Ptex problems - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
StrattonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wall, NJ and Stratton, VT
Posts: 198
Exclamation Ptex problems

in the fall i posted a thread asking what i should do with my board that was badly damaged.

I got it fixed and it looked really good. I now have 15 days on the board and like 10 of those days i had to drip ptex into the base weld that fell out. Are there any other suggestions for what to do? I dont have the money for a new board.

This was a picture of before i got it fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg board.jpg (58.4 KB, 194 views)
StrattonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 4,161
Default

did the guy de-wax and clean the area around wound,....is it falling out back to the bottom of the wound, did he seal it with some epoxy?

I'd suggest starting over...de-wax and clean the wound...all the way to the bottom. the roughen up the bottom and put a bit of epoxy to make sure it is sealed up...let dry.

The again roughen or hash up the dried epoxy and the ptex surrounding the wound...perhaps use a sharp wood chisel. This is because it will create a mechanical bond...like a lock and key.

Then when preparing to ptex...first briefly heat/warm up the wound with a propane torch. Followed up with flowing in the ptex....it might take a couple times to fill it in...but warm up the base around the wound.

After its filled in but still slightly warm, with a very sharp wood chisel....cut or shave it flat. Then let it cool down.

After its cooled down, again roughen up the repaired wound with some 80 grit sand paper....then clean it and get any grit out/off.

Lastly wax, scrape and buff.

At least thats generally what I do and it holds.
__________________
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
StrattonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wall, NJ and Stratton, VT
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
did the guy de-wax and clean the area around wound,....is it falling out back to the bottom of the wound, did he seal it with some epoxy?

I'd suggest starting over...de-wax and clean the wound...all the way to the bottom. the roughen up the bottom and put a bit of epoxy to make sure it is sealed up...let dry.

The again roughen or hash up the dried epoxy and the ptex surrounding the wound...perhaps use a sharp wood chisel. This is because it will create a mechanical bond...like a lock and key.

Then when preparing to ptex...first briefly heat/warm up the wound with a propane torch. Followed up with flowing in the ptex....it might take a couple times to fill it in...but warm up the base around the wound.

After its filled in but still slightly warm, with a very sharp wood chisel....cut or shave it flat. Then let it cool down.

After its cooled down, again roughen up the repaired wound with some 80 grit sand paper....then clean it and get any grit out/off.

Lastly wax, scrape and buff.

At least thats generally what I do and it holds.
It isnt that big now, but you can see the core and then it widens out. I will try that and see how it holds up. i wont be going again until next weekend
StrattonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 4,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrattonRider View Post
It isnt that big now, but you can see the core and then it widens out. I will try that and see how it holds up. i wont be going again until next weekend
you could try to under cut the edge so it locks in. but does it fall out to the core...can you see bare metal of the edge insert? if you can, the guy did a shitty job and thus perhaps tear it out and start over with the above....it can be done easily so you can ride next weekend
__________________
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
StrattonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wall, NJ and Stratton, VT
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
you could try to under cut the edge so it locks in. but does it fall out to the core...can you see bare metal of the edge insert? if you can, the guy did a shitty job and thus perhaps tear it out and start over with the above....it can be done easily so you can ride next weekend
you cant see the inserts of the edge but you can see like a screw head of the core each time. the same piece falls out so i will try what you said
StrattonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
StrattonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wall, NJ and Stratton, VT
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
did the guy de-wax and clean the area around wound,....is it falling out back to the bottom of the wound, did he seal it with some epoxy?

I'd suggest starting over...de-wax and clean the wound...all the way to the bottom. the roughen up the bottom and put a bit of epoxy to make sure it is sealed up...let dry.

The again roughen or hash up the dried epoxy and the ptex surrounding the wound...perhaps use a sharp wood chisel. This is because it will create a mechanical bond...like a lock and key.

Then when preparing to ptex...first briefly heat/warm up the wound with a propane torch. Followed up with flowing in the ptex....it might take a couple times to fill it in...but warm up the base around the wound.

After its filled in but still slightly warm, with a very sharp wood chisel....cut or shave it flat. Then let it cool down.

After its cooled down, again roughen up the repaired wound with some 80 grit sand paper....then clean it and get any grit out/off.

Lastly wax, scrape and buff.

At least thats generally what I do and it holds.
i tried what you said and it didnt work. I have know idea what to do now. I cant buy another board and my parents would buy me one untill 2 years. It really pisses me off ptexing every night i go out. I talked to the guy who "fixed" it the first time and said all he could do was cut a sections out and put i think he said a piece of metal and then p tex over it. I really dont like the sound of that. It would just make it stiff in that spot. Is there anything else i can do. It is right next to my toe side edge so whenever i edge it just tears right out
StrattonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 249
Default

If you need a new board maybe I can hook you up with a 2012 151 Rome reverb rocker, I only have like 6 days on it.
EatMyTracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrattonRider View Post
i tried what you said and it didnt work. I have know idea what to do now. I cant buy another board and my parents would buy me one untill 2 years. It really pisses me off ptexing every night i go out. I talked to the guy who "fixed" it the first time and said all he could do was cut a sections out and put i think he said a piece of metal and then p tex over it. I really dont like the sound of that. It would just make it stiff in that spot. Is there anything else i can do. It is right next to my toe side edge so whenever i edge it just tears right out
Well, it sounds like Wrath's fix should work (you possibly rushed the process.) But if it was supposed to be fixed professionally from the shop and it didn't hold, I would go down there with one of your parents (mostly because you are young and they will say whatever to get themselves out of properly fixing it because they think you are some stupid kid) and cause a big stink till they fix it properly or give you a new board.

Don't take no for an answer! Being a pain in the ass customer can go a long way sometimes.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 4,161
Default

what is the board? My daughter had a top-end park board that the die cut just lifted out and sometimes die cut bases just don't stick very well...if that is the case, try to get it warrentied...she tried and they blew her off...however they did not with me.
__________________
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
StrattonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wall, NJ and Stratton, VT
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
what is the board? My daughter had a top-end park board that the die cut just lifted out and sometimes die cut bases just don't stick very well...if that is the case, try to get it warrentied...she tried and they blew her off...however they did not with me.
the board is a 2013 GNU Pickle. What would i say to try to get it warrentied?
StrattonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums