Edges question! please help! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Edges question! please help!

So, 4 days ago I went to get my board tuned up. I got the board ground down as it had ALOT of scratches. And as a result of the bottom getting ground it sharpened the edges. The guy at the shop said to use a rock?! L0L should I really be using a rock to de-tune the edges of my board? Wont that make micro burrs in the edges? Really need help on this one, resort opens in 8 days.
EDIT: the board looks pretty nice still some gnarly scratches on the bottom but, for the most part the scratches are gone.
Thanks for help in advance.

Last edited by Upwards; 11-21-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Upwards is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upwards View Post
So, 4 days ago I went to get my board tuned up. I got the board ground down as it had ALOT of scratches. And as a result of the bottom getting ground it sharpened the edges. The guy at the shop said to use a rock?! L0L should I really be using a rock to de-tune the edges of my board? Wont that make micro burrs in the edges? Really need help on this one, resort opens in 8 days.
EDIT: the board looks pretty nice still some gnarly scratches on the bottom but, for the most part the scratches are gone.
Thanks for help in advance.
Wait, they did a base grind, but didn't do the edges? I hope you only paid like $20 for that then.

Pocket gummy stone, $4.95, nuf said.
lonerider is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Wait, they did a base grind, but didn't do the edges? I hope you only paid like $20 for that then.

Pocket gummy stone, $4.95, nuf said.
they must've done the edges for free, or maybe they just polished them because now they're all shiny so... and plus I got it waxed.
Upwards is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upwards View Post
they must've done the edges for free, or maybe they just polished them because now they're all shiny so... and plus I got it waxed.
Ah... full tune then (base grind, edges and wax). You usually have to specifically ask to only get a basegrind). So the board already has been detuned for you (they usually detune the contact points a little). Just ride it then.
lonerider is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
A rock? Seriously?

I think you need to figure out whether that shop employs just the one idiot or a whole bunch.

Are your edges sharp or just shiny? Were they dull before the base grind?

Frankly, if you don't know, then just ride it
Bones is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
A rock? Seriously?

I think you need to figure out whether that shop employs just the one idiot or a whole bunch.

Are your edges sharp or just shiny? Were they dull before the base grind?

Frankly, if you don't know, then just ride it
My edges are sharp and shiny, the nose and tail edges however are not sharp or shiny and are brown,which was the color of all of the edges before the tune.
Upwards is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Ah... full tune then (base grind, edges and wax). You usually have to specifically ask to only get a basegrind). So the board already has been detuned for you (they usually detune the contact points a little). Just ride it then.
I asked for base grind and a hand waxed board, I think the board's edges were sharpened when they grinded the base.
Upwards is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upwards View Post
My edges are sharp and shiny, the nose and tail edges however are not sharp or shiny and are brown,which was the color of all of the edges before the tune.
Makes sense, why bother sharpening the nose and tail... since you would have to detune those anyway. Just ride the board.
lonerider is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Side edges too?

No offense, all I got from your question is that you couldn't tell if the edges had been sharpened except for the fact that they no longer had rust. And then you seemed to be seriously considering detuning them with a rock.

I can see grinding the base and taking the rust of the base side of the edges. If the side edges are now shiny too, then it has very probably been sharpened. If you run your finger down it and it feels sharp and smooth, then ...well... it is.

No one sharpens the tip and tail...why would you?
Bones is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 6,853
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
He should have said "stone" in which case there is a difference.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome