Your a Flow binding expert when.... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
slyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milwaukee Suburbs
Posts: 2,630
Default Your a Flow binding expert when....

I got out today with both my kids. Dr released oldest to ride in his new cast, so we took one of our planned trips to a bigger hill 1 1/2 hours away. Who knows how long the snow will last so we decided to hit it up.

I was coming off the lift and kicking in, when I saw a fellow Flow binding rider, sitting in the snow putting on his bindings. I asked, kindly & jokingly, why you sitting to put on flows??? He replied that is the only way he can get his foot in. I'm like "that's not right". He told me this was his 2nd time out and was having trouble getting into the bindings and something else about an instructor telling him to sit to put them on

I asked if he would mind if I helped him as I have set-up several pairs many times. He said "please... that would be great" He didn't know how the ratchets worked and he had the I-strap way to tight. I got him all fixed up right there on the hill and he was able to kick in and go.

Thanking me, and me saying have a safe day riding, we rode our separate ways. Felt good to help a fellow rider enjoy his equipment and time on the hill. Not that it matters, but he was a rider about my age and new to the sport.
__________________
Thanks
-Slyder
slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,537
Blog Entries: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Flows are just horrible for first timers. Hold on! put the torches and pitchforks down; I am not ragging on flows here, just talking about one application where they are not ideal....
Y'know, I love my NXT-AT's but I'd be the last person to try to claim they're perfect. There are times and places when they aren't the best binding to have. Let's face it, if one binding (or board or boot) design was that much better, it would dominate the market until everyone started copying it.
__________________

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
swilber08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyder View Post
I got out today with both my kids. Dr released oldest to ride in his new cast, so we took one of our planned trips to a bigger hill 1 1/2 hours away. Who knows how long the snow will last so we decided to hit it up.

I was coming off the lift and kicking in, when I saw a fellow Flow binding rider, sitting in the snow putting on his bindings. I asked, kindly & jokingly, why you sitting to put on flows??? He replied that is the only way he can get his foot in. I'm like "that's not right". He told me this was his 2nd time out and was having trouble getting into the bindings and something else about an instructor telling him to sit to put them on

I asked if he would mind if I helped him as I have set-up several pairs many times. He said "please... that would be great" He didn't know how the ratchets worked and he had the I-strap way to tight. I got him all fixed up right there on the hill and he was able to kick in and go.

Thanking me, and me saying have a safe day riding, we rode our separate ways. Felt good to help a fellow rider enjoy his equipment and time on the hill. Not that it matters, but he was a rider about my age and new to the sport.
I've worn flows since I learned how to ride 3 years ago and I take the 2-3 seconds it takes to stop on my knees and put my back foot in....I used to do the put your foot in while you're still moving thing but I found that my bindings aren't tight enough for my liking when I have them loose enough to do this

...hopefully N.A.S.T.Y. next year solves that though
__________________
2010 Flow Quantum Scotty Lago 155w
2010 Flow M9-SE Bindings


swilber08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
swilber08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Every instructor I work with feels the same way. Until a rider has learned balance to be able to strap in standing up, flows are real pain in the ass. Nothing worse than trying to "click in" while seated..... I just dread it when I see a first timer with the board "a friend loaned them" with flows on it.
just tell them to drop on their knees instead of sitting on their butts...makes it infinitely easier
__________________
2010 Flow Quantum Scotty Lago 155w
2010 Flow M9-SE Bindings


swilber08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
It ain`t easy being steezy
 
honeycomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Y'know, I love my NXT-AT's but I'd be the last person to try to claim they're perfect. There are times and places when they aren't the best binding to have. Let's face it, if one binding (or board or boot) design was that much better, it would dominate the market until everyone started copying it.
I love mine too, they're the most comfortable and the best if I'm riding all day. I keep mine snug, gotta kick to boot into them a bit, but my ride ex's hold my boot a little more solid and feel better on a stiffer board. I can ride one footed and get into either binding standing up, the easy entry part of flow makes no difference to me, I just love how comfortable they are and they feel perfect on a softer park board.
honeycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
jdang307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,802
Default

Never rode flows yet but I would just go to the nearest bench, no?
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
t21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mt.
Posts: 488
Default

i love my flow 5 and i know its not the high end one but,after having mine set(ladders marked with paint stick)strapping in and out and so much easy and feels so comfortable riding all day.my union force has been sitting down the basement since i switched the funny thing i do intentionally is when i get off the chairlift and i skate by some boarders(newbies,or middle age people)while they strap down their binding,i just put my back foot in then lock it then go BUT.. i do a quick turn to look at them and they are pointing at my bindings and saying" we should get those ones" i know its cheezy but its funny.
t21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
swilber08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Never rode flows yet but I would just go to the nearest bench, no?
sitting on a bench actually makes it harder
__________________
2010 Flow Quantum Scotty Lago 155w
2010 Flow M9-SE Bindings


swilber08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,537
Blog Entries: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t21 View Post
i love my flow 5 and i know its not the high end one but,after having mine set(ladders marked with paint stick)strapping in and out and so much easy and feels so comfortable riding all day.my union force has been sitting down the basement since i switched the funny thing i do intentionally is when i get off the chairlift and i skate by some boarders(newbies,or middle age people)while they strap down their binding,i just put my back foot in then lock it then go BUT.. i do a quick turn to look at them and they are pointing at my bindings and saying" we should get those ones" i know its cheezy but its funny.
When conditions are right, I can kick in and close without stopping at all. On a couple of occasions as I've glided past the sitters I've heard them say something, couldn't quite make it out. Casserole? Passle? Brass Pole?
__________________

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
slyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Milwaukee Suburbs
Posts: 2,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t21 View Post
the funny thing i do intentionally is when i get off the chairlift and i skate by some boarders(newbies,or middle age people)while they strap down their binding,i just put my back foot in then lock it then go BUT.. i do a quick turn to look at them and they are pointing at my bindings and saying" we should get those ones" i know its cheezy but its funny.
I do this too
__________________
Thanks
-Slyder
slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums