New ebook about the life of a chalet host - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 30
Default

Not at all - the feedback has been from people on other forums who have purchased and read it, I can post links but I don't want to spam lol.

How is posting about my book any ruder than calling it SH*TTY???

In terms of the writing style - I'm not claiming to be a professional writer and it's meant to have a conversational feel, which is something people have said comes across. As you rightly mention, it's self-published so I didn't have the luxury of a ghost writer or a publishing house to pay for several runs of proofreading.

I'm sorry that reading and replying to my post took up precious moments of your time but lets be honest, surely there are worse things in the world to get so irate over?!
ChaletBoy1980 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
hikeswithdogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minnesota Summer--Utah Winter
Posts: 967
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi View Post
Almost feels like Hikeswithdogs threw up some ebook on Amazon and then came back here thinking that he could shill his own book to make a few bucks...
Really?!?!?

For starters I've never even been to Europe to ride dipshit, the fact is I read about 10-20 books a month many of them are Amazon writers or self published I like to support the writing community especially if their snowboarders, climbers or paddlers.

Geesh sorry for f'ing trying to support someone(a fellow rider) trying to become something more than what they are...fuck off.

Of course in the era of jersey shore and Honey boo boo most people to too fucking stupid or lazy to read these days so I should expect nothing less
__________________
makingfreshtracks.blogspot.com

Last edited by hikeswithdogs; 12-26-2012 at 05:44 PM.
hikeswithdogs is offline  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 9,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaletBoy1980 View Post
Wow! It's friendly round here!

Apologies if I offended anyone by posting it here but, as a long term boarder who gets a kick out of the chilled, supportive nature of those who enjoy the sport, I was just hoping to use forums like this to put the word out about something I'm very proud to have written.

If you're not interested in reading or purchasing the book then that is obviously no worries but I've had some really good feedback on it. I'm not a professional writer and just did this as a bit of fun whilst I was in the Alps and to keep a memory of my time there. A few people read it and said I should make it available so that's what I did.

Happy holidays everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaletBoy1980 View Post
Not at all - the feedback has been from people on other forums who have purchased and read it, I can post links but I don't want to spam lol.

How is posting about my book any ruder than calling it SH*TTY???

In terms of the writing style - I'm not claiming to be a professional writer and it's meant to have a conversational feel, which is something people have said comes across. As you rightly mention, it's self-published so I didn't have the luxury of a ghost writer or a publishing house to pay for several runs of proofreading.

I'm sorry that reading and replying to my post took up precious moments of your time but lets be honest, surely there are worse things in the world to get so irate over?!
Let me point something out here for you about proper Forum etiquette. If you're an already existing member we would welcome you with open arms. You are not! Instead you thought to yourself, hey I'm fucking awesome I turned 30 moved to the mountains for 4 months and got to live the typical douche bag snow carnie lifestyle.

In the process of 4 months of inebriation I somehow managed to document my random misadventures which are nothing special. Now after 4 months of sucking at life and being poor due to making piss poor life decisions I thought I could write a book and sell it to recoup some of my losses.

As a thirty something successful snowboard bum and writer. Your style is horrible, I read the introductory paragraph and subsequent other pages. It's pure trash. Oh look at me I was going into my 30's and had wasted my youth, I needed a change, blah blah blah I'm going to run away and find myself. News flash if you haven't found yourself in the first 25 years of your life you won't find it later on you're a lost cause and should suck on the end of a shotgun. Although in the UK that's probably a bit harder than here in the states so maybe fall off the roof of your flat onto a pile of broken glass.

Whoever said it was worth reading should join you in jumping off their roof. Stupidity encouraging stupidity should be forced to deal with Darwinism.

Oh and yes I'm a dick and it's not nice to say how crappy your book is. But I don't care if you cry out your ass cause it hurts.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is online now  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
ARSENALFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 910
Default

I think we should all start by reading Eat, Sleep, Pray. Once we are done finding ourselves, we can then relate to this ebook.
ARSENALFAN is offline  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Let me point something out here for you about proper Forum etiquette. If you're an already existing member we would welcome you with open arms. You are not! Instead you thought to yourself, hey I'm fucking awesome I turned 30 moved to the mountains for 4 months and got to live the typical douche bag snow carnie lifestyle.

In the process of 4 months of inebriation I somehow managed to document my random misadventures which are nothing special. Now after 4 months of sucking at life and being poor due to making piss poor life decisions I thought I could write a book and sell it to recoup some of my losses.

As a thirty something successful snowboard bum and writer. Your style is horrible, I read the introductory paragraph and subsequent other pages. It's pure trash. Oh look at me I was going into my 30's and had wasted my youth, I needed a change, blah blah blah I'm going to run away and find myself. News flash if you haven't found yourself in the first 25 years of your life you won't find it later on you're a lost cause and should suck on the end of a shotgun. Although in the UK that's probably a bit harder than here in the states so maybe fall off the roof of your flat onto a pile of broken glass.

Whoever said it was worth reading should join you in jumping off their roof. Stupidity encouraging stupidity should be forced to deal with Darwinism.

Oh and yes I'm a dick and it's not nice to say how crappy your book is. But I don't care if you cry out your ass cause it hurts.
Firstly I have to commend you on that post - you actually should think about putting something together and self-publishing, it was very amusing and well-constructed! Genuinely.

So the main point of your anger is directed to the fact that I only joined the forum recently and to post about my book. So does that mean if I was a 'veteran member' like you (i.e. spending more time online being an arse and slating people rather than getting out there and leading a fulfilling, worthwhile life) - your opinion of my writing would be more positive?

I certainly don't think I'm awesome for doing a season, it was just the right thing to do at the time and the book serves to provide an insight in to the workings of the chalet host role to those who might be considering doing it or those who have been on catered chalet holidays. There are no other books like this available so I figured when not have a punt at being the first. If you're not keen having read the preview, no worries. Move on.

Let's be clear though, I don't believe I have wasted my youth or that I have made 'piss poor' life decisions and am seeking to recoup any losses. I am currently sitting in my office just outside Melbourne, Australia looking out at a beautiful summer's day having spent my Christmas mainly on the beach so I'm pretty happy with my life decisions. I didn't need to write the book for any reason, I just wanted to as I've always fancied leaving a bit of a legacy behind (other than just the memory of me being a dick to those I was a dick to). I'm guessing you are someone who, given all of the vitriol you're spouting, is also struggling with finding himself in this world but at least you have carved out a niche as a miserable sod who derives joy from trying to bring down others. Be sure to put that on the resume!

I'm more than fine with people not wanting to buy or read the book, and I'm more than fine with constructive criticism but, if you don't mind, I might just discount yours as the ramblings of a socially inept and troubled man!

Hope you have an awesome season though, sunshine, keep spreading that joy!

Last edited by ChaletBoy1980; 12-26-2012 at 07:39 PM.
ChaletBoy1980 is offline  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
TorpedoVegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 393
Default

I love BA...he makes me feel better about myself as a person, and that's quite hard to do cause I'm a complete bastard myself.
TorpedoVegas is offline  
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 9,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaletBoy1980 View Post
Firstly I have to commend you on that post - you actually should think about putting something together and self-publishing, it was very amusing and well-constructed! Genuinely.

So the main point of your anger is directed to the fact that I only joined the forum recently and to post about my book. So does that mean if I was a 'veteran member' like you (i.e. spending more time online being an arse and slating people rather than getting out there and leading a fulfilling, worthwhile life) - your opinion of my writing would be more positive?

I certainly don't think I'm awesome for doing a season, it was just the right thing to do at the time and the book serves to provide an insight in to the workings of the chalet host role to those who might be considering doing it or those who have been on catered chalet holidays. There are no other books like this available so I figured when not have a punt at being the first. If you're not keen having read the preview, no worries. Move on.

Let's be clear though, I don't believe I have wasted my youth or that I have made 'piss poor' life decisions and am seeking to recoup any losses. I am currently sitting in my office just outside Melbourne, Australia looking out at a beautiful summer's day having spent my Christmas mainly on the beach so I'm pretty happy with my life decisions. I didn't need to write the book for any reason, I just wanted to as I've always fancied leaving a bit of a legacy behind (other than just the memory of me being a dick to those I was a dick to). I'm guessing you are someone who, given all of the vitriol you're spouting, is also struggling with finding himself in this world but at least you have carved out a niche as a miserable sod who derives joy from trying to bring down others. Be sure to put that on the resume!

I'm more than fine with people not wanting to buy or read the book, and I'm more than fine with constructive criticism but, if you don't mind, I might just discount yours as the ramblings of a socially inept and troubled man!

Hope you have an awesome season though, sunshine, keep spreading that joy!
Ah yes the argument that because I have a high post count I don't do anything else. It's the exact point I would expect from someone who is insulted by the fact they've been mocked for coming on a site and offering nothing to the people other than their shitty ware, which just so happens to be a horribly written book about quitting ones complacent life to travel down the road less traveled in hopes of finding themselves. I love that your assumption of me lies solely in me mocking you for writing like crap and promoting a shitty book.

Now I'll point out that I've published numerous articles in magazines, written my fair share of product catalogs, and still managed to live year round in the mountains riding more days in a month than you probably clocked in the 4 you were a Chalet Boy. Also as your book is a bore I should probably point people to Chalet Girl which at least has some eye candy to look at and will undoubtedly be far more compelling than the quest for a 30 year old to find ones self.

On the topic of ones legacy. I'm positive if you died today no one would notice outside your immediate family and circle of friends. I on the other hand would be a different story.

Now the real topic at hand regardless of how you decide to sway it off topic is that after 4 posts we've learned you can't write, get offended that people are not open to someone who poses to give nothing to a community, and has failed at finding themselves. Unless of course pissing your life away for a third of it in a drunken state is what you had in mind.

Without even bothering to read your book I can assume it has all the stereotypical cliches every snow carnie encounters on their one season of mountains, babes, booze, and adventure. There's love, lust, drunken antics, and some anal fisting by legions of lesbians. Also there's probably some weak message about finding yourself and happiness with the balance of life.

I await your half-assed retort which will just further assert to me that this is your lame grab at trying to get 3 dollars from the Kindle users out there who more than likely will find disappointment in your eBook.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is online now  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
grafta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaletBoy1980 View Post
I am currently sitting in my office just outside Melbourne, Australia looking out at a beautiful summer's day...
Oh god you're an Australian?
grafta is offline  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Ah yes the argument that because I have a high post count I don't do anything else. It's the exact point I would expect from someone who is insulted by the fact they've been mocked for coming on a site and offering nothing to the people other than their shitty ware, which just so happens to be a horribly written book about quitting ones complacent life to travel down the road less traveled in hopes of finding themselves. I love that your assumption of me lies solely in me mocking you for writing like crap and promoting a shitty book.

Now I'll point out that I've published numerous articles in magazines, written my fair share of product catalogs, and still managed to live year round in the mountains riding more days in a month than you probably clocked in the 4 you were a Chalet Boy. Also as your book is a bore I should probably point people to Chalet Girl which at least has some eye candy to look at and will undoubtedly be far more compelling than the quest for a 30 year old to find ones self.

On the topic of ones legacy. I'm positive if you died today no one would notice outside your immediate family and circle of friends. I on the other hand would be a different story.

Now the real topic at hand regardless of how you decide to sway it off topic is that after 4 posts we've learned you can't write, get offended that people are not open to someone who poses to give nothing to a community, and has failed at finding themselves. Unless of course pissing your life away for a third of it in a drunken state is what you had in mind.

Without even bothering to read your book I can assume it has all the stereotypical cliches every snow carnie encounters on their one season of mountains, babes, booze, and adventure. There's love, lust, drunken antics, and some anal fisting by legions of lesbians. Also there's probably some weak message about finding yourself and happiness with the balance of life.

I await your half-assed retort which will just further assert to me that this is your lame grab at trying to get 3 dollars from the Kindle users out there who more than likely will find disappointment in your eBook.
Lol - no half-assed retort given that you're slamming me for having written a boring and awful book but one that you haven't even read. Surely as an author yourself you realise how much that discredits your argument.

Get back in your box...
ChaletBoy1980 is offline  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
Oh god you're an Australian?
Lol - nope not Australian, just here working for a while in order to gain some international work experience and further broaden my horizons.

I hate the idea of spending my entire life in one place so always looking for the next opportunity to work and experience living in a new place. Am actually from the UK originally.
ChaletBoy1980 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
alps, chalet, ski, snowboarding

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums