Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Snowboarding General Chat (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/)
-   -   Edges question! please help! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/51438-edges-question-please-help.html)

Upwards 11-21-2012 06:59 PM

Edges question! please help!
 
So, 4 days ago I went to get my board tuned up. I got the board ground down as it had ALOT of scratches. And as a result of the bottom getting ground it sharpened the edges. The guy at the shop said to use a rock?! L0L should I really be using a rock to de-tune the edges of my board? Wont that make micro burrs in the edges? Really need help on this one, resort opens in 8 days.
EDIT: the board looks pretty nice still some gnarly scratches on the bottom but, for the most part the scratches are gone.
Thanks for help in advance.

lonerider 11-21-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upwards (Post 542077)
So, 4 days ago I went to get my board tuned up. I got the board ground down as it had ALOT of scratches. And as a result of the bottom getting ground it sharpened the edges. The guy at the shop said to use a rock?! L0L should I really be using a rock to de-tune the edges of my board? Wont that make micro burrs in the edges? Really need help on this one, resort opens in 8 days.
EDIT: the board looks pretty nice still some gnarly scratches on the bottom but, for the most part the scratches are gone.
Thanks for help in advance.

Wait, they did a base grind, but didn't do the edges? I hope you only paid like $20 for that then.

Pocket gummy stone, $4.95, nuf said.

Upwards 11-21-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonerider (Post 542079)
Wait, they did a base grind, but didn't do the edges? I hope you only paid like $20 for that then.

Pocket gummy stone, $4.95, nuf said.

they must've done the edges for free, or maybe they just polished them because now they're all shiny so... and plus I got it waxed.

lonerider 11-21-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upwards (Post 542080)
they must've done the edges for free, or maybe they just polished them because now they're all shiny so... and plus I got it waxed.

Ah... full tune then (base grind, edges and wax). You usually have to specifically ask to only get a basegrind). So the board already has been detuned for you (they usually detune the contact points a little). Just ride it then.

Bones 11-21-2012 07:22 PM

A rock? Seriously?

I think you need to figure out whether that shop employs just the one idiot or a whole bunch.

Are your edges sharp or just shiny? Were they dull before the base grind?

Frankly, if you don't know, then just ride it

Upwards 11-21-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones (Post 542083)
A rock? Seriously?

I think you need to figure out whether that shop employs just the one idiot or a whole bunch.

Are your edges sharp or just shiny? Were they dull before the base grind?

Frankly, if you don't know, then just ride it

My edges are sharp and shiny, the nose and tail edges however are not sharp or shiny and are brown,which was the color of all of the edges before the tune.

Upwards 11-21-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonerider (Post 542081)
Ah... full tune then (base grind, edges and wax). You usually have to specifically ask to only get a basegrind). So the board already has been detuned for you (they usually detune the contact points a little). Just ride it then.

I asked for base grind and a hand waxed board, I think the board's edges were sharpened when they grinded the base.

lonerider 11-21-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upwards (Post 542087)
My edges are sharp and shiny, the nose and tail edges however are not sharp or shiny and are brown,which was the color of all of the edges before the tune.

Makes sense, why bother sharpening the nose and tail... since you would have to detune those anyway. Just ride the board.

Bones 11-21-2012 09:21 PM

Side edges too?

No offense, all I got from your question is that you couldn't tell if the edges had been sharpened except for the fact that they no longer had rust. And then you seemed to be seriously considering detuning them with a rock.

I can see grinding the base and taking the rust of the base side of the edges. If the side edges are now shiny too, then it has very probably been sharpened. If you run your finger down it and it feels sharp and smooth, then ...well... it is.

No one sharpens the tip and tail...why would you?

snowklinger 11-21-2012 11:57 PM

He should have said "stone" in which case there is a difference.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2