How much snow do I need?... - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,204
Default

If there is only 2 inches, when you try to turn your board edge will stick into the grass and you will go flying. You would need maybe 4 in of hard packed snow or a 10/12 inches of fresh soft snow to ride down that and make sort of comfortable turns. You are new, so any turns you make won't dig your edge in that much, but I would wait for 1 more storm if there are only 2 inches on the ground.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
OldDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern BC
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
If there is only 2 inches, when you try to turn your board edge will stick into the grass and you will go flying. You would need maybe 4 in of hard packed snow or a 10/12 inches of fresh soft snow to ride down that and make sort of comfortable turns. You are new, so any turns you make won't dig your edge in that much, but I would wait for 1 more storm if there are only 2 inches on the ground.
Meh, that's what I was afraid of. Digg'n all the way through with edges. There won't be one more storm before it rains and it is all gone. Welcome to the PNW.

I might go check it out anyway.
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
HoboMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,314
Default

I feel like trying to ride on sketchy surfaces when you've never been snowboarding before is a bad idea, but that's just my input.
__________________
PowderHound and TreeNinja
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
OldDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern BC
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
If there is only 2 inches, when you try to turn your board edge will stick into the grass and you will go flying. You would need maybe 4 in of hard packed snow or a 10/12 inches of fresh soft snow to ride down that and make sort of comfortable turns. You are new, so any turns you make won't dig your edge in that much, but I would wait for 1 more storm if there are only 2 inches on the ground.
^This...

FAIL, I won't call it an epic FAIL cuz I'm none the worse for wear.

There is actually 3.5" or so and it's coming down pretty hard. However, with no hard-pack under it I went straight to the grass and stopped dead whenever I tried to go up on edge. Flat-basing is too sketchy in the back seat, and when I tried to lean downhill my nose just buried and I stopped anyway. Lame...

I was just skating and gliding so it wasn't a big deal, but yeah need like twice that much snow at least.

Thanks for all the replies though.
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
OldDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern BC
Posts: 300
Default

Oh and I almost forgot the best parts. First I ignored the "stay off the grass, the damage you do is permanent" sign and then I was yelled at in a British accent something to the effect of "find a proper hill!". Turns out I work with the guy. Still kind of hilarious.
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
timmytard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I can see Santa shoveling his driveway
Posts: 2,475
Default

Get out there, who gives a shit if anyone see you.

It's all in your head, you've watched a little bit of snowboarding right?

Lean right=turn right. You know the rest.

As long as you don't try & crank a really hard deep carve, just big smooth easy ones. You won't dig in & get caught up.

If you can find a hill that has a bit of a run out, you won't have to carve that much anyway, but you'll definitely get the feel for it.

Picture yourself doin' big wide ones & you'll get it.


On a side note, if you have a SportChek anywhere near you, you can sign up for 30 free base grinds & hot waxes.

TT
__________________
If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
OldDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern BC
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytard View Post
Get out there, who gives a shit if anyone see you.

It's all in your head, you've watched a little bit of snowboarding right?

Lean right=turn right. You know the rest.

As long as you don't try & crank a really hard deep carve, just big smooth easy ones. You won't dig in & get caught up.

If you can find a hill that has a bit of a run out, you won't have to carve that much anyway, but you'll definitely get the feel for it.

Picture yourself doin' big wide ones & you'll get it.


On a side note, if you have a SportChek anywhere near you, you can sign up for 30 free base grinds & hot waxes.

TT
I tried, just wasn't enough snow. Dumping now, but I doubt we'll get another 5"+ to make it doable...
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
C.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 335
Default

I snowboard on less than 4" all the time in my back yard you won't hurt anything, especially if you have never snowboarded before you won't be doing much carving anyways
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
OldDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern BC
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.B. View Post
I snowboard on less than 4" all the time in my back yard you won't hurt anything, especially if you have never snowboarded before you won't be doing much carving anyways
I'm not worried about my board. However, < 4" of fresh with bare grass under it doesn't work. As soon as you try to engage an edge you dig right into the grass and stop dead. I tried it.

Why do people insist on replying without reading the thread?

It's not like it's tltr or some shit...?

More importantly, why to do I keep reading their responses and worse yet, replying...
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
timmytard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I can see Santa shoveling his driveway
Posts: 2,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
I'm not worried about my board. However, < 4" of fresh with bare grass under it doesn't work. As soon as you try to engage an edge you dig right into the grass and stop dead. I tried it.

Why do people insist on replying without reading the thread?

It's not like it's tltr or some shit...?

More importantly, why to do I keep reading their responses and worse yet, replying...
There's your problem engaging the edge.

Pick spot where you can bomb the whole thing.

A younger guy could do it.

Just fuckin' wit chya....

Now get your ass back out there.
__________________
If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums