The Art of Flight Series (the making of) - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #41 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
OldDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern BC
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER View Post
Just to have an idea where you're coming from... And no I'm not reading the whole tread to see who's right...You really care?
Those guys put together a movie to make $...nt to demonstrate something I guess.. to show how they made AoF (Which is pretty badass..)

Have you seen Deeper / Further?
Yes I have, way better than AoF of TITA in my opinion...

No, I don't give a shit if you read it. I think I'm going to unsub so I don't have to read it anymore either.

I'm over it.
OldDog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #42 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Yes I have, way better than AoF of TITA in my opinion...

No, I don't give a shit if you read it. I think I'm going to unsub so I don't have to read it anymore either.

I'm over it.




watch:

__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
C.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Just remember how fucking lucky you are to get paid to do something you love that is essentially a recreational activity.
This is basically what I do(not a pro snowboarder though) and while it's the best job I have ever had, it is also the hardest work.

Just because they have put themselves in a position where they have work that most of us are jealous of doesnt make them douchbags.
C.B. is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 793
Default

I really don't understand your stance Olddog.

You talked about pro snowboarders being douchey, so some other posters talked about examples of the big pros they'd met who were nice guys and you say they're name dropping? That makes no sense.

Also, just because some pros like to have fun and screw around when they film filler clips, doesn't means these guys don't understand how lucky they are to be doing what they do.

Don't watch a 5 minute segment that was meant to be for fun and think that's the in-depth look into the full lifestyle of a pro snowboarder. That'd be like reading the first page of a book and assuming you know the entire story.
__________________
I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #45 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 10,202
Default

Jed don't bother trying to understand this guy he's a 37 douche bag that made horrible choices in life and hasn't found freedom from those bad choices that he made. Snowboarding could be an outlet but as he doesn't understand it or the work the pros take to do it he'll sit here pissed off having never actually ridden and try to talk shit.

When you put down a 100 day season there buddy talk to me about the gripes these guys have.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Are you sure you're even in your 20's? Every time you post I facepalm myself then question if you have the mental capacity of a sea sponge.

I've met Travis a few times, talked with him briefly, have a lot of friends that work/live/ride with him. The whole concept of Supernatural wasn't to crown a winner regardless of what they led you to believe, it was to showcase the other side of snowboarding that the mainstream never sees. RedBull dumped a shit ton into that to market that event to get people out of the mindset that snowboarding is this formulated halfpipe or slopestyle run.

Also if you think he actually "oversaw" the building of that course you're insane. It was what's his nuts from Baldface that did all the work, the lay out, etc. etc. After the fact they realized they laid it out completely wrong and are going to have to change it going forward for the riders.

Now I will say this "Art of Flight" should be called "Art of Filler" Airplanes filming helicopters filming airplanes filming guys on sleds filming elks migrating filming grass blowing in the wind. It's a movie not for snowboarders it's for people that ride maybe once a year, use snowboarding as more a social gathering or backdrop, and just wanted some eye candy. If you want to see snowboarding for snowboarders pick up Absinthe.
" The whole concept of Supernatural wasn't to crown a winner regardless of what they led you to believe, it was to showcase the other side of snowboarding that the mainstream never sees. RedBull dumped a shit ton into that to market that event to get people out of the mindset that snowboarding is this formulated halfpipe or slopestyle run."

I do agree with you on this. The slopestyle and halpipes contests have getting boring and don't show what snowboarding is really about.

If you know for a fact that he didn't oversee it, ok then. That's just the impression I got from official videos including the ones here: http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/...21243147631531
In the interview he constantly says "we built...", "I looked for this place ", I've been working on this...", etc. In the preview video you see Travis on the construction site, advising the loggers at a few points.
If he really didn't direct the construction and design of the course, I would have expected to see less of that and more of "they worked on this", "they've been designing it"; that kind of shit. But what I saw was the complete opposite, so of course I'm going to be convinced that Rice designed the contest.

If Rice wanted to prove that he is the best, he should have told Red Bull the idea for the contest setup and provided the location, and then let them organize the whole thing with absolutely no affiliation with himself. That way every viewer, including me, could be sure that he would have had just as much of a fair chance as the other riders. If the whole point of the contest was to bring snowboard competition to a new level (which it did), I don't even think he needed to compete in it. It was already obvious that he has better skills than the other riders.

Don't be such a fucking asshole. You sound like you think you know everything about Rice just because you've met him and know a few people who work with him. That's called being a fan boy.
__________________
This is a tasty burger.
Gdog42 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Jed don't bother trying to understand this guy he's a 37 douche bag that made horrible choices in life and hasn't found freedom from those bad choices that he made. Snowboarding could be an outlet but as he doesn't understand it or the work the pros take to do it he'll sit here pissed off having never actually ridden and try to talk shit.

When you put down a 100 day season there buddy talk to me about the gripes these guys have.
That literally made me facepalm. Judging someone because of their age and their opinions. You just sound like some pissed off kid who goes around trying to get attention on the internet.

Get a life, douche.
__________________
This is a tasty burger.
Gdog42 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 412
Default

It doesn't matter have if Rice built the course. No one has the chance to ride the course until the day of the competition. Everyone gets a chance to take a look at the course for a few days and plan their lines if they wanted to. At the end of the day Rice put down the best run of the day.

"Stevens is cool because he's just a flat-out decent person who's not trying to show off or anything, just have fun. He has a great attitude, and at the same time he's by far the best urban/park riders I've ever seen. I swear he's a jedi or a ninja or something."

So Rice is not cool, not having fun, and doesn't have a great attitude by doing big backcountry jumps, backside 720s on Alaska lines, and dropping off from a heli?

And how do you know the guy's a douche, you haven't even met him.
skip11 is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #49 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post

I have no problem with recognizing talent and the dedication it takes to develop it. Just remember how fucking lucky you are to get paid to do something you love that is essentially a recreational activity. It's called humility.
It's so funny, I am not a pro snowboarder but I take so much offense to this it's not even funny. I guess because I hear it all the time!

Im not going to say what I do, but it's something that a lot of people dream of doing. In fact, I dreamed of doing it too. I've wanted to the job I have since I was 17 years old. I worked my fucking ass off, caught a few lucky breaks, and yeah I scored the job of a lifetime. That was 20 years ago and you'd think I'd be so fucking stoked on my gig. Wouldn't you?

Nope, now it's just a fucking grind and I hate it. I've actually mentored people coming up in my industry and the bitterness just oozes out of me And I hear the that very same line..."how can you complain, you have MY DREAM JOB" wah wah wah....

and I tell them "kid you do this for 15 years and get back to me. " No matter what it is you do, when you need to do it to pay the rent it stops being fun.

I fucking love to snowboard. Ive ridden ~50 days the last two seasons and probably will this season too. Am I jealous of pros? No fucking way. I can't even imagine the pressure and stress to keep getting better and pushing the the envelope, risking injury etc. Really. There's a big difference between doing a recreational activity and training to compete or perform at the top level of a sport. That's the kind of pressure that sucks the fun out of things.


Wake up sore? Have a hang over? Don't feel good? Don't feel like being cold? Too bad. it's your JOB. Get out there and train! and I bet that sucks.
__________________
if a cat fucked a shark, the babies would be called women. snowklinger

Last edited by mixie; 11-30-2012 at 09:58 PM.
mixie is offline  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #50 (permalink)
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,527
Default

old dog and Gdog - you both sound like bitter, clueless, retards.

Any pro snowboarder from today's era is basically doing things that literally risk their lives for a cool-looking video clip.

not to mention the fact that you're both noob bitches who have absolutely no concept of what snowboarding is. you have no clue how much work the people who have put themselves in these positions have done to get there. you have no clue the injuries they deal with. you guys are completely clueless - so shut the fuck up. the more you say the more stupid you come off as.

no one comes around your job and bitches at how easy it must be to suck a dick now do they?

Last edited by ShredLife; 11-30-2012 at 10:05 PM.
ShredLife is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums