More reasons to wear a helmet - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
lo0p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More reasons to wear a helmet

Helmets for Ski and Snowboard Safety - NYTimes.com

.lo0p
lo0p is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Treegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"But wearing a helmet did not increase people’s speed, as would be expected if the headgear encouraged risk taking. Cautious people were slower than risk-takers, whether they wore helmets or not; and risk-takers were fast, whether their heads were helmeted or bare."

There is the important part of the argument and why:

"In addition, many worried that if they wore helmets, less-adept skiers and snowboarders might do likewise, feel invulnerable and engage in riskier behavior on the slopes."

has always seemed like the dumbest reason for not encouraging helmet use. The rest of the article basically proves that wearing a helmet doesn't change reaction time or vision compared to not wearing a helmet which is another old and tired argument. The only argument I find to be legit are from people who basically grew up not wearing a helmet and find them uncomfortable.

Last edited by Treegreen; 01-30-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Treegreen is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
mhaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
blah blah woof woof. Im so sick of this debate.We get it. Head trauma is bad. Wear a fucking helmet if you are worried about hitting your head. If you dont think your riding style and ability puts your head in imminent danger, dont wear one. End of story. Why does this have to be a cultural thing?
mhaas is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wear a helmet most of the time these days but I disagree with the 'darwin award' comments for people that dont. I mean youre probably more likely to have a head injury from a car accident in your life but you dont see people wearing helmets for that.

Last edited by seant46; 01-30-2013 at 04:21 PM.
seant46 is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
lo0p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaas View Post
blah blah woof woof. Im so sick of this debate.We get it. Head trauma is bad. Wear a fucking helmet if you are worried about hitting your head. If you dont think your riding style and ability puts your head in imminent danger, dont wear one. End of story. Why does this have to be a cultural thing?
I posted this because the studies debunk some common misconceptions and beliefs and I thought that was interesting.

As for your head, it's yours and you can do what you want with it. I'm not your mom

.lo0p
lo0p is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Ttam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Big Bear
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaas View Post
blah blah woof woof. Im so sick of this debate.We get it. Head trauma is bad. Wear a fucking helmet if you are worried about hitting your head. If you dont think your riding style and ability puts your head in imminent danger, dont wear one. End of story. Why does this have to be a cultural thing?
I didnt even read the article.. They are always the same.. But A FUCKN MEN to this guy ^
Ttam is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Treegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttam View Post
I didnt even read the article.. They are always the same.. But A FUCKN MEN to this guy ^
Ignorance is bliss, I see?
Treegreen is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Varza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttam View Post
I didnt even read the article.. They are always the same.. But A FUCKN MEN to this guy ^
Actually the article presents some findings from scientific studies supporting the use of helmets. It seemed pretty neutral to me, but meh, it's just a newspaper. I'd be interested in reading the actual papers.

I don't care either way if people choose to wear helmets or not. You're right, it's a tiring, pointless debate. Kinda like religion and politics. But science - it works, bitches! :P
Varza is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
I wear a helmet most of the time these days but I disagree with the 'darwin award' comments for people that dont. I mean youre probably more likely to have a head injury from a car accident in your life but you dont see people wearing helmets for that.
No, they wear seat belts that the government has to mandate people to use to save the negligent from maiming or killing themselves. Personally, I don't have much empathy when people get injured or killed for not wearing a seatbelt (or a helmet during snowboarding for that matter). I do however understand why people want to intervene and force the safety issue, as it's our tax dollars and insurance premiums that help offset the cost of this negligence.
skunkworks_ is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks_ View Post
No, they wear seat belts that the government has to mandate people to use to save the negligent from maiming or killing themselves. Personally, I don't have much empathy when people get injured or killed for not wearing a seatbelt (or a helmet during snowboarding for that matter). I do however understand why people want to intervene and force the safety issue, as it's our tax dollars and insurance premiums that help offset the cost of this negligence.
I know about seat belts. Can you explain how they protect head trauma in a crash??? ex: head hitting side window?

Wearing a helmet should be a personal choice. (Im talking about snowboarding here..)

Last edited by seant46; 01-30-2013 at 07:04 PM.
seant46 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome