Protip: When you volunteer to drive, dont be a douche - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,561
Blog Entries: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV82 View Post
I'm not going to lie, I'm guilty. I don't see how texting/talking/eating while driving is so complicated and confounding to the general public. I mean they are bad habits and all but it's just not that hard to pay attention to the road.

Drugs don't make people stupid, people are stupid.
Devices don't make people bad drivers, they are bad drivers.

I'm prepared to get flamed.
Have a good day.
I don't doubt there are drivers who are capable of doing all of those things while driving, and still being safer than most drivers. There are drivers who can drive 50% over the speed limit and are still safer than most. I know because I'm one of them

But you don't make the laws for those people. You make the laws for the ones who can't handle two things at once. And the problem is EVERYONE thinks they're a member of the first group, not the second.

Let's face it, all laws discriminate against the people for whom those laws aren't necessary. But all laws are made for the clubheads who can't handle a three-dimensional universe filled with more than 4 things.
__________________

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post


I don't doubt there are drivers who are capable of doing all of those things while driving, and still being safer than most drivers. There are drivers who can drive 50% over the speed limit and are still safer than most. I know because I'm one of them

But you don't make the laws for those people. You make the laws for the ones who can't handle two things at once. And the problem is EVERYONE thinks they're a member of the first group, not the second.

Let's face it, all laws discriminate against the people for whom those laws aren't necessary. But all laws are made for the clubheads who can't handle a three-dimensional universe filled with more than 4 things.

I hear that. A lot of the rules of the road are there for people who just dont have a clue on how to actually drive. I'd rather have a cop pull those dumb shits over then get into an accident with someone who thought they were better then everyone else.

If someone actually said to you, 'dude, you're making me nervous and uncomfortable in your car' would you consider chilling out on that?

When I drive, I want people to be comfy in my car... if I'm driving aggressively and they're freaking out, I'll slow down. If I'm switching lanes, I'll chill out.
gakbar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
MarshallV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakbar22 View Post
I hear that. A lot of the rules of the road are there for people who just dont have a clue on how to actually drive. I'd rather have a cop pull those dumb shits over then get into an accident with someone who thought they were better then everyone else.

If someone actually said to you, 'dude, you're making me nervous and uncomfortable in your car' would you consider chilling out on that?

When I drive, I want people to be comfy in my car... if I'm driving aggressively and they're freaking out, I'll slow down. If I'm switching lanes, I'll chill out.
I can agree with that. The main reason I never ride up to mountains with my one buddy is because he's a terrible driver. I love the guy but the silly bastard can't drive worth a shit. He never texts or talks and is frozen to wheel even when the roads are good. I've made him pull over and let one of us drive before. He's been in like 4 minor wrecks in the two years I've known him and is terribly nervous about driving.
My other buddy drinks, eats, loads and smokes a bowl, has been known to send texts when the road conditions/traffic allow. I feel totally safe riding with him! I typically drive myself since they only go on weekends though.
MarshallV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post


I don't doubt there are drivers who are capable of doing all of those things while driving, and still being safer than most drivers. There are drivers who can drive 50% over the speed limit and are still safer than most. I know because I'm one of them

But you don't make the laws for those people. You make the laws for the ones who can't handle two things at once. And the problem is EVERYONE thinks they're a member of the first group, not the second.

Let's face it, all laws discriminate against the people for whom those laws aren't necessary. But all laws are made for the clubheads who can't handle a three-dimensional universe filled with more than 4 things.
word +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakbar22 View Post
If someone actually said to you, 'dude, you're making me nervous and uncomfortable in your car' would you consider chilling out on that?

When I drive, I want people to be comfy in my car... if I'm driving aggressively and they're freaking out, I'll slow down. If I'm switching lanes, I'll chill out.
I'm not a good passenger at all and won't tolerate someone driving me around like an asshole one bit. Disrespectful. Even with the physical ability to text and drive, the immaturity and bad karma will lead that fool to tickets and accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV82 View Post
I can agree with that. The main reason I never ride up to mountains with my one buddy is because he's a terrible driver. I love the guy but the silly bastard can't drive worth a shit. He never texts or talks and is frozen to wheel even when the roads are good. I've made him pull over and let one of us drive before. He's been in like 4 minor wrecks in the two years I've known him and is terribly nervous about driving.
My other buddy drinks, eats, loads and smokes a bowl, has been known to send texts when the road conditions/traffic allow. I feel totally safe riding with him! I typically drive myself since they only go on weekends though.
Good thread gone gooder. QFT
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
AIRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 653
Default

A quick text doesn't bother me, but if someone's having a full on conversation and is all over the road, you'll get an ear full. Same goes with drinking and driving.
__________________
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
AIRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Earlier this summer I was on my way to a mountain biking meet up. I was texting and negligently drove through a 4-way stop. I almost hit some granny and she shot me the finger. I deserved it. I was so fortunate nothing happened but I no longer text and drive. I use to think after doing it all these years, I was a pro. I was stupid and arrogant. If it's that important, what's so hard about pulling over for a minute to be done with it?
raven159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ny
Posts: 143
Default

For those of you who proudly text and drive.

Please have your deadly car crash prior to procreating so that Darwinism can run its course and you do not spawn more retards.
pencap75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
ThunderChunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissing Bridge
Posts: 1,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencap75 View Post
For those of you who proudly text and drive.

Please have your deadly car crash prior to procreating so that Darwinism can run its course and you do not spawn more retards.
I raced at speeds double the speed on the roads and dodged cars flipping and catching on fire next to me........while taking my eyes of the track to watch the flags and times I was running. You really think driving 30 and sending "K" to someone is a task that will render me dead? If that's the case there shouldn't be passenger seats in cars, radios, cup holders, or mirrors. All of those take your focus off the road.

Think before you speak.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hipp4u View Post
Im all for having fun, showing your tits and getting fucked up on a river float but it can be done without being a pig.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Lewis, WA
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
I raced at speeds double the speed on the roads and dodged cars flipping and catching on fire next to me........while taking my eyes of the track to watch the flags and times I was running. You really think driving 30 and sending "K" to someone is a task that will render me dead? If that's the case there shouldn't be passenger seats in cars, radios, cup holders, or mirrors. All of those take your focus off the road.

Think before you speak.


HAHAHA That is the exact mentality this thread is talking about. Superman of the fucking road!

I have driven through the Horn of fucking Panjwai, every day for a year! Bullets flying, IEDs exploding, rockets just missing my truck... I made it home through all that shit. Think I am gonna let a txt msg kill me? FUCK NO!
__________________
_____,---|'o'......................I_
l l'---"'---BRANDON---;==;;;;;;;;;;;;I=+==
|'"```/_/-'`|__|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
redecocav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Lewis, WA
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
The laws are pointless because they are virtually unenforceable. In the state of Washington, we have had laws banning non hands free cell phone use and texting for several years. No one follows the law! I see people jabbering away all over. I see them in traffic next to police cars doing it. The cops have more important things to do than deal with it.

People are shitting themselves over texting meanwhile they are fucking around with their Tomtom to get step by step directions to the mall. I cannot count the number of times each week I see people watching a fucking movie while driving. Then there are the book readers and the women doing their hair and makeup in traffic.
I actually saw a woman pull over to fix her makeup here in Tacoma... Granted she cut me off to get over LOL
__________________
_____,---|'o'......................I_
l l'---"'---BRANDON---;==;;;;;;;;;;;;I=+==
|'"```/_/-'`|__|''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
redecocav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums