Finally SoCal is getting some snow - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
Default

there are hills..great mountain biking and motorcycling trails, lots of lakes for water activities, housing is much cheaper and costs of living is much better than cali, if that makes up for anything then with all the money you save from living here, you can afford nice trips to the mtns for snow activities
v6pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: L.A.
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6pwr View Post
thanks for the advice. oh yeah, my friend and i are flying in on sunrise and renting a car to drive to bear first thing. will probably spend first part of the day (if not the whole day as my friend suggests me to)with some lessons to get me warmed up...i think i'll get the hang of it in no time. it will be fun no matter what..we don't have mountains and snow in houston!

Keep in mind that there are two mountains in big bear. Bear mountain and snow summit. I think snow summit is better to learn at since bear mountain is more of a park setup.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
Default

ah, good to know. however, overall which mtn has better atmosphere (not too many careless/dumb riders) and also have some fun intermediate (not too boring with flat, slow) runs? i don't mind some park activities, as i'm sure i may want to try some stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Keep in mind that there are two mountains in big bear. Bear mountain and snow summit. I think snow summit is better to learn at since bear mountain is more of a park setup.
v6pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6pwr View Post
ah, good to know. however, overall which mtn has better atmosphere (not too many careless/dumb riders) and also have some fun intermediate (not too boring with flat, slow) runs? i don't mind some park activities, as i'm sure i may want to try some stuff
Snow Summit has terrain for all skill levels as some decent park runs. Bear Mountain is mostly, if not all, park. You'll find it easier to get started at Summit, and you can always check out Bear. 1 ticket gets you on both mountains with shuttles running between them every 15min or so
handscreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ttam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Big Bear
Posts: 399
Default

If your a beginner I would not go to bear. There setup is crazy right now and has almost nothing that caters to a newbie. Summit or Mountain High is nice.
Ttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dim Mak 1470's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6pwr View Post
there are hills..great mountain biking and motorcycling trails, lots of lakes for water activities, housing is much cheaper and costs of living is much better than cali, if that makes up for anything then with all the money you save from living here, you can afford nice trips to the mtns for snow activities
Haha sounds great. I really want to get into mountain biking heavily. Oh, man...you know I was looking at apartments in AZ; dirty cheap compared to here haha. I can't afford to move out here. I do remember the last time I visited El Paso, Texas, I went outside to skateboard and within a minute, I was drenched in sweat! That was a hot summer
Dim Mak 1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
Default

thanks everyone for all the great insight Will definitely hit up summit first, based on consensus here, and wander over to bear and high whenever we get a chance. can't wait i'm so excited..my first riding opportunity! if all else fails and the weather sucks, at least the drive in to cities is not far away.

el paso, dim mak? geez..that desert of a place will scorch an egg on a car's hood in the summer no doubt. i'd like to stay on the eastern side of texas...houston where i'm at is fine
v6pwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dim Mak 1470's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6pwr View Post

el paso, dim mak? geez..that desert of a place will scorch an egg on a car's hood in the summer no doubt. i'd like to stay on the eastern side of texas...houston where i'm at is fine
I'm a lot more sun sensitive now, I don't think I could do that again hahah. I can't remember if we ever went east of El Paso or not. They're the only realitives we have in Texas, as far as I know. Houston n' Austin seem cool!
Dim Mak 1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6pwr View Post
thanks everyone for all the great insight Will definitely hit up summit first, based on consensus here, and wander over to bear and high whenever we get a chance. can't wait i'm so excited..my first riding opportunity! if all else fails and the weather sucks, at least the drive in to cities is not far away.


I learned to ride at Summit and it was great. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Dim Mak, where you at in So Cal? we got tons of good mtb here!!
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dim Mak 1470's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixie View Post
I learned to ride at Summit and it was great. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Dim Mak, where you at in So Cal? we got tons of good mtb here!!
San Bernadino county! I just know of cool single tracks in Chino Hills state park.
Dim Mak 1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums