Want to live/work in a resort. Looking for advice! - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 3,816
Default

Two of my kids have been baked carnies, rental shop and instructor. There are some benefits, like pre and after hours riding/shennagians, moon light, first track and bc poaching, getting to know the real stashes, nothing like riding with some badasses and pros to improve your skills.
__________________
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteady View Post
Your right on the money, working and riding sux, I like to go off when I ride, which doesn't put you in good shape to work afterwards. I'm ready for the hot tub and bong...I just save my money in the summer, live as cheap as possible, work hard and then I just snowboard and smoke herb and live like a king in the winter. I tried the whole night work thing for a while but just didn't get the quality riding I was looking for.

PS
WORK SUX BALLS
Why that sounds like a splendid idea my good chum!
mikemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Two of my kids have been baked carnies, rental shop and instructor. There are some benefits, like pre and after hours riding/shennagians, moon light, first track and bc poaching, getting to know the real stashes, nothing like riding with some badasses and pros to improve your skills.
Yeah thats what I was thinking, I figured the work/pay would suck and obviously not be extremely mentally stimulating but the people & environment you're around could provide a serious boost to my riding game
mikemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Incline Village NV
Posts: 195
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemon View Post
Yeah thats what I was thinking, I figured the work/pay would suck and obviously not be extremely mentally stimulating but the people & environment you're around could provide a serious boost to my riding game
You are off-- Most of the people who work at resorts suck at riding and are beginner intermediate riders unless your talking about a good Park Staff, even most instructors suck (although they'll tell you different). Good riders are not gonna work for minimum wage at a Nazi ski resort 5 days a week. And what happens when you want to go out of bounds or haul ass, ur not just gonna get chased your gonna get fired, fuck that-- That does not = good riding or money or peace of mind. Working at a resort is good for making some friends if your the type of person who needs a job to make friends in a new place and a free pass, that really it...not my thing, resorts get a constant supply of new idiots with dreams that working at a ski resort = a lot of boarding and fun to take advantage of each year.
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 3,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteady View Post
You are off-- Most of the people who work at resorts suck at riding and are beginner intermediate riders unless your talking about a good Park Staff, even most instructors suck (although they'll tell you different). Good riders are not gonna work for minimum wage at a Nazi ski resort 5 days a week. And what happens when you want to go out of bounds or haul ass, ur not just gonna get chased your gonna get fired, fuck that-- That does not = good riding or money or peace of mind. Working at a resort is good for making some friends if your the type of person who needs a job to make friends in a new place and a free pass, that really it...not my thing, resorts get a constant supply of new idiots with dreams that working at a ski resort = a lot of boarding and fun to take advantage of each year.
while this is true, not all folks that work the hill are beginners...at least here...there are some monster s. I would guarentee that if you spend a season working here, you will improve.
__________________

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 02-01-2013 at 11:08 AM.
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,839
Default

to the OP, fwiw, I am a cook and love going to work after a day of shredding.

It gives me 5-6 days a week to ride, allows me to make more than minimum wage, not be owned by the resort, and it is an occupation that is always going off in resort towns.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 02-01-2013 at 11:23 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Incline Village NV
Posts: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
while this is true, not all folks that work the hill are beginners...at least here...there are some monster s. I would guarentee that if you spend a season working here, you will improve.
What mountain are you talkin about, if your talkin about Whistler or some shit, I'm not talking about the exceptions, I'm talking about the majority of resorts. Also I specifically said most people at resorts suck, there is always a few random badasses but they rarely work at a resort for season or two before they move on.

The best jobs around the resort on avg are gonna be a server or bartender....low almost part time hours and at some of these commercial resorts your walkin with hundreds in tips every night....I'm gonna take that over a lame ass day time resort job. I worked at Hard Rock Café in Tahoe and I was working 20-25 hours and making over 600$ a week

Last edited by RockSteady; 02-01-2013 at 11:20 AM.
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Resident poet
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 3,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteady View Post
What mountain are you talkin about, if your talkin about Whistler or some shit, I'm not talking about the exceptions, I'm talking about the majority of resorts. Also I specifically said most people at resorts suck, there is always a few random badasses but they rarely work at a resort for season or two before they move on.

The best jobs around the resort on avg are gonna be a server or bartender....low almost part time hours and at some of these commercial resorts your walkin with hundreds in tips every night....I'm gonna take that over a lame ass day time resort job. I worked at Hard Rock Café in Tahoe and I was working 20-25 hours and making over 600$ a week
Baker.....
__________________
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Incline Village NV
Posts: 195
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Baker.....
Yeah, I could see how working at the mountain at a spot like Baker might be one of the only options to work and ride...and there are obviously gonna be some good boarders working a mountain like that. Not the most touristy mountain.
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vail, CO
Posts: 3,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteady View Post
What mountain are you talkin about, if your talkin about Whistler or some shit, I'm not talking about the exceptions, I'm talking about the majority of resorts. Also I specifically said most people at resorts suck, there is always a few random badasses but they rarely work at a resort for season or two before they move on.

The best jobs around the resort on avg are gonna be a server or bartender....low almost part time hours and at some of these commercial resorts your walkin with hundreds in tips every night....I'm gonna take that over a lame ass day time resort job. I worked at Hard Rock Café in Tahoe and I was working 20-25 hours and making over 600$ a week
Good riders are the norm for the people I know that work for the resort here. There are bad ass riders/skiers too. I work 5 days a week 3-11 and ride 6-7 days a week 830-2.... Sometimes I leave at 1 to take a shower and eat. People who live and work here that WANT to be on the mountain, are on the mountain a lot. Snow carnies or not.

I do agree that I would rather work outside the resorts reaches in the evening. I would not give up living in the resort town though. Fuck driving 2 hours when you wanna ride....
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums