Stance Width, What's yours? - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteady View Post
Looks like 23.5 seems to be a very popular stance...
I think this might make it a good standard place for people to start experimenting what the best width for them on a new board is. It doesn't seem to have much to do with height and weight or board size, that's for sure
Actually that seems wide to me. Reference stance on most boards is a good place to start.

For example the Burton Custom in 151-156 sizes uses 530 mm or 20.86" as reference stance width, and from 158 to 169 they use 560 mm or 22" as reference.

Not saying it's impossible to ride with a wider stance, tons of guys do it but I wouldn't say 23.5 is a good middle starting ground.

Here's a site with what they say are pro riders stances. Granted the data is over 10 years old, but the human body has not evolved in 10 years. The average stance may be 1" wider than it was then, I just don't think it's gone a full 3" wider. Snowboard Stance
poutanen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
 
BoardWalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
I didn't really put a ton of thought into selecting my width. I closed my eyes, hopped onto the board and landed in my natural athletic stance
BoardWalk is offline  
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Incline Village NV
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

I didn't really put a ton of thought into selecting my width. I closed my eyes, hopped onto the board and landed in my natural athletic stance and measured it. It happened to be 23 inches. I've gone to 24 but it just isn't comfortable.[/QUOTE]

I honestly believe that is the best way to do it...It's funny, ive been messing with my stance since 2001 and if I just remove the bindings and jump on a board like its a big skate board that I'm about to have to charge a big steap on, my feet naturally go where I've finally decided is best after endless expiramenting and figuring out how to put them for 13 years.
RockSteady is offline  
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Incline Village NV
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Actually that seems wide to me. Reference stance on most boards is a good place to start.

For example the Burton Custom in 151-156 sizes uses 530 mm or 20.86" as reference stance width, and from 158 to 169 they use 560 mm or 22" as reference.

Not saying it's impossible to ride with a wider stance, tons of guys do it but I wouldn't say 23.5 is a good middle starting ground.

Here's a site with what they say are pro riders stances. Granted the data is over 10 years old, but the human body has not evolved in 10 years. The average stance may be 1" wider than it was then, I just don't think it's gone a full 3" wider. Snowboard Stance
I hear yah
But I defn think most riders ride wider than the reference stance. I also think you would be surprised how much wider stances have gotten in ten years... I'd be willing to bet on avg more than an inch. Watch the videos from 10 years ago and watch the ones now...almost everyone has a nice solid wide stance now, back then Pro's looked funny sometimes doing tricks cause there stance was narrow

Last edited by RockSteady; 01-31-2013 at 12:17 PM.
RockSteady is offline  
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
 
BoardWalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
but the human body has not evolved in 10 years
Tell that to my wife...
BoardWalk is offline  
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
triumph.man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteady View Post
I know I could careless. Stances as well as the sport are evolving every year. I wanted to get a pulse on where everyones preferred width was now, not 6 months ago not a year ago. There are always gonna be repeat threads, it shouldn't bother you. I don't need your input especially, just leave the thread alone and go spread your old man negitivitey some where else.
dude, you bring such a bad attitude to this forum, and bad vibes. Every thread you need to have a snarky comment about something.:thu mbsdown:
triumph.man is offline  
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Incline Village NV
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph.man View Post
dude, you bring such a bad attitude to this forum, and bad vibes. Every thread you need to have a snarky comment about something.:thu mbsdown:
Why don't you show the quote I was commenting on...stories look good when only your favorite side of it is exposed. lol, 99.9% of the threads ive commented on have been in nothing but a positive and helpful light. I've had a lot of positive experiences with members on these forums already and a lot of people have been grateful for my input as well as me theirs. I have never brought any negativity only responded to it....but thanks for your input all knowing wizard one! You should move to South Lake Tahoe, you'd fit in perfect with the their mountain ego---- So Sorry for the bad vibes today though brooooo.

Last edited by RockSteady; 01-31-2013 at 01:14 PM.
RockSteady is offline  
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,447
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteady View Post
But I defn think most riders ride wider than the reference stance. I also think you would be surprised how much wider stances have gotten in ten years... I'd be willing to bet on avg more than an inch. Watch the videos from 10 years ago and watch the ones now...almost everyone has a nice solid wide stance now, back then Pro's looked funny sometimes doing tricks cause there stance was narrow
I think it's probably hard to tell from videos. I know when I started I was riding a 19.5" stance or so, and moved out to about 21" a few years ago.

There is such a thing as too wide, and I guess my point is 23.5" might not be the best starting point for the average new snowboarder. As a noob it could take that clumsy feeling and amplify it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardWalk View Post
Tell that to my wife...
I didn't say HER body hadn't changed in 10 years!
poutanen is offline  
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stance width is 19"

I'm 5'6", 160, riding a 2012 custom x 156

It's only the second board I've ever owned and I've been riding for about 9 years now. It took me some time to figure it out but the ref stance on the board is 20" or 21". When I rode at ref it felt like I was fighting the nose of the board trying to transition to my toe side.

I wound up movingnthe front foot to ref and back foot -2" to compensate for the setback. It's prob not ideal but its a lot more comfy that way. I found my confidence last time I was out and def felt like Ihad a lot more control.

That's what I get for buying a board w/o demoing it first but holy cow is it fast!
gakbar22 is offline  
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakbar22 View Post
Stance width is 19"

I'm 5'6", 160, riding a 2012 custom x 156

It's only the second board I've ever owned and I've been riding for about 9 years now. It took me some time to figure it out but the ref stance on the board is 20" or 21". When I rode at ref it felt like I was fighting the nose of the board trying to transition to my toe side.

I wound up movingnthe front foot to ref and back foot -2" to compensate for the setback. It's prob not ideal but its a lot more comfy that way. I found my confidence last time I was out and def felt like Ihad a lot more control.

That's what I get for buying a board w/o demoing it first but holy cow is it fast!
Hmm.. I'm 5'4", 150, and heard I should stay around 20".. I don't look wide at all (151cm).. but I kinda want to pull the front foot back an inch. My knees feel slightly cocked. Will that throw me off for learning switch if my bindings aren't centered?

Last edited by kberkel; 02-02-2013 at 12:50 AM.
kberkel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome