Two Snowboarders stuck on Rainier - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,805
Default Two Snowboarders stuck on Rainier

Snowboarders forced to spend another night on Mount Rainier | KING5.com Seattle

And if you're members of this forum, expect a rash of shit giving once you get out.

Hopefully it was just a cold night and they'll get out today. If they are just a half mile from rescuers and the weather cooperates, it should be an easy evac.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 9,706
Default

Well it's not Snowolf so the level of shit talking I was about to do just went seriously down.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Sassicaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 570
Default

Do you guys in the US slap people who get lost with rescue costs? It happens so much around Vancouver with the local mountains that the idea has been tossed around.


Personally i love the idea.
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,805
Default

It is talked about, but everyone I know who is in search and rescue is against it. Basically because some people will then be afraid to call for help and will needlessly die or suffer because of it. There are programs in several states that you can buy into for a minimal cost to offset S&R costs. In Colorado, you can by the SAR Card. $3 for a year or $12 for five years. If you are involved in a S&R situation, by buying the card you are covered. The S&R Group(s) who come to your rescue will be reimbursed through a general fund. This card is also part of Hunting and Fishing License fees, so those people are covered too. The other benefit is, if you buy one, you don't have to carry it. You're registered in a database that can verify you paid for it.

That said, some idiots who were just plain reckless have been charged with costs because they didn't have the card and they were stupid.

I don't think this is necessarily the case with these guys, though I would have thought they would be able to get down under their own power.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Sassicaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
It is talked about, but everyone I know who is in search and rescue is against it. Basically because some people will then be afraid to call for help and will needlessly die or suffer because of it. There are programs in several states that you can buy into for a minimal cost to offset S&R costs. In Colorado, you can by the SAR Card. $3 for a year or $12 for five years. If you are involved in a S&R situation, by buying the card you are covered. The S&R Group(s) who come to your rescue will be reimbursed through a general fund. This card is also part of Hunting and Fishing License fees, so those people are covered too. The other benefit is, if you buy one, you don't have to carry it. You're registered in a database that can verify you paid for it.

That said, some idiots who were just plain reckless have been charged with costs because they didn't have the card and they were stupid.

I don't think this is necessarily the case with these guys, though I would have thought they would be able to get down under their own power.

I get that logic, but on the other hand SOMEONE has to pay for the search and rescue. Either its tax payers who were not involved in the risky behavior, or the person who made the choice to take the risk. I get that there is a theory some people wouldn't call because they dont want to pay, so some type of insurance like you pointed out would be great. If they waive the insurance, and waive the call for help in hopes not to pay yet still do something which is universally known as risky and suffer or die...well thats Darwinism or (for you religious guys its gods will) that they suffer or die.
Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
I get that logic, but on the other hand SOMEONE has to pay for the search and rescue. Either its tax payers who were not involved in the risky behavior, or the person who made the choice to take the risk. I get that there is a theory some people wouldn't call because they dont want to pay, so some type of insurance like you pointed out would be great. If they waive the insurance, and waive the call for help in hopes not to pay yet still do something which is universally known as risky and suffer or die...well thats Darwinism or (for you religious guys its gods will) that they suffer or die.
In terms of taxes these people cost about 1% , compared to the people on welfare that think they need smart phones and BMWs provided by the tax payer.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz
 
seriouscat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 512
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Do you guys in the US slap people who get lost with rescue costs? It happens so much around Vancouver with the local mountains that the idea has been tossed around.


Personally i love the idea.
Not sure about BC, but in AB you can get charged with fees if you are not in a National/Prov park.
__________________
I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs. Alexander Karelin
seriouscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,376
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriouscat View Post
Not sure about BC, but in AB you can get charged with fees if you are not in a National/Prov park.
when i looked at hiring a guide last year in europe there was mandatory insurance purchase for rescue.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,805
Default

There is also the point that a lot of stuff people are doing is not considered risky until it becomes that. Going for a hike in the woods, twist, break and ankle, that sort of thing. These guys being on Paradise on Rainier is definitely not out of the ordinary.

Other people yeah, they do really stupid stuff. Going for long hard hikes without food, water, or proper gear, that sort of thing.

I know it's hard when you see so many that are just oblivious to the situation they are in until it hits the fan. I hate that person too. Deciding who is going to pay and not going to pay for their rescue is a slippery slope. One could argue, just by going out there, you are engaged in stupid reckless behavior and that you shouldn't be there. That doesn't really work for me either. Backcountry wilderness is there to be enjoyed in all seasons. Otherwise the only logical thing to do is stay locked up in your house.

All said and done, I like the SAR Card program and more areas should use that model. Tacking it on to Hunting and fishing license alone would be a huge boost for S&R costs. H&F is big business.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 78
Default

re: recovering rescue costs

I had some vague recollection that Vermont bills people for rescue, so I did a minute's searching and found some stuff that said they do have the authority to bill for rescues but maybe do or do not actually do it, depending.
__________________
Sooner or later your legs give way, you hit the ground.
MikeIn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums