Return to softboots? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Return to softboots?

I am moving to Colorado next month, and figure it might be time to switch back to softboots (I hardboot, but my current gear is just good for groomed runs, to get a hardboot setup to work all mountain would be kind of troublesome).

Is there, anything out there that can support someone 225lbs, with a 25.6cm foot (~ 7.5-8 US), but with a 11cm width? (my 10.5 US shoe 4E doesn't contain my foot width)... with a board with an appropriate waist (in other words, a narrow waisted board, so my foot doesn't end up inbounds), but still has the length for my riding style? (160+) and supports my weight?

my 160 neversummer heritage 2009 with a 25.4cm waist and a 7.85m sidecut, is too wide for me. (the last model before they went rocker)

or am I effed and limited to hardboots? :P :P
I know the season in Colorado starts wayyy earler than in NY, and I'm pretty stoked!

The board needs to be stiff enough to handle high speed, laid over until my butt is sliding on heel sides, or complete eurocarves both wings, while being versatile enough for powder, trees, etc...
My naked feet must be right over the edges with no inbound for maximum leverage, and I prefer forward stance angles, I would say 30/15 or 21/6 or so, 21/12... whatever.

I have palmer riser plates too currently.

Last edited by NoirX252; 09-14-2012 at 07:02 PM.
NoirX252 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 PM
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i can't understand why for any reason you would be limited to hard boots in any circumstance, ever, except maybe GS racing.

if you (for whatever reason) think that your "naked feet must be right over the edges with no inbound" then you better get to shops and start standing ontop of boards with no shoes on....
ShredLife is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I said I might be limited to hardboots cause you can have them stretched among all sorts of things for a weirdly shaped foot. (length of a size 7.5-8 foot yet wider than 4e in a 10.5 shoe..... and extremely flat feet).

Having inbound feet results in a huge loss of leverage, and yes I will be standing on boards in shops with a naked foot.... err... socks on... if I decide to go back to softboots for my all mountain needs.

Not too knowledgeable about boards, most if not all softboot boards that seem to be the right width for me are always ~152cm, and suggested for riders below.. 180? lbs...
NoirX252 is offline  
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:16 AM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,544
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
32's fit me well I have flat wide feet. You could get them punched around by a bootfitter to accommodate certain areas.

I don't really see how a normal width board is "too wide" for you. Wide boards are too wide because they are usually a fatter version of the original - and people only ride them because their feet are too big. Since you are obviously big enough to ride a 160, you must have the strength to turn it... Foot size is only relevant dealing with toe overhang, if you weigh 225 your Heritage is not too wide for you, get used to riding a proper board instead of a monoski. I'm trying to wrap my head around your issue, its difficult for my pea size drug addled mind.

Get stronger? Lose 80lbs? Hey I'm working on shrinking my own beergut right now, it aint easy just sayin, aint judgin...

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is online now  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:23 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
32's fit me well I have flat wide feet. You could get them punched around by a bootfitter to accommodate certain areas.

I don't really see how a normal width board is "too wide" for you. Wide boards are too wide because they are usually a fatter version of the original - and people only ride them because their feet are too big. Since you are obviously big enough to ride a 160, you must have the strength to turn it... Foot size is only relevant dealing with toe overhang, if you weigh 225 your Heritage is not too wide for you, get used to riding a proper board instead of a monoski. I'm trying to wrap my head around your issue, its difficult for my pea size drug addled mind.

Get stronger? Lose 80lbs? Hey I'm working on shrinking my own beergut right now, it aint easy just sayin, aint judgin...
Erm no, the foot size-board width relationship is not just relevant for dealing with overhangs. Rather, a board that is too wide for a certain foot/shoe size will make it quote hard to get adequate edge pressure/control - otherwise we could all just ride wider boards
In fact, ideally there should be some toe/heel overhang of the boot - see wiredsport's excellent discussion of appropriate board width.
hktrdr is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my god, someone that knows what he is talking about!

PS: I'm at 180lbs of lean body mass, at 200 I'd be 10% bodyfat, so yes, I would ideally like to lose 25 lbs of fat, thanks :P (and I'd still be over the weight limit for a lot of boards with an appropriate waist width size for my feet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Erm no, the foot size-board width relationship is not just relevant for dealing with overhangs. Rather, a board that is too wide for a certain foot/shoe size will make it quote hard to get adequate edge pressure/control - otherwise we could all just ride wider boards
In fact, ideally there should be some toe/heel overhang of the boot - see wiredsport's excellent discussion of appropriate board width.
NoirX252 is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,544
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Sorry I am aware of what you are saying, both guys, just have a hard time understanding your dilemma. Obviously you dont want to go try to ride a wide board with small feet, I just can't imagine a normal width board being TOO WIDE for someone who has that much body mass. If you are determined to ride a 160 - I have no problems on a 154 at 180lbs and you could ride ANY normal width 154 with size 7.5 or 8s.

I'm not trying to be an asshole I'm just saying somethings gotta give or go find someone to make you a special board.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 09-15-2012 at 03:39 AM.
snowklinger is online now  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dammit I was afraid of that (needing a custom)...

time to win the lotto. :P
NoirX252 is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:44 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
Sorry I am aware of what you are saying, both guys, just have a hard time understanding your dilemma. Obviously you dont want to go try to ride a wide board with small feet, I just can't imagine a normal width board being TOO WIDE for someone who has that much body mass. If you are determined to ride a 160 - I have no problems on a 154 at 180lbs and you could ride ANY normal width 154 with size 7.5 or 8s.

I'm not trying to be an asshole I'm just saying somethings gotta give or go find someone to make you a special board.
Fair enough, I just disagreed with your logic/reasoning that a board cannot be too wide - however, I pretty much agree with your conclusion that the OP should be able to ride a regular width board even with his weight and shoe size.

In fact, the GNU Billy Goat might suit the OP - stiff, fast, very good edge hold, mellow sidecut, good float in powder and quite narrow (only 25/25.3/25.5 for 159/162/165).

But only the OP knows why he is using riser plates and those extreme stance angles...
hktrdr is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 03:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Ballistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just demo some boards this winter. Whenever i hear "hardboot" or "euroCarve" i immediately picture leather, studs, whips, chains, and other instruments

Vancouver, BC
Ballistic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome