New ebook about the life of a chalet host - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 11,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaletBoy1980 View Post
Lol - no half-assed retort given that you're slamming me for having written a boring and awful book but one that you haven't even read. Surely as an author yourself you realise how much that discredits your argument.

Get back in your box...
Someone is still upset that I shit on their highly predictable tale of mans self discovery in the alps and that they bring nothing to this forum or community.

Sucks to suck.

Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not upset in the least - I've loved talking more about my book and the sales have been going up the entire time you've spent trying to slam it. Any publicity is good publicity in my eyes so thanks.

Like I say, if you'd read it and could speak with any sort of credibility then fair enough I'd be upset with your damning appraisal but, given the hypocritical slamming of me for my small number of postings when you've only read one or two preview pages, it doesn't really hold an awful lot of weight.
ChaletBoy1980 is offline  
post #23 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
 
grafta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaletBoy1980 View Post
Lol - nope not Australian, just here working for a while in order to gain some international work experience and further broaden my horizons.

I hate the idea of spending my entire life in one place so always looking for the next opportunity to work and experience living in a new place. Am actually from the UK originally.
Haha, all good. Yeah, Australians have a 'reputation' is all... at least in this part of the world
grafta is offline  
post #24 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 11,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaletBoy1980 View Post
I'm not upset in the least - I've loved talking more about my book and the sales have been going up the entire time you've spent trying to slam it. Any publicity is good publicity in my eyes so thanks.

Like I say, if you'd read it and could speak with any sort of credibility then fair enough I'd be upset with your damning appraisal but, given the hypocritical slamming of me for my small number of postings when you've only read one or two preview pages, it doesn't really hold an awful lot of weight.
Time is a luxury I don't have to devote to reading crap anymore. As it's predictable and I'm sure seeing 2 people buy your book is a huge spike sir. Enjoy that 6 dollars maybe it'll get you a 2 weeks supply of Ramen the next time you decide to go on holiday and throw caution to the wind.

Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline  
post #25 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You don't have time to read crap because you're too busy writing it?
ChaletBoy1980 is offline  
post #26 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well this escalated quickly.

To original poster: Posting links to your own products on your first post on any forum is going to get you some hate.

Even if your story was good (I have no idea - personally I'd go rather read Tucker Max if I wanted amusing stories of guys being guys), it's a crappy way to market that's going to annoy people.

You talk about sales going up, but spamming forums with your first post is incredibly short sighted. If you really wanted to market your book the right way I'd suggest you contribute to forums before advertising your book.

I'd also suggest you not get into fights with people who flame you for advertising your book with your first post.

Firstly, you came here spamming your product with your first post instead of contributing, so some anger is justified.

Secondly, I wouldn't pick fights with writers of big snowboard blogs, especially when you came HERE spamming your ebook first.

What happens if he writes a blog flaming you using your real name and every time a future employer googles your name his post comes up on page 1.

Do you think employers are going to sift through the flaming to find out what's real or just move on to the next candidate because they don't want to be involved in drama?

I repeat. You. Came. Here. Don't expect love when spamming forums is your tactic for getting people to buy your book.

I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline  
post #27 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice dude, I am not in any way worried about future employers seeing what this idiot has to say!

I'm just a dude who wrote a book about something we all enjoy, boarding holidays, and thought I'd try and get it in front of the right people who might be interested in it. If people want to visit the link after reading my post then so be it and if they don't then no worries. There's no need for such an extreme reaction to some words on a screen when there are clearly bigger problems in the world.

If the mods want to take it down as spamming then fair do's but as yet they haven't so clearly its not that bad.

I never picked a fight with anyone, I merely responded to the salient points in each post - choosing to ignore the extremely unnecessary comments about killing myself. Are you suggesting that that sort of language is fair and justified?
ChaletBoy1980 is offline  
post #28 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 AM
Jed
Veteran Member
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whistler, BC
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You work in marketing and you're surprised by the extreme reaction when you try to sell people using your first forum post?

I don't know what marketing you do, but doing the same as 500 other people who come into popular snowboard forums asking people to buy their product with their first post is not how to do smart marketing.

I teach snowboarding via step-by-step videos lessons at Snomie.com - How To Snowboard Videos, Snowboard Tips & Snowboard Lessons
Jed is offline  
post #29 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
You work in marketing and you're surprised by the extreme reaction when you try to sell people using your first forum post?

I don't know what marketing you do, but doing the same as 500 other people who come into popular snowboard forums asking people to buy their product with their first post is not how to do smart marketing.
I can maybe understand the odd bit of displeasure but telling me to kill myself is a little bit much surely?!?!

I do the sort of marketing which has budgets to reach a large audience, something which I don't have for the book so was just trying to use the various mediums I had at my disposal!
ChaletBoy1980 is offline  
post #30 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 5,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Ah yes the argument that because I have a high post count I don't do anything else. It's the exact point I would expect from someone who is insulted by the fact they've been mocked for coming on a site and offering nothing to the people other than their shitty ware, which just so happens to be a horribly written book about quitting ones complacent life to travel down the road less traveled in hopes of finding themselves. I love that your assumption of me lies solely in me mocking you for writing like crap and promoting a shitty book.

Now I'll point out that I've published numerous articles in magazines, written my fair share of product catalogs, and still managed to live year round in the mountains riding more days in a month than you probably clocked in the 4 you were a Chalet Boy. Also as your book is a bore I should probably point people to Chalet Girl which at least has some eye candy to look at and will undoubtedly be far more compelling than the quest for a 30 year old to find ones self.

On the topic of ones legacy. I'm positive if you died today no one would notice outside your immediate family and circle of friends. I on the other hand would be a different story.

Now the real topic at hand regardless of how you decide to sway it off topic is that after 4 posts we've learned you can't write, get offended that people are not open to someone who poses to give nothing to a community, and has failed at finding themselves. Unless of course pissing your life away for a third of it in a drunken state is what you had in mind.

Without even bothering to read your book I can assume it has all the stereotypical cliches every snow carnie encounters on their one season of mountains, babes, booze, and adventure. There's love, lust, drunken antics, and some anal fisting by legions of lesbians. Also there's probably some weak message about finding yourself and happiness with the balance of life.

I await your half-assed retort which will just further assert to me that this is your lame grab at trying to get 3 dollars from the Kindle users out there who more than likely will find disappointment in your eBook.
hahahahah

Sounds like we ought to have a book club or a writers circle.

I've been sitting on a book for years...well maybe a blog (has nothing to do with boarding)....if I ever do it, I will post it up for a critical review/feedback of my esteeemed peers.
wrathfuldeity is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
alps, chalet, ski, snowboarding

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome