Why don't companies publish equipment weight? - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #31 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
seriously? this thread is about 3 pages too long.

I'm glad you guys all care about how much your gear weighs. I must have been missing something today when I was hiking the ridge and dropping into untouched steeps and not thinking about that shit at all. I'm headed back in the morning for more of the same I doubt I'll even remember to laugh about this post.

Keep up the good work internet.



sorry I'm such an asshole, I love you all, but the weight of your gear is stupid to my stupid mind so there.
This is not an "I want the lightest gear" thread, it is a "why advertise a product as lightweight and not actually publish it's weight" thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
More of a curiosity thing for me. I just put the heavy C60s in place of the Customs on that blue board.
See!!!! This shit is interesting to me!! You take Burton's top of the line, lightweight, high performance bindings from 2010 and compare them to an entry level binding from 2012... both EST, both medium... the difference is almost half a kg!! That's half a pound per binding. I wonder how a medium Diode compares?

When it comes down to it, it is just another factor, which sometimes is welcome. You see two bindings from two different companies. Same flex patterns, similar price, great reviews of each. What else is there to help you decide?

In the grand scheme of things, I find letting weight be a factor to be far less atrocious than letting color be a factor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Here's the real answer. Companies don't post weights because they have nothing to gain from it. In fact they stand to lose a lot from it. Companies posting weights would result in a weight war. Right now they have the freedom to design a product that performs and is durable. If they have to make stuff lighter then it will break more often and warranty claims go up. You also run into customers buying the wrong gear trying to save weight. Undersized boots, bindings, and boards would happen a lot.
Yeah, I would not want to see a weight war. And you would have every newb riding around with the stiffest, lightweight, carbon fiber bindings.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #32 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
See!!!! This shit is interesting to me!! You take Burton's top of the line, lightweight, high performance bindings from 2010 and compare them to an entry level binding from 2012... both EST, both medium... the difference is almost half a kg!! That's half a pound per binding. I wonder how a medium Diode compares?
Yeah I was a bit surprised by the difference. It's actually about 400g difference which is almost a full pound!

I don't have EST Diodes but I do have Medium Re:Flex Diodes. I'll weight them next time they're off the board.
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #33 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,360
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Do y'all weight weenies weigh your outerwear, too? I suppose you all use the Smith Maze helmet which AFAIK is the lightest one out there.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Varza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
When it comes down to it, it is just another factor, which sometimes is welcome. You see two bindings from two different companies. Same flex patterns, similar price, great reviews of each. What else is there to help you decide?

In the grand scheme of things, I find letting weight be a factor to be far less atrocious than letting color be a factor.
What else? Color! oh, wait...

When ALL things are equal, then yes, I will go for color as a factor. But all things are seldom equal. One is usually at lease a couple cents cheaper...
Varza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lead, SD
Posts: 39
Default

I'm not concerned.

I'd lose the phone, pipe, weed, wallet, flask, water, knife, gopro, and random junk in my pockets before caring about how much my setup weighs.

haha
PDubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #36 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDubz View Post
I'd lose the phone, pipe, weed, wallet, flask, water, knife, gopro, and random junk in my pockets before caring about how much my setup weighs.
Not to open up the debate again, but comparing gear weight to weight you carry, or your suit, is apples to oranges. Anybody here ever heard of unsprung weight in a car? It's the rims, tires, brakes, hubs, and portions of the strut. If you can shave a couple pounds of unsprung weight off a car it'll make a real difference in lap times.

So for us, boards, boots and bindings are the unsprung weight at the end of our springs (legs). You will feel a pound or two under your feet that you wouldn't feel if you carried it in your pockets.
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #37 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Not to open up the debate again, but comparing gear weight to weight you carry, or your suit, is apples to oranges. Anybody here ever heard of unsprung weight in a car? It's the rims, tires, brakes, hubs, and portions of the strut. If you can shave a couple pounds of unsprung weight off a car it'll make a real difference in lap times.

So for us, boards, boots and bindings are the unsprung weight at the end of our springs (legs). You will feel a pound or two under your feet that you wouldn't feel if you carried it in your pockets.
Not buying that at all. In fact, I reckon the opposite might be the case - adding a pound of weight to your bindings plus a couple of pounds to the board will make much less of a difference than having an additional 1.5kg in your backpack.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #38 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Not buying that at all. In fact, I reckon the opposite might be the case - adding a pound of weight to your bindings plus a couple of pounds to the board will make much less of a difference than having an additional 1.5kg in your backpack.
Except for that all too common scenario when you are hiking with your board on your backpack...

His statement was totally valid. Take some 5 lb ankle weights and put them on your ankles for a day. Then just put them in the pocket of your hoodie. In which scenario would you have more soreness in your legs?

I would like to reiterate that this thread was not to argue about weight reduction of a few grams... per all these weight weenie comments. The purpose was to identify a reason why companies advertise light weight products but do not post actual weights.

You are all lying if you claim that when you pick up a new pair of boots or bindings and they are super duper light, you don't say "wow these are friggin' light!" Often, for people in many different scenarios, you can't physically pick up an item and examine it (online purchases, especially in other countries.) In these cases, I think a weight would give you a better mental feel of what you are purchasing.

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 02-23-2013 at 11:44 AM.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #39 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Do y'all weight weenies weigh your outerwear, too? I suppose you all use the Smith Maze helmet which AFAIK is the lightest one out there.
I don't weigh any of my equipment. A huge complaint among non-helmet wearers is they don't like the extra weight on their head. And it's a Smith Vantage... not a Maze.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #40 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Not buying that at all. In fact, I reckon the opposite might be the case - adding a pound of weight to your bindings plus a couple of pounds to the board will make much less of a difference than having an additional 1.5kg in your backpack.
I'm about 15 pounds heavier this year than when I finished last year (beer addiction!)... If I were to add 15 pounds to my board/boots/bindings I think it'd be almost unrideable!
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums