on bulletproof, then you need to stay off the bulletproof or slow down.

My resort has bulletproof just over the crest of every pitch. And there will always be people down on it because they get surprised. Ergo, you don't bomb, catch air off pitches and blame conditions when you you hit someone.
Your preaching to the choir here chief. I've never hit anyone. I ride well within my limits, I have to, I work for a mountain, if I hit somebody its game over.

But I know your not telling me you know where every patch of ice is on every run at any given point, and that you never go fast. Besides, it doesn't really mean shit how you ride, its about how other people ride, and they will never be as careful.
Matt166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums