Another base repair question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brucew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ice Central
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another base repair question

I'm trying to repair a small core shot with some of this stuff.
P-TEX BASE MATERIAL

I sanded the bottom out a little bit then put some marine epoxy in and clamped the small ptex piece for 24 hours. Today I went to wax the board and when I was done i noticed the bottom part of the repair was already coming loose. I'm guessing I'll just have to pop the whole thing out and try again but I'm wondering if I should make the bottom section of the gouge a little wider so the repair piece is in contact with more epoxy since its so skinny and shallow.




heres some pics (they didn't have black material)





brucew. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
chronicsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I fixed a few gouges with the P-Tex candels on my rome GR (extruded base) with good sucess.. Not sure how it'd work on a core shot on a sintered base of the Flow Infinite.. I'd give that a go maybe? I'm tuned in to see what others say
chronicsmoke is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brucew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ice Central
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicsmoke View Post
I fixed a few gouges with the P-Tex candels on my rome GR (extruded base) with good sucess.. Not sure how it'd work on a core shot on a sintered base of the Flow Infinite.. I'd give that a go maybe? I'm tuned in to see what others say
Unfortunately I don't have any candles and my shops are too far away for me to go pick one up before I hope to ride again. Tognar recommended this material for sintered bases but all the info online was for candles so i kinda had to wing it...hoping someone on here has experience
brucew. is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
why would you clamp ptex? ...ur supposed to light it up and let it flow

the epoxy is to seal up exposed core/wood...let it fully cure and then flow in the ptex
wrathfuldeity is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brucew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ice Central
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
why would you clamp ptex? ...ur supposed to light it up and let it flow

the epoxy is to seal up exposed core/wood...let it fully cure and then flow in the ptex
Because it's not that type of ptex, its a piece of base material. you don't light it and drip it like a candle

i was following the directions from tognar


Quote:
First, cut and peel out the damaged base material using with a base template and repair knife.
then cut a new patch from these p-tex sheets (rough side down)
glue into place on the ski or snowboard base with epoxy.
Clamp the patch firmly (not overly tight or the epoxy will be squeezed out) using small c-clamps and flat wood or metal plates to distribute pressure evenly over the patch.
Allow adequate time for the epoxy to dry.
After removing clamps and plates, re-prep and hot wax the patched base area as usual.
brucew. is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
it kind of looks like you just have a gouge without any exposure to the core...if that is the case...scrape out the epoxy and properly ptex. if you don't have it...go early to the hill...if they have a good shop they can do the repair in a few minutes
wrathfuldeity is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
 
wrathfuldeity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bham
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew. View Post
Because it's not that type of ptex, its a piece of base material. you don't light it and drip it like a candle

i was following the directions from tognar
idk...does not look to be big enough for a patch...just de-wax and reflow with some ptex
wrathfuldeity is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brucew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ice Central
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
it kind of looks like you just have a gouge without any exposure to the core...if that is the case...scrape out the epoxy and properly ptex. if you don't have it...go early to the hill...if they have a good shop they can do the repair in a few minutes
unfortunately the core is definitely exposed
brucew. is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
If you have to use that instead of the candle, try widening out the area. Also did you use anything to remove wax from the area before hand? The wound should be square instead of a V for that repair to work best.

Even mineral spirits should remove the wax from the surrounding area... You mentioned sanding but you didn't say anything about removing the sanded crap from the area. Sand if need be, wire brush, but you'll have to use some sort of solvent to give the epoxy something to bond to.
poutanen is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
brucew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ice Central
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
If you have to use that instead of the candle, try widening out the area. Also did you use anything to remove wax from the area before hand? The wound should be square instead of a V for that repair to work best.

Even mineral spirits should remove the wax from the surrounding area... You mentioned sanding but you didn't say anything about removing the sanded crap from the area. Sand if need be, wire brush, but you'll have to use some sort of solvent to give the epoxy something to bond to.
I lightly sanded the area to remove any wax or crap. I'll have to do it again now to remove the epoxy from the failed patch. I did square it off so I'll try it again with a wider surface area.


Thanks for the advice
brucew. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome