Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Snowboarding General Chat (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/)
-   -   Passed my level 1! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/47677-passed-my-level-1-a.html)

aiidoneus 03-13-2012 07:06 AM

Passed my level 1!
 
33 Attachment(s)
So it is only my second year riding, but I progressed very quickly my first season. Probably because of the skateboarding and longboarding. So this season I really wanted to dial in my riding and like to teach. Finished the 3 day CASI level 1 course yesterday and passed. My riding was rated above standard ... Yay! My teaching was at standard, but I nailed the demo and feedback portion. Just need to improve on my explanations :)

Going to do the level 2 prep course soon, depending how they think my riding is I may do the full course. Not sure I will pass the teaching portion though :(

aiidoneus 03-13-2012 11:08 AM

33 Attachment(s)
Indeed, whether you want to teach or not. It is a great way to improve your riding.

IdahoFreshies 03-13-2012 12:02 PM

so if he passed level one on his second year, after 6 solid years of riding (as you know about 90% free ride) do you think i could pass 3? i can do everything on the list and then some except for riding switch on black terrain and 360s. The "applied movements" section seems a tad complicated but i bet if i went through one training course in it i would understand it.

boarderaholic 03-13-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoFreshies (Post 495195)
so if he passed level one on his second year, after 6 solid years of riding (as you know about 90% free ride) do you think i could pass 3? i can do everything on the list and then some except for riding switch on black terrain and 360s. The "applied movements" section seems a tad complicated but i bet if i went through one training course in it i would understand it.

CASI isn't just about "completing things on the list" if you will. They also look at the rider and see if they can do things competently. If you're ever in doubt, see if you can find an evaluator and go for an afternoon ride with them. I had thought I was ready for my level 2 until I went riding with them, and oh boy was I ever in for a surprise.

And congrats OP, where did you get your cert?

IdahoFreshies 03-13-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boarderaholic (Post 495201)
CASI isn't just about "completing things on the list" if you will. They also look at the rider and see if they can do things competently. If you're ever in doubt, see if you can find an evaluator and go for an afternoon ride with them. I had thought I was ready for my level 2 until I went riding with them, and oh boy was I ever in for a surprise.

And congrats OP, where did you get your cert?

oh i looked at the aasi list. but either way im sure its not just completing the list. rider attitude and general skill are probably the biggest factor, but it is still just a place to start to see if i would have the skill set needed.

skip11 03-13-2012 06:12 PM

Nice! I'm taking my CASI level 1 on March 30th-April 1st.

IdahoFreshies 03-13-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowolf (Post 495331)
I cant speak for CASI, but for AASI, it is not really about tasks. What it is about is the rider`s fundamental body movements and the consistency of those movements. In an AASI exam, you can actually eat shit doing a task and not fail so long as the specific body movements that the examiners are looking for are present. I would`nt exactly want to eat shit on every task and expect to pass though. But, the point is it is really more about very specific movements.

A really good rider that can out ride an examiner, can easily "fail" an exam if they are not using the specific movements AASI is looking for. This is why there is some real contention in snowboarding with AASI. Many really good riders feel they are too narrow in their vision of what "correct" movements are. The issue to keep in mind is these movements they are focusing on is for the teaching environment. I can pretty much bet, these same examiners ride for fun with a lot of their own personal flair and style and the AASI manual is left on their desk.

i liked that last bit. thats a good point. Im going to take a wild shot and say that my own riding style is not right along with the guide lines of the instructor's book. i guess its about knowing how to change to go from perfect form to your own spin on the form. i think it would be fun to take the class and the course and see where i fall. after teaching a few people i think i have the basics of explaining and teaching the movements.

aiidoneus 03-14-2012 07:41 AM

33 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoFreshies (Post 495430)
i liked that last bit. thats a good point. Im going to take a wild shot and say that my own riding style is not right along with the guide lines of the instructor's book. i guess its about knowing how to change to go from perfect form to your own spin on the form. i think it would be fun to take the class and the course and see where i fall. after teaching a few people i think i have the basics of explaining and teaching the movements.

For CASI it is very similar. At the level one stage they really want to see good intermediate riding. I think as you progress through the levels they are more strict about the movements and body position, which is where snowolf's point comes in. At the advanced level there is a lot more variation.

One big thing for CASI though is that you need to show you can ride at the level you are testing, not above or below. For example I would say I am an intermediate carver. For level 1 they will work on your carving if you can during rider improvement sessions, but if they ask you demonstrate intermediate sliding turns, you must only do sliding turns. One guy in our course was great at carving but had trouble dialing back. He was either on or off.

For the teaching portion, they are extremely strict. You have to exaggerate the movements so it is easy for a beginner to see and understand. You also must break it down into the small parts. When doing pendulum, you can't rotate your upper body. You are only showing pressure in the lead foot. Only once you do power pendulum can you add core rotation.


Regardless of the strictness, I am a much better rider now :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2