How to avoid smashing your face into a rail? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
Default How to avoid smashing your face into a rail?

Hi there,
I'm reasonably new to snowboarding. Recently I started doing 50/50's on boxes and T-rails, which is going really well, but yesterday I almost broke my nose because I smashed my face onto a box. Just as I jumped on the box, some skier decided to fall right at the end of the box (he came in with high speed from behind, I was in front of him at the moment I jumped on the box so I couldn't see him coming) and not get out of the way. Ofcourse I didn't want to land right on top of him, so I decided to turn to the side of the box and jump off, but my board slipped away under my feet and I ended up smashing my face into the box. Fortunately I was wearing a helmet, if not I might have a had a severe concussion right now.
This accident wasn't really my fault, if the skier didn't block my path I would have been able to finish that box with my eyes closed (not literally ofcourse), but I know that if I'm gonna do more boxes and eventually rails, I will inevitably fall in a similar way, possibly with a less fortunate result. Is there anything I should know about falling safely on boxes/rails? Are there any measures you can take to not smash your face into a box?

Thank you for your time, and I apologise for my bad English ^^
Zypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,250
Default

in that situation you should take the skier out everytime.

in non skier-induced situations just land the trick.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
IndraRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 145
Default

A tip for jibs in general: Avoid edges at all costs!
Really if your on doing a 50/50 you can either try to jump of the side and hope for the best or ride it out and hope you don't kill the wasteman who cut you up.
Or learn to 5-0 shuffle, this involves shuffling into a boardslide when doing a boardslide you can easily just slip of the side of the feature at will.
Hope this helps.
Indra
__________________
80% of impossible is possible.
IndraRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,563
Blog Entries: 214
Default

What Shredlife sez! There isn't a jury in the world that would convict you.

Seriously, if some doofus (skier or otherwise) comes from behind you and throws himself under your wheels, you shouldn't feel obligated to kill yourself to avoid hurting him. To avoid hurting yourself while running over him..... ok. But one of the most painful lessons you can learn is the fact that you cannot change direction on a box using your edges. You have a little more control on a rail because you're usually not flat on top of the rail so you can push off.

As to the general intent of the question, I'm with you. My biggest fear when trying features is that I'm going to either faceplant or tailbone-plant. I saw a guy last year slide out on a boardslide on a rail and basically sit down on the rail at speed. He had to be taken down the mountain in an ambulance. Boxes aren't as bad. I've done some impressive fails on boxes and lived to tell about it.

Maybe look into Ruroc helmets.
__________________

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
IndraRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 145
Default

I have had them too! My worst was last year I whistler trying a 720 on box in the TG BAD idea!
I just got on and started spinning, no idea where I was or how many I did when I decided I'm going down so I tried to stay up ended up sliding off my top edge and knocking my knees on the side of the box!
Hurt like fuck.
__________________
80% of impossible is possible.
IndraRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndraRipper View Post
I have had them too! My worst was last year I whistler trying a 720 on box in the TG BAD idea!
I just got on and started spinning, no idea where I was or how many I did when I decided I'm going down so I tried to stay up ended up sliding off my top edge and knocking my knees on the side of the box!
Hurt like fuck.
I was trying to 50/50 a flatdown box... The flat part went well but when I got to the downhill section of box for some reason (we'll blame the wind ) My board shifted into a board slide and I freaked out and tryed to correct for it and my board slipped out from under me so I ended up coming down 2-3 feet on my shins >.< Hurt pretty bad, I rushed myself to the side of the run so I didn't get ran over, and just sat there for 10-15 minutes. I got home that night and there was blood stains on the fleece liner in my pants and a nasty scab. Now I have big scar under my right knee I'm a little scared to do rails and boxes now so I've just been doing jumps, but hopefully next year I'll get over it and try again
budderbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,763
Default

Jibbing skiers is always bonus points.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by budderbear View Post
I was trying to 50/50 a flatdown box... The flat part went well but when I got to the downhill section of box for some reason (we'll blame the wind ) My board shifted into a board slide and I freaked out and tryed to correct for it and my board slipped out from under me so I ended up coming down 2-3 feet on my shins >.< Hurt pretty bad, I rushed myself to the side of the run so I didn't get ran over, and just sat there for 10-15 minutes. I got home that night and there was blood stains on the fleece liner in my pants and a nasty scab. Now I have big scar under my right knee I'm a little scared to do rails and boxes now so I've just been doing jumps, but hopefully next year I'll get over it and try again
Wait till you really get hurt and pull,tear, or break something. That will really test your commitment.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmccright View Post
Wait till you really get hurt and pull,tear, or break something. That will really test your commitment.
thats what scares me lol, I like riding and enjoying my whole season when it comes around, I'm just not sure I'm ready to start breaking things and ending my seasons early just to learn a few tricks... not like I'm going to become pro anyways lawl. If our bodies healed quicker and I had free medical I would be tearing up the park.
budderbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vail, CO
Posts: 3,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher View Post
Hi there,
I'm reasonably new to snowboarding. Recently I started doing 50/50's on boxes and T-rails, which is going really well, but yesterday I almost broke my nose because I smashed my face onto a box. Just as I jumped on the box, some skier decided to fall right at the end of the box (he came in with high speed from behind, I was in front of him at the moment I jumped on the box so I couldn't see him coming) and not get out of the way. Ofcourse I didn't want to land right on top of him, so I decided to turn to the side of the box and jump off, but my board slipped away under my feet and I ended up smashing my face into the box. Fortunately I was wearing a helmet, if not I might have a had a severe concussion right now.
This accident wasn't really my fault, if the skier didn't block my path I would have been able to finish that box with my eyes closed (not literally ofcourse), but I know that if I'm gonna do more boxes and eventually rails, I will inevitably fall in a similar way, possibly with a less fortunate result. Is there anything I should know about falling safely on boxes/rails? Are there any measures you can take to not smash your face into a box?

Thank you for your time, and I apologise for my bad English ^^

If your going down and anyone other than a kid is responsible, drop an elbow on their ass......
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums