Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Snowboarding General Chat (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/)
-   -   Does anyone take Energy/Supplements? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/50393-does-anyone-take-energy-supplements.html)

SnowOwl 10-19-2012 11:42 AM

Does anyone take Energy/Supplements?
 
Touched on this in a different thread, but does anybody take some sort of energy drink/stimulant before hitting the slopes? Sometimes I like to take a Nitric Oxide(NO) or pre-worout(PWO), if anyone knows what those are. I was thinking about it, and in the weight room it can be an issue if you become dependent on a PWO. Can this same dependency create issues on the mountain? Does it make it harder to land those certain tricks if you don't have your fix of a stimulant?

What do you guys take? Why or why not? Pros/Cons?

Frozen 10-19-2012 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh fuck yeah. I guzzle gallons of that shit on the drive to the hill. I also blood dope, juice, an eat 11,000 calorie breakfast and sleep in a hyperbaric pressure chamber or I can't land shit.

NWBoarder 10-19-2012 12:25 PM

Coffee is my stimulant of choice for getting to the hill. Once I'm there, the Pow is all I need to keep me going. Or beer for those no Pow, groomer only kind of days. ;)

lonerider 10-19-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerkat89 (Post 528436)
Touched on this in a different thread, but does anybody take some sort of energy drink/stimulant before hitting the slopes? Sometimes I like to take a Nitric Oxide(NO) or pre-worout(PWO), if anyone knows what those are. I was thinking about it, and in the weight room it can be an issue if you become dependent on a PWO. Can this same dependency create issues on the mountain? Does it make it harder to land those certain tricks if you don't have your fix of a stimulant?

What do you guys take? Why or why not? Pros/Cons?

Pro riders like Brian Fox, Austin Smith, Josh Dirksen, and Scott Wittlake prefer to drink water.

http://snowbroader.eu/wp-content/upl...rink-water.jpg

Here's their website:
We Drink Water

Snowboarding is essentially doing ton of squats, wall sits, and some plyometrics all day. Any who think they "need" some type of stimulant beyond a morning coffee to land a trick needs to go see an addiction behavior specialist... possibly Dr.Drew :thumbsup:

snowklinger 10-19-2012 12:33 PM

I've never had a weakness for soda, and honestly I just think most of those NRG drinks are pretty much soda + ginseng/taurine/whatever the fuck, and I just think they all taste terrible. The really high caffeine ones make me feel like shit too - and I can drink coffee/tea.

I try to approach a long day of riding the same way I do hiking, with proper nutrition and hydration. This provides plenty of proper energy way better than any sugar supplement. Drinks that DO work I think are things like Gatorade, and I really like drinking coconut water (drink in moderation, it can give you the shits bigtime if not) for recovery (a pint of it has the potassium of 2+ bananas).

The caveat to the above is that up to now I'm still doing resort riding, so beers and bowls are interspersed with random regularity.

I would only prep for riding the way you do a workout, if it is going to be short session, then I could see the advantages. For a day on the mountain you need a good meal the night before along with being already hydrated, makes more of a difference than anything you do on the day of.

If I don't have herb I guess I can be cranky, but its hard to be that upset when theres snow to slide on.

SnowOwl 10-19-2012 12:45 PM

I guess I could have been a little more in depth with this. Pre work outs can also be comprised of completely natural supplementation or foods. I don't want to limit this to just NRG drinks. And btw "anything more than caffine" sounds like an oxymoron in this topic. Caffine is a stimulant, and is therefor included in what this topic is about

lonerider 10-19-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerkat89 (Post 528474)
I guess I could have been a little more in depth with this. Pre work outs can also be comprised of completely natural supplementation or foods. I don't want to limit this to just NRG drinks. And btw "anything more than caffine" sounds like an oxymoron in this topic. Caffine is a stimulant, and is therefor included in what this topic is about

It sounded like you were referring to Energy drinks (the other people replying to the post seemed to draw the same conclusions). My point was, if you need a stimulant stronger than a cup of coffee (35 mg of caffeine) then you probably needed more sleep/rest the night before.

That being said... for supplements in general. I do like Sportslegs (helps with lactic acid burn) and Recovery-ease (lessens muscle soreness after workout). Neither of those are stimulants and neither will actually help you ride... they just let you ride longer and not feel so beat up the next day.

P3 Mammoth 10-19-2012 12:53 PM

whiskey and apple fritters in the morning before riding, then at around 11 I supplement that with some crack and wheaties.

Seriously though, coffee with a little coffee mixed in.

SnowOwl 10-19-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonerider (Post 528480)
It sounded like you were referring to Energy drinks (the other people replying to the post seemed to draw the same conclusions). My point was, if you need a stimulant stronger than a cup of coffee (35 mg of caffeine) then you probably needed more sleep/rest the night before.

That being said... for supplements in general. I do like Sportslegs (helps with lactic acid burn) and Recovery-ease (lessens muscle soreness after workout). Neither of those are stimulants and neither will actually help you ride... they just let you ride longer and not feel so beat up the next day.

I realize that, which is why I said "I could have been more in depth" lol. But what you listed works. Nitric Oxide isn't considered a stimulant, and that is usually my main go to. It gives you energy(both explosive and endurance) and mental focus, and it's considered a supplement because your body actually produces it. I'm looking for things along those lines. But stimulants do count, and I agree, they aren't good for you. I'm aware of how they work, and effect your body since I'm a personal trainer. Just looking to see what the snowboard community does!

sabatoa 10-19-2012 01:08 PM

Redbull makes me feel weird. I stay away from it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2