Stupid shit going on. - Page 18 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #171 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 9,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
hahaha nice work well at least that means i have accom in breck now when i bring him back to visit!

i tried to just ease it into the conversation, but then thought fuck it, threadjack lol
He's your problem now you're on your own finding a place to stay if you visit here again.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #172 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
cjcameron11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 772
Default

I guess ill have to beg my mate again to use his crib next year. Planning on being back Jan 2014 so ill bring him round and introduce him haha
__________________
my names's Petey and i have gigantic balls
cjcameron11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #173 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRock View Post
So we agree on Epic Ski... but like I said, its not the place to go for anything specific on snowboarding.

TGR has great info but much of it would mean nothing to the average rider. Does it really benefit the 10 day a year guy to know the ins and outs of Le Grave? The "beta" on the backcountry for someone that will never earn a turn. The macro industry/resort stuff? Why does someone making one trip a year care?
That is a strange statement to make. I have accounts on snow sports forums, mountain biking forums, technology forums, science forums, photography, video games, college sports, etc. Do I need to partake in all of those activities regularly for there to be 'justification' for me reading them or having accounts there? Of course not. Snowolf probably votes once a year (if that)... should he therefore stop reading or posting to political forums/boards?

Quote:
Even at a resort info level, any discussion is centered around skiers (mostly) at a much different experience level than the masses. That what I meant with my question.
All that means is that I mostly skim or ignore the posts about ski length or boot fitting. Any threads that might discuss a new lift or snow conditions are still relevant. Also, just because I snowboard, why should I ignore skiers? In my experience, very few people on the hill give a rat's ass what your feet are strapped to.

Quote:
Does it hurt to read that sort of stuff? Of course not. Is it practical info that the flatlander going to a resort out west for his first time can do anything with? Not really. Its certainly not a place to ask questions (on anything) if you aren't already riding/skiing at a high level.
I disagree. Someone going out west for the first time might not get much from a thread discussing a local ski movie premiere or the current stability of a BC snowpack, but they will definitely learn something from threads talking about the efficacy of air bags, when/where to carry beacons (like what air bags and beacons are), or even which resorts are RV friendly.

Are you perhaps arguing that I have no business reading TGR because you cannot dispute the point that the content there is richer than here?
__________________
Read on another forum: "If someone held a gun to my head and said, "You have to move to Salida tomorrow", I'd probably do it. If they told me I had to go to Breckenridge instead, I think I'd just let them pull the trigger."
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #174 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
If Tarzan is that enamored with TGR, he should just stay there and quit visiting this forum. Or at the very least not come here and bitch non stop.
Go ahead and check my post history. I'd hardly call that "bitching non stop".
A year/year and a half ago you yourself were making a public push to make this forum more friendly. Did you succeed?

Quote:
Additionally, I will say that it is considered bad form to come onto one forum, bitch about how shitty it is then suggest that people go to another forum. Do that shit on TGR and see how long you last. This is just another form of spamming and if I really was the asshole Tarzanman thinks I am I would totally be in my rights to ban his ass for spamming. I have no intention of doing so (yet) but just sayin.
Lol. Do as you see fit. I have never ever started a thread on how 'shitty' the forum is, nor started a thread just to insult or argue with another member. I do not think the same can be said for everyone partaking in this discussion.

If you decide to rationalize banning/removing/moderating/whatever-ing my account by claiming I am spamming the forum (lol, as if), then I can hardly stop you, can I?

Sorry that my criticism of the board bothers you, though the fact that a few gripes by a single poster (me) has you mentioning the ban hammer while a dozen flames by 3 or 4 other posters is business-is-usual lends a bit of credence to my observations about the site.
__________________
Read on another forum: "If someone held a gun to my head and said, "You have to move to Salida tomorrow", I'd probably do it. If they told me I had to go to Breckenridge instead, I think I'd just let them pull the trigger."
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #175 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,656
Default

Richer content on TGR? Okay. They do kill it with the TR's for sure but overall that site isn't much different than here. Larger viewership for sure. Probably the largest snow sports forum on the web. I also hang out with a ton of the maggots from the site. A lot of them I ride with on a regular basis. It is a quality site.

You are super active over there. 9 posts versus the over 1300 here. Intimidated much?
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #176 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
BoardWalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
mousy little pussies

Is anyone else turned on?
BoardWalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #177 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Toecutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mt. Bachelor
Posts: 1,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Richer content on TGR? Okay. They do kill it with the TR's for sure but overall that site isn't much different than here. Larger viewership for sure. Probably the largest snow sports forum on the web. I also hang out with a ton of the maggots from the site. A lot of them I ride with on a regular basis. It is a quality site.

You are super active over there. 9 posts versus the over 1300 here. Intimidated much?
I have all of 71 posts on TGR. I can't figure out what the hell people are talking about half the time, LOL!
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #178 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW NJ via NYC
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
That is a strange statement to make. I have accounts on snow sports forums, mountain biking forums, technology forums, science forums, photography, video games, college sports, etc. Do I need to partake in all of those activities regularly for there to be 'justification' for me reading them or having accounts there? Of course not. Snowolf probably votes once a year (if that)... should he therefore stop reading or posting to political forums/boards?
Are you intentionally being obtuse or do you really not get it? Background and deep knowledge is great if you are an enthusiast and just seeking knowledge. Nowhere did I say you had to "justify" reading anything. Knowledge is wonderful... I am talking about utility. Outside of the inherent benefits of expanding your mind, it doesn't do a whole lot for you if you don't partake in any of those activities to know that level of detail does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I disagree. Someone going out west for the first time might not get much from a thread discussing a local ski movie premiere or the current stability of a BC snowpack, but they will definitely learn something from threads talking about the efficacy of air bags, when/where to carry beacons (like what air bags and beacons are), or even which resorts are RV friendly.
Sure they may learn something.. but what purpose does it serve the kid from jersey heading to Breck to know about the latest in beacon and airbag tech? What do they do with info on the plight of maggots looking to park in the Kirkwood lot overnight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Are you perhaps arguing that I have no business reading TGR because you cannot dispute the point that the content there is richer than here?
Where on earth did I say that or anything specifically about you and what you should or shouldn't read. I am disputing the utility of that "rich" content to the snowboarder of the masses that frequents this forum. I'm sure the tips area here has helped countless riders advance. TGR offers nothing of the sort.

I'll tell you what has become clear ... you are the kind that thinks experience does not matter when you can read about it on a forum. I would point to your post in a thread about avalanche mitigation. You have zero perspective on the matter yet think because you are a learned sort (and avid TGR reader) you offer something of value. All your post really showed was a lack of perspective given mitigation (albeit not with bombs) does take place all the time with cornice drops and ski cuts. Its not an area I have much experience in so I am treading towards your schtick even commenting on the subject.

You can read about things all you want, but its when you apply that knowledge through experience that you truly learn.
SnowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #179 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 9,313
Default

My names Tarzanman I know all cause I dun red it on da intrawebz. Guys a fucktard if you people haven't realized that in the last 2 years of me constantly shitting on his dumbass I feel bad for you. He's going to bitch and moan because no one cares that he snowboards 10 days a year. Guys a kook full force, like when he tried to argue with me about Summit County. Local vs guy in Atlanta or wherever the fuck he's from, who has more knowledge?

CJ you keep my demon seed away from me. I'll call upon him when I need an organ transplant or some bone marrow.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #180 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRock View Post
Are you intentionally being obtuse or do you really not get it? Background and deep knowledge is great if you are an enthusiast and just seeking knowledge. Nowhere did I say you had to "justify" reading anything. Knowledge is wonderful... I am talking about utility. Outside of the inherent benefits of expanding your mind, it doesn't do a whole lot for you if you don't partake in any of those activities to know that level of detail does it?
We are venturing way off topic here but....
If that is the case then why do anything except eat, sleep, shower, and procreate? Why read a magazine/look at art/do anything abstract that does not serve a specific, practical purpose? Being informed or well read or however you describe it can have unintentional benefits. Do you suppose that it was a skier that discovered/invented the thiosulfate used in hand warmers? The polymers used in modern skis, or a dozen other examples? Maybe you don't really mean to say that knowledge isn't useful, but that is what your argument is stating.


Quote:
Sure they may learn something.. but what purpose does it serve the kid from jersey heading to Breck to know about the latest in beacon and airbag tech? What do they do with info on the plight of maggots looking to park in the Kirkwood lot overnight?
He might learn that an airbag won't save his life if an avalanche drags him through trees and that Recco is a piss-poor alternative to having a beacon, pole, shovel, rope, and knowing how to use them. Or that if he ever does go into the BC that a basic avy course would be a better idea than blindly following some random bozo who might or might not know what they are doing.

Quote:
Where on earth did I say that or anything specifically about you and what you should or shouldn't read. I am disputing the utility of that "rich" content to the snowboarder of the masses that frequents this forum. I'm sure the tips area here has helped countless riders advance. TGR offers nothing of the sort.
Well, according to some folks on the forum I still haven't logged in enough time on the snow to tell an alpine board from a mono-ski. Are you suggesting that there isn't anything I could read on TGR that might help me make it down Beartooth at JHMR without having to check my speed with a side slip every couple of yards?

Quote:
I'll tell you what has become clear ... you are the kind that thinks experience does not matter when you can read about it on a forum. I would point to your post in a thread about avalanche mitigation. You have zero perspective on the matter yet think because you are a learned sort (and avid TGR reader) you offer something of value. All your post really showed was a lack of perspective given mitigation (albeit not with bombs) does take place all the time with cornice drops and ski cuts. Its not an area I have much experience in so I am treading towards your schtick even commenting on the subject.
You should read what I have written a little more closely, because you have plain misunderstood me. Nowhere did I say that experience isn't valuable (if I did, point it out to me and I'll amend the statement).

Quote:
You can read about things all you want, but its when you apply that knowledge through experience that you truly learn.
It depends on the context. You can't learn to ride a motorcycle or ride a snowboard from reading about it on a forum, but you can certainly learn how to build/repair electronics and machines or how to field dress a wound (how is that for a random example?) well enough with only a book in front of you.
__________________
Read on another forum: "If someone held a gun to my head and said, "You have to move to Salida tomorrow", I'd probably do it. If they told me I had to go to Breckenridge instead, I think I'd just let them pull the trigger."
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums