Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Snowboarding General Chat (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/)
-   -   Critique my newb setup?... (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/50212-critique-my-newb-setup.html)

OldDog 10-12-2012 12:19 PM

Critique my newb setup?...
 
K2 raygun 159 w/K2 formula bindings

Went with recommended stance width/binding position then slid the bindings as close together as they would go in those holes. The full width put a little odd pressure on my knees. This gives me about a 1" setback stance maybe 20-20.25 wide if I measure at the centerline of the boots over the ankle. Not sure how you are supposed to measure stance width?

I centered up my straps, but left them in the same position (didn't "re-pin?" the ends or anything).

I used the "offset?" mounting disks to set the bindings back toward the heel as much as possible and fully extended the gas pedals. My us10 Salomon still overhangs quite a bit (over 1") but it looks pretty centered eyeballing down the board with the boots strapped in.

Went +15/-9 as it was comfortable and I figured easier for learning than full on duck?

Rotated my highbacks to align with the egdes (roughly) and set a 15 degree forward lean. The forward lean makes it comfy to stand in a good stance with bent ankles, knees, and hips. I can still stand up straight, but it feels awkward and my hips are pretty far foward. Also, the lean makes it feel pretty equal to engage both the toe and the heel in terms of effort. The adjustment goes from 0-25 degrees and at 0 it was more difficult to rock up on my heel edge. In fact, I fell on my ass in the living room trying because my ass was out so far trying to sit back and I wasn't holding on to anything. :o

OK, let the flames (I mean critiques) fly.

Thanks!

OD

PS: I tinkered with this shit for over 2 hours. I think the wife is convinced I'm insane... :D

OldDog 10-12-2012 04:10 PM

No comments?
 
44 views and no comments? Guess I did OK? So much of it is personal preference, I guess it's tough to comment on someone else's setup?

I was most curious about the forward lean.

JBthe3rd 10-12-2012 04:20 PM

I think everybody is looking for pics..

lonerider 10-12-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDog (Post 525989)
44 views and no comments? Guess I did OK? So much of it is personal preference, I guess it's tough to comment on someone else's setup?

I was most curious about the forward lean.

Everything you did sounds fine - including the forward lean.

I agree that 0 degree forward lean makes heelside turns less than ideal... but a lot of wannabe park rats want to be back to the old no-back days - pay them no heed.

I have narrow hips and so my stance is also a bit narrow (20.5"-21") - I've tried wide but my knees and ankles just don't like it (even with canted footbeds). I typically ride 15/-15 or 15/-12... but that's because I ride switch 40% of the time. I think anything from 15/0 to 15/-9 is well in the range of normal preferences.

poutanen 10-12-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDog (Post 525989)
44 views and no comments? Guess I did OK? So much of it is personal preference, I guess it's tough to comment on someone else's setup?

I was most curious about the forward lean.

Yeah it all seems pretty good to me. We got none of YOUR stats though so a little hard to guess.

FWIW I'm 5'7" and ride with 21.25" stance width, -9/+9 stance.

Stance width is measured from the centre of the mounting discs.

Forward lean is good. My GF started with very little forward lean, got used to her board but was having trouble shifting from sliding to carving. We gave her a fair bit more lean and she's carving a lot better now.

Main thing is you gotta get out on it and try it! We can tell you all we know but it still might not be right for you. :D

Donutz 10-12-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDog (Post 525876)
PS: I tinkered with this shit for over 2 hours. I think the wife is convinced I'm insane... :D

Only two hours? Pffft. Piker.
:p

OldDog 10-12-2012 04:49 PM

Thanks
 
Thanks for the input. I'll post some pics when I get home if that helps.

OD

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonerider (Post 525995)
Everything you did sounds fine - including the forward lean.

I agree that 0 degree forward lean makes heelside turns less than ideal... but a lot of wannabe park rats want to be back to the old no-back days - pay them no heed.

I have narrow hips and so my stance is also a bit narrow (20.5"-21") - I've tried wide but my knees and ankles just don't like it (even with canted footbeds). I typically ride 15/-15 or 15/-12... but that's because I ride switch 40% of the time. I think anything from 15/0 to 15/-9 is well in the range of normal preferences.


OldDog 10-12-2012 04:52 PM

That's it, no cookie for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donutz (Post 526004)
Only two hours? Pffft. Piker.
:p


OldDog 10-12-2012 05:01 PM

What you didn't memorize my stats from my intro thread? :rolleyes:

5' 9.5"
195

I'll re-measure width and post it.

I would love to get out and try it, but no snow... :(

I think my wife is going to kill me if I keep trying to Ollie in the living room. :D


Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 526003)
Yeah it all seems pretty good to me. We got none of YOUR stats though so a little hard to guess.

FWIW I'm 5'7" and ride with 21.25" stance width, -9/+9 stance.

Stance width is measured from the centre of the mounting discs.

Forward lean is good. My GF started with very little forward lean, got used to her board but was having trouble shifting from sliding to carving. We gave her a fair bit more lean and she's carving a lot better now.

Main thing is you gotta get out on it and try it! We can tell you all we know but it still might not be right for you. :D


Donutz 10-12-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDog (Post 526011)
I think my wife is going to kill me if I keep trying to Ollie in the living room. :D

Yep. Plus it's hard on the carpet and it makes the dog crazy. :laugh: Tylerkat posted a pic of a 4x4 balance beam in another thread. I had made one last year as did slyder, and they're really good for getting the feel of the board. Also great exercise. Also an excuse to put the equipment on when there's no snow.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2